Maintenance/Ships Log?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharked

Veteran Member
Apologies, if this has been asked before (I did some searching and couldn't find anything concise)

I am wondering what is recommended for keeping track of routine maintenance and ships log? Are they one and the same? or different logs?

I know some prefer a excel file, others a notebook, but I am looking for advise from those of you who are long time boat owners, having done long voyages/liveaboards.

Being in the IT field for the past 25 years, I prefer software over paper, but I am curious what the best practice is?

Paperbook, I think for me, would be hard to keep track of when a specific maintenance is due? I would need some kind of reminder, or notification.

I am used to my car telling me when to do an oil change!

If this question should be in a sub-forum, please feel free to move it!

Last edited:
I know when I bought my almost twenty year old boat from its first owner I was grateful to have a handwritten mechanical log of all the repairs, maintenance, and upgrades he had performed or had done over the years. Maybe a spreadsheet would have had the same effect, but the overall impression was of a boat that had been very well cared for and that I could buy with confidence. One way or the other you definitely should keep for your own benefit and for future owners.

I use a log book. The front pages are a log of our travels. The back pages, starting on the last page and working forward, are a maintenance log for things I've done with dates. Also capacities, part numbers, notes on where spares are kept. A spreadsheet or Word document would work equally well, but doing it with pen and paper is handy. I'm on my third book for this boat

Being as you state you like computer logs over paper, have a look at James Hamilton's work for his vessel MV Dirona.
https://mvdirona.com/2020/08/ships-log/
https://mvdirona.com/2015/03/maintenance-log/
He "shares" these for anyone to use.
Personally, I just used a notebook for tracking maintenance. I divided it into sections for major systems such as: engine; generator; bow thruster; electrical; windlass; plumbing; etc. Then I entered work done in chronological order in the appropriate section noting date, hours, what was done, by whom, cost, etc. It worked well for me, and the new owner told me he thought it was very useful.
Good luck.

I have a log, but an even faster answer to the "when was that part changed" question is to write on it with a Sharpie or (sometimes better) a paint pen. When the transmission heat exchanger has "7/94" written on it, it's time for a change, not time to look through an old log book (if there is one).

I have a label maker on board for just that purpose. Every consumable has a sticker with the date and/or engine hours when it was last changed.

I'm an Excel fanatic at the office, but for the boat I started with a simple narrative Word file and then it's grown. Still pretty simple though, now in five sections.

1. Pending/current to-do list.
3. To-do list for items over the winter after they pull the boat (for example, this winter we'll need to send the bimini to a canvas shop in Omaha for replacement).
2. Finished/Done section.
3. Battery and alternator inventory, which is actually a Word table in columns with battery specs, install date, water top-off dates, and results of the last voltage tests, and volt and amp tests for the alternators.
4. Bilge pump inventory (specs and gpm) and last confirmation date they were working.

There are certainly more complex or sophisticated ways to do it, but I can search the Word document and find anything instantly by word or phrase. For example I change the anodes as needed, so I just have to search "anode" and find the last date of change and the measurements so I can order replacements. It's 12 single-spaced pages lately, but it does help to have that cumulative information in a single document. If something fails and I think to myself, I just changed that! -- I can search the document and remind myself exactly how long it's been since the prior replacement or repair.

60 items in the to-do sections right now, and 153 items total. It also covers the dingy ("#43. Need to swap the bulb in the dinghy's bow light for an LED.") I thought about doing a separate document for the dinghy but concluded that's unnecessarily fussy.

Apologies, if this has been asked before (I did some searching and couldn't find anything concise)

I am wondering what is recommended for keeping track of routine maintenance and ships log? Are they one and the same? or different logs?

I know some prefer a excel file, others a notebook, but I am looking for advise from those of you who are long time boat owners, having done long voyages/liveaboards.

Yes, asked and answered before, several threads with more info. Maybe search on "Excel" and see what returns (since that's commonly mentioned).

FWIW, I use Excel. Consolidated workbook with several individual worksheets -- to suit my fancy. Project list, engines, genset, plumbing, trips, pump-outs, etc. Saved copies in cloud storage so I can access from ship's laptop, home computer, tablets, etc.

(All of our systems manuals and boat documentation, ditto that cloud storage thing.)

I also do paper trip logs... in a proper purpose-made log book, available from your favorite chandler. Usually details from this are eventually transcribed into the Excel file, too, but at my leisure.

-Chris

I have an extremely detailed logbook that is captured in excel.

It captures everything from trip information through refrigerator defrosts.

I have been called neurotic once or twice. If anyone is interested in a copy send me a PM with your email and I will send you a sample.

I keep a spreadsheet including costs for all work done, both maintenance and improvements/upgrades. It helps me for reference and also should be useful during a future sale. I also try to caprure Engine and Generator hours, but not always. I don't usually bother with a trip log as I don't see any value in them. If I were doing more extensive cruising, perhaps I would.

make a master file
drop more files in it with
Excel spread sheet
Also have a file of all new items manuals
You would be surprized after 10 years how hard it is to find the exact manual for a item.
I even do this for home stuff

We've started using a piece of software name of "VesselVanguard". Early days yet as I'm still setting it up but so far we have 150 items equipment set up per part number, location, maintenance requirements/hours, spares and supplier. Seems pretty intuitive. I have no connection with the supplier but if I helps here is a link:https://main.windward.wheelhousetech.com/login

I have a '84 GB trawler I've owned for 9 years. I enter all maintenance performed in the maintenance log I inherited with the boat. There are still plenty of pages left. The log is for "what was done and when". It also includes upgrades. For the essential maintenance items "what to do and when", I use a separate Excel spreadsheet I developed. It's not automated to give me a notice on my iPhone or computer but that's certainly a good idea.

I see no boat under your avatar section; are you interested in maintenance log for a gas or diesel, single or twin? I have kept Excel records for both single and twin diesel boats, both with generators and will be happy to send you copies going back to 1986 for one of the boats. But if you are not of an organized mind familiar with Excel, it would be of limited use to you. While marking things like filters and other maintenance items with labels and sharpies has appeal for others, I find that because every routine maintenance item I have in my auto-updating Excel file is on one easily viewed page that I pay no attention to the labels/marks on oil filters for instance. What if I don't happen to look at the item or forget something in an obscure place? Excel never lets me forget because I am frequently into the file. My file has the one overall summary page (right down to replacing the batteries in my SOS light) which automatically highlights in yellow anything beyond the current date or engine hour entry I make at the top of the page. Next page is a running series of dated narrative entries followed by cost and single-letter equipment code. Next page is a list of every part or piece ever bought or stuck into the various equipments over the years. Next page is the oil sample results of engines and generators. Next page is a listing of battery installations (this information is also noted in page 2, but I wanted a separate listing for better tracking). Another page lists each modification to the boat and cost. All this is searchable so I can find and extract just about any information anybody could want. And NO, it takes virtually no time once set up. I will spend about a minute updating the file today about a digital ammeter I added yesterday.

Most of my maintenance is seasonal. Some in the spring, some in the fall. A generator oil-change mid season as well as in the fall. I know I get a pump-out every 3-4 days. If I can't remember, I ask my wife.

I see no need to record maintenance ad-nauseum. If a pump fails, it gets replaced. If a hose is stiff and cracking, it gets replaced. I monitor things on a regular basis and replace as needed. If something fails that gets replaced too.

Being in the IT field for the past 25 years, I prefer software over paper, but I am curious what the best practice is?

Paperbook, I think for me, would be hard to keep track of when a specific maintenance is due? I would need some kind of reminder, or notification.

I am used to my car telling me when to do an oil change!

If this question should be in a sub-forum, please feel free to move it!

I am a young man compared to most here. I am less than clueless about spread sheets. Never understood how to use them so I doubt I would ever learn how to read them properly. I'd prefer a good ole hand written log book.

We keep a paper log for maintenance. It simply consists of date, hours (if applicable), and what was done. Everything from oil changes to head rebuilds to parts changes is noted.

We keep an excel spreadsheet for the time-sensitive things, such as lubrication systems and stabilizer seals. We use the one by the Hamiltons, formerly of MV DIRONA. This helps me remember things.

We keep a paper ships log for operations. This is useful for licensing renewals/upgrades and insurance purposes.

All of my machines - wheeled, winged, and floating - have returned a favorable price upon resale. I attribute this to actual condition, backed up with documentation/chronology. All of our boats will be for sale, someday.

Best Wishes

We keep two logs, one on Google Spreadsheet and an traditional on-board logbook.

The spreadsheet has parts numbers, reminders for maintenance, costs etc, similar to what others have reported. The logbook is kept by the Admiral. She has excellent handwriting and is included with our trips (destination, date, times, operating time, estimated fuel, names of passengers, note on wild life.....) The log book will be ours for memories.

I have been doing this long enough to be on the third or fourth laptop, at least the third operating system, and have seen failures in the electronic logs transferring from one platform to the next. Unless you are more tech savvy than I, electronic logs may die when you need them the most.
My paper log books have followed me the whole time, so I know where I can find all teh valuable history on the vital maintenance items. Some of that information has been successfully transferred to an electronic format, but some has been lost after that transfer.
Today I noted in my maintenance log the completion of installation of a completely new holding tank system. I didn't make any electronic note of it, until this post, and I have no intention of doing so.
I have more blank pages left than I have used in 28 years with this boat, so fear no losses with the written log.

I started my logging long before PCs, tablets or the like were available so I have continued.

I do my own work with only a few exceptions and I log it all.
I have a Mtce. Log covering the machinery and boat mtce, I have a separate running log in a small 3 ring memo style binder of the guage readings when actually travelling and of course our travel log done by my wife.
The machinery log has a notes section with what was done and the parts and supplies used plus costs.
The machinery log also has a bunch of check sheets of 4 square graph paper with all the common service items such as oil and filter changes, adjustments, electrical repairs and addons. THose are marked by an X for checked only, R for repaired /replaced, S for service meaning adjustments usually.

THose check sheets are broken down to engine functions, gearbox functions, alternator , guages, haulouts, sanitary systems, water supply systems and so on with the date and hours. I can then quickly scan through the check sheets to find a specific item by date, by running hours, and function so I don't have to go through the entire written detailed notes section to find an item or two.

I also keep all the manuals with a couple of exceptions in several large 3 ring binders so they can be found easily and in good shape.

Maybe this will help or not but that is my way.

There is a lot more but that should be enough.

Last edited:
One advantage of the electronic maint log is the ability to save links to manuals, parts info, suppliers, tech rep sources, etc that a simple click can connect you.
The ability to easily search part #s to find sources and best prices as well.

Back
Top Bottom