New diesel fuel tank threaded connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
New diesel fuel tank threaded connections
I’ve just installed some new diesel fuel tanks.I’ve had a several new hoses made for the connections that have threaded ends. From what I find Teflon tape could be used for the threaded fittings to the tank. Would anyone recommend something else instead of Teflon tape?

The Brockert’s

Definitely not Teflon never good for fuel system. Do little research to see what pipe though is compatible with diesel fuel

My favorite pipe sealant is called Leak Lock. You can use it to seal just about everything on a boat, diesel, gasoline, lpg, hydraulic fluid, salt water, potable water and much more.
https://highsidechem.com/leaklock/

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 28
No teflon tape, it can get into the injection pump and injectors. Leak lock is good.

This thread tape is much thicker than the white tape. It’s industrial grade and is diesel safe.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 26
No teflon tape, it can get into the injection pump and injectors. Leak lock is good.
One would hope and expect that there would be a filter or filters before the pump.

Most people are unfamiliar with the proper technique for using teflon tape, though.

Last edited:
Ask Steve D about it. I will take his opinion any day.

My favorite pipe sealant is called Leak Lock. You can use it to seal just about everything on a boat, diesel, gasoline, lpg, hydraulic fluid, salt water, potable water and much more.

https://highsidechem.com/leaklock/

+1 on Leak Lock.

I replaced my two steel diesel saddle tanks (225g each) with four fiberglass tanks (110g each). I was obviously concerned about sealant for the threaded crossover connections. I reached out to Steve D'Antonio who also recommended Leak Lock.

Peter

I like a combination approach. I’ll use a wrap of good quality tape, being careful to leave the first thread bare. Then use a sealant like loctite 545 or 569 depending on what I’m working on.
I find the single wrap of tape eases removal down the road while the sealant improves initial and long term sealing.

It's indirectly related, but that is the tank material, and what are the fitting materials? It's just as important that they be compatible materials as the sealant used.

I use Rectorseal #5.
I have also used Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket . Neither has leaked where I have used them. My favorite these days is the Rectorseal or similar..

I will NOT use any of the TFE tapes. I do my own work on my boat, mostly, and also did a fair bit of Hydraulic repairs at work and WE NEVER USED TFE TAPE.
The cost of chasing down a wee piece of tape that decided to do some thing else was not worth it , not even close.

THe tape is good in other applications as long as you use it properly as BMarler describes. Leave the first pipe thread alone , no tape, and go from there.

I still don't like it since if ever you have to dismantle those fittings then you must be carefull to get all the wee TFE bit out or the threads.

JMO

Back
Top Bottom