fly bridge opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was not on our must have list. I stay out of the sun.

The boats we were looking at come with or without a flybridge.

The boat we settled on had a flybridge. We didn’t even uncover it for some months after our December purchase. As it turns out, we are glad to have it, for the following reasons:

- it nice to run the boat up there when the weather is nice. We are high and have great visibility. Bimini top for the sun.

- wildlife watching.

- great conning station for close quarters, like backing into a slip.

- great conning station for watching the water depths when gunkholing.

- desirable conning station for situational awareness when anchoring.

- safe place to get up high to find a distant contact.

- another space on the boat, somewhere to get away, like the bow or pilothouse or cockpit.

- private, quiet observation point in a marina, above the dock traffic or the neighbors.

- storage, ours has a hydronic expansion tank and spare anchor rode, among other things.

So, even though we didn’t really want one, we actually use our flybridge for all of these things, frequently. We run about 300 hours per year, and spend most weekends aboard 9 months of the year.

I don’t particularly care for the appearance, I don’t like waxing it, and the added weight up high is probably not helpful.

There may be some resale benefit as they seem more popular than not.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Good point mentioned by others -

We are definitely in the pilot house over 50% of the time. Probably 80%.

We had a 34 mainship for 15 years with a FB. It was enclosed and we drove from the FB 99% of the time since the lower helm on the Mainship was tough to see from. All the electronics were located on the FB and there was a Red Dot heater up there to keep warm.

The bimini and clear plastic curtains required constant upkeep and several replacements at great cost.

Even with the top overhead, we were exposed to too much sunlight for too many hours per day. I certainly did not want my wife or I to look like some boaters we see with leathery skin that looks like an alligators.

Sandpiper has no fly bridge - yea! No more bimini and isinglass cleaning, carrying food and beverages up stairs.

We don't miss it a bit. If I want to drive from outside, take the remote and sit in the Portugese bridge.

The raised pilothouse is elevated to allow excellent visibility.

In return, I have a huge roof to store crab pots, kayaks and a 12' sailboat.

Anybody know what a "stand or sit on the saloon roof with steering & controls on the pilothouse roof" arrangement is called?

Transpac Eagle 40's are made like that. Here's one:

MV Mischief | Cruising in an Eagle 40

That would be my choice...best of both worlds.

Problem with that [nice boat's] "bridge"... can't well see the bow's nose. Creates a blind spot for close-touch docking maneuvers.

We love and 99.9% of the time use our flying bridge. Great for cruising in general, relaxing at anchor and for 360 degree vision when docking. It's just two steps up off our comfortable sun deck. Lots of storage too. Bimini tops shade us on both locations.

We couldn't fully enclose our fly bridge due to covered berth height. With both bimini down I have to slightly duck under ridge beam when entering/leaving berth... over the last 11 years I have gently smacked my noggen a couple times. Been in closed bridge on other boats... feels somewhat confining. Probably not too bad as long as the windows/screens could be dropped or fastened upward. We love the breezes while on the bridge.

My top two requirements on a boat: Dual pilot stations. Standup, easy access engine compartment.

Have full pilot station in salon. I believe in redundancy aboard a boat. Retreated once from bridge to salon during windy, rainy day with 4' waves in SF Bay. Really glad all three wipers worked and their blades were good; I'd replaced the blades a year prior! :thumb:

Problem with that [nice boat's] "bridge"... can't well see the bow's nose. Creates a blind spot for close-touch docking maneuvers...

Don't want it for that.

We photograph wildlife while sneaking our boat in quite close to shore and rocks, which is doable because of the steep mountainous shorelines around here. I miss many shots being in the pilothouse at the controls, because the margin for error is so slim with wind & currents that I can't leave the helm for too long.

Sometimes I can jump from one door to the other and crack off a couple photos before having to get back to the helm, but it's a pretty limited angle of view anyways.

A command bridge would be awesome, and am pondering the installation of one on Badger.

There is no right or wrong answer like for many things, only personal choice based on how you enjoy boating and regional climate.
Up here we enjoy cruising from our flying bridge as we enjoy each minute of sun we can get during the 6 months (at most) boating season we can get and most of the time, when we get out to cruise it is especially to enjoy a nice sunny day. When raining, or when cruising during cold October days, we enjoy the warmness of the lower helm.
See it as a convertible car, like it or not, find it useful or not.
Is is required for a boat, no. May you enjoy it, maybe. All depends on what you like.

L

Chiming in from your Pacific NW... We have both. However, our FB is completely open. Probably use the pilothouse helm 85% of the time underway. But really do love driving up on the FB on warm, sunny days. Wish we had more of those! We actually use the upper deck more for relaxing and entertaining. Still, I'm very glad we have an upper helm. And though I wouldn't spend the money to enclose it (and add windage), I would like to have some extensive covers for the "wetter" months.

We don't have a lot of electronics up there, just the basic engine gauges (but no tachs!). We do have the Furuno wireless radar, though. So I can carry my phone or iPad to the FB and have radar and nav charts.

As far as docking, whether I'm singlehanding or with my crew, I use the lower helm 100% of the time. Sliding doors port and stbd give me quick access to side decks, etc.

For me, a PNW & BC boat should have an semi-enclosed cockpit, minimally a bimini, preferably a hard bimini with soft canvas roll down sides, think nasty rain in the wind. Walls up if the rain is coming straight down.

The Northwest Coast boat definitely should have a diesel heater so one is warm in the off season.

The Northwest Coast boat should have solar panels and Efoy fuel cell energy to supplement when needed. Quiet on the hook and lots of power for the basics. I have yet to hear a quiet generator.

After all these "essentials" then I would consider a FB but although I would like one, more for pulling in and out of tight marina spots, I don't like that the boats center of gravity is moved higher. A higher center of gravity means a boat rocking and rolling more. I have known two boat owners with 45 foot plus boats who are nervous to go out into the Strait of Georgia in a medium blow because there boat is moving around so much.

I do a lot of transiting the Strait on a beam reach so to speak so the side profile of the boat is important to me. Lower is better.

Because of the rain we encounter if off season and shoulder season cruising, the essentials to keep me powered up, warm and protected, when in the cockpit are more important that a FB.

But I must also admit I'm not a sun worshipping type. Sunbathing on a beach for me is more a torture than a benefit. So I don't mind not being blasted by the sun on a hot day up on a bridge. Instead down in the protected shade of an inside helm while my guests sit around inside and out, I get to socialize with them.

. Instead down in the protected shade of an inside helm while my guests sit around inside and out, I get to socialize with them.

Socialize? Yes but from a distance, 2 meters between guest! Lol

L

1. My dermatologist demands that i stay out of the sun.

2. The bulk of my instrumentation and autopilot are at my lower helm station.

3. My coffee pot is at my lower station.

4. My fridge is at my lower station.

5. I spend 90% of my time below.

I absolutely would not be without my flying bridge

a. There is no substitute for the all-round visibility when entering a marina and putting a 43 foot boat down a 50 foot fairway and into a 45 foot slip.

b. My guests find it irresistable.

There's more to a flybridge than just an upper helm...

We had a boat with both flybridge and lower (not raised "pilothouse") helm and I liked having both stations. OTOH, we only used the lower station a very few times, mostly when it was really cold out, or when sea states made our big dogs so nervous we stayed down below with them.

Got tired of the ladder.

Tried a boat with only a lower helm, also not raised. Visibility sucked, and we live in a land of crab pots.

Went back to a flybridge, this time with no lower helm. But this one came with our additional requirements: stairs (not a ladder), hardtop, full enclosure.

Aaahhhh....

OTOH, we are just now considering whether age and health are beginning to suggest both upper and lower helms, this time a lower being raised if we go that route. And there's something to be said for not having to come down off a flybridge in bouncy sea states just for a trip to the head...

Just observations, not a recommendation. YMMV.

-Chris

As others have pointed out, not all flybridges are made equal. So whether you find a flybridge useful will be somewhat dependent on the boat (and also what its lower helm setup is).

There are also some layouts (like mine) that have neither a flybridge or a lower helm. I've got the classic Chris Craft high mounted aft helm on top of the aft cabin. So it's not as high up as a flybridge, but it's semi-enclosed. Basically positioned like a raised version of an express cruiser helm. Real windshields with wipers, 2/3 length bimini (which I'll probably replace with a hard top at some point), isinglass side curtains. If you put the back cover up it's pretty usable in bad weather and in theory you could (inefficiently) heat it somewhat for cold weather use. Seating for people and the main deck area where you'd spend time is right behind and level with the helm, so you're not isolated from guests or anything. The bimini being 2/3 length extends from the windshields to just behind the helm seat, so when the back covers are down, the people on the aft seats can get sun.

We have an upper and a lower helm. The upper is fully enclosed with a canvas bimini and isinglass curtains. If it's cold or raining, then we run from the lower. If it's nice, we run from the upper. Basically, anytime visibility through the isinglass in the upper curtains is hampered by fogging or a lot of rain, or if its just cold up there, then we operate from the lower. All docking and departing is done from the lower where I can access the the side decks and midship cleat from the flush-step side door.

My last vessel didn’t have a fly bridge and we purchased Reni it made a huge difference for me with visibility going through the locks or going through the cut. Although during rainy weather our Hi-Star has amazing visibility down bellow I love having the fly bridge for spotting wildlife and being in the sun......when it shows itself ?

I've got the classic Chris Craft high mounted aft helm on top of the aft cabin. So it's not as high up as a flybridge, but it's semi-enclosed. Basically positioned like a raised version of an express cruiser helm. Real windshields with wipers, 2/3 length bimini (which I'll probably replace with a hard top at some point), isinglass side curtains.

I always liked the classic "Wheelhouse" style motoryacht. Some of the older Hatt's had them too. Totally agree it's a good balance with the only big tradeoff being aft line handling is difficult.

Here's a Dutch-built steel trawler(Lowland 47) built in this same style. I was aboard her many years ago when the original owners had her. Very nice layout and built for extended cruising.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/lowland-kotter-long-range-cruiser-trawler-lrc--3544720/

I always liked the classic "Wheelhouse" style motoryacht. Some of the older Hatt's had them too. Totally agree it's a good balance with the only big tradeoff being aft line handling is difficult.

The line handling thing is why I tend to say my boat requires 2 crew. No singlehanding unless under very calm conditions. I've got good full walk-around side decks, but it takes too long to get from the helm to the aft deck, then around to the side, or down through the cabin and out the side door. So generally, it's preferable to have someone to start handling lines, giving the helmsman more time to get down to assist.

The line handling thing is why I tend to say my boat requires 2 crew. No singlehanding unless under very calm conditions.

For this 'wheelhouse' style, it's marginally better than many sundeck style boats that either don't have reasonable side access off the lower helm (GB's and similar are decent, classic motor yachts often aren't); or the lower helm visibility is poor enough that you would never dock from down below unless your upper helm is broken (I speak from experience with my Willard 36). I'm guessing that on your boat, the helmsman is in a good place to assist in line handling as long as there is someone on the dock. GB's aren't bad either as you can usually get a springline on from the lower helm.

Good shout-out on this style of boat. They are rare these days. Unfortunately so - older Roughwater 42 comes to mind. Sort of a Frankenstein mash-up of wheelhouse + raised pilothouse. I liked them, but same issues with line handling.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there should be a distinction between a lower helm in the salon and a pilothouse. Our lower helm would take forever to get the window covers off and curtains opened to use. We have never used it. True we are fair weather boaters too.
A real pilothouse should have good visibility and access to the side decks and I wouldn't mind having one and would use it more.
If you have both you have a choice. One or the other you don't.

I have yet to hear a quiet generator.

That's the point.

With Gen Seps, sound enclosures and proper installation, you won't hear a quiet generator running.

Last edited:
I absolutely would not be without my flying bridge

a. There is no substitute for the all-round visibility when entering a marina and putting a 43 foot boat down a 50 foot fairway and into a 45 foot slip.
That's been my experience over the last 40 years of boating. I have a 4 sided flybridge Lexan enclosure that I absolutely love! All my electronics are up there and all cameras on the boat (5) are controlled from the bridge or the salon. It seems to me that a good enclosed flybridge is almost mandatory for a SoCal boat.

Attachments

• OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Flybridge.jpg
    Flybridge.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Stern View.jpg
    Stern View.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 36
It’s not accurate to blame flybridge’ s for a boats poor stability. There are many more factors involved.

While most will tell you that the flybridge is only usable in better weather this does not need to be the case. My flybridge is heated and I also have heated seats. Now this is not the norm but it can be done.

As I mentioned earlier there is no right or wrong answer. Everyone just needs to find what works for them.

If I was to have another boat built I wouldn’t bother putting a helm inside. Of course I live in Florida. I suspect that might make a difference.

I am getting from your responses the weather and where your located plays the biggest role. My thought was we do get nice days for a few months in the pacific nw but for the most part it can be cloudy and kind of dreary .I would not want a lower helm only and were thinking elevated pilot house style like and american or nordic tug.

Magna,
As I stated in an earlier reply, personally I did not want a flybridge, but I did want a separate pilothouse, hence we ended up with a Nordic Tug, but we looked at a number of American Tugs as well. I mostly try to avoid sun exposure (never did like "sun bathing"), so I enjoy operating our boat from inside the pilothouse with both side doors open providing for a good cross breeze, and when at anchor, lounging in our cockpit at least slightly under cover protected somewhat from the sun.

I like having an area for boat operation that is "somewhat" separated from the galley and/or main living space.
However, that is me, what I like may not be right for anyone else :) You have to decide how you think you will "use" your boat.

That's been my experience over the last 40 years of boating. I have a 4 sided flybridge Lexan enclosure that I absolutely love! All my electronics are up there and all cameras on the boat (5) are controlled from the bridge or the salon. It seems to me that a good enclosed flybridge is almost mandatory for a SoCal boat.

Looks like your visibility would be a "bit compromised" from the lower station anyway. :whistling:
Glad your flybridge works out well for the way you like to use your boat! :D

Here’s a vote for “no fly bridge,” although as others have stated, circumstances and needs vary....

I have a pilot house with doors on each side, and opening railings to enable quick movement in and out. The view aft isn’t perfect, but I do have cameras... The windage is better without the additional upper structure, and I think the overall boat stability is improved by keeping weight down low. I enjoy getting out in the winter, and the pilot house is warm and comfy!
When I need to use the head, it’s closer, ditto the galley :)

Good luck!

Looks like your visibility would be a "bit compromised" from the lower station anyway. :whistling
You are absolutely correct and that is a key reason why we wanted a dinette rather than a salon helm station. Since we love to troll when underway, mounting the dinghy on the stern was not an option. besides, the view from the bridge is extraordinary!

Attachments

• Bridge View.jpg
    Bridge View.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 41
I hadn't thought of it offhand, but as someone else mentioned, if you have a two helm boat (and on a big cruising boat we wouldn't have anything else) with a decent flying bridge, you will find the majority of guests will gravitate to the FB.

In places such as the Bahamas and Keys, being able to read the water is key, and there is no better place to do it than up on a FB. Likewise, coming into a crowded anchorage or mooring field. Then you have places like the California Delta, where the view changes dramatically when you are able to see above the levees.

Here’s a vote for “no fly bridge,” although as others have stated, circumstances and needs vary....

I have a pilot house with doors on each side, and opening railings to enable quick movement in and out. The view aft isn’t perfect, but I do have cameras... The windage is better without the additional upper structure, and I think the overall boat stability is improved by keeping weight down low. I enjoy getting out in the winter, and the pilot house is warm and comfy!
When I need to use the head, it’s closer, ditto the galley :)

Good luck!

Sure Spinner, it works for you cause you can always walk over and hang out on my flybridge. LOL.

Actually, Spinner is a good example of not everything is for everybody.

That's the point.

With Gen Seps, sound enclosures and proper installation, you won't hear a quiet generator running.

I have left my boat with the generator running. The thing is just too darn quiet. In fact, sometimes at anchor I have to listen hard in order to assure myself that the genset has not shut off.

Back
Top Bottom