Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #1

City: skradin croatia
Bow noise

Hi, as ex-sailers we just bought a Swift Trawler 50 but we are surprised about the noise the waves makes against the bow when we are on anker (tok-tok/bonk-bonk/clotch-clotch...)

Any solutions??
Vermeerbergeb jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 AM   #2
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Congrats on the new boat!

I have exactly this issue because of the shape of my hull at the bow. It can be even more annoying if you're in a harbor and a floating beer bottle gets stuck there in the middle of the night! My solution has been earplugs while sleeping.

I've read of one other solution that reportedly works on a Greenline 33, but it seems a bit ugly and too much of a nuisance for me. If you can picture a long, rectangular piece of water-proof sail cloth (or similar), with grommets and lines on each end... One end is tied to the bow rails on one side and the other end is maneuvered under the bow and up the other side...and tied tightly the bow rails there. This is supposed to stop (or reduce) the waves slapping under the curve of the hull.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome, and good luck with your new boat!

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #4

City: skradin croatia
Thanks for the idea...
Vermeerbergeb jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 AM   #5
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Spray rails make it worse. I have just become use to it. If things are rough we sleep in the salon
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I have seen one report with pics of an owner that glasses in the fwd portion of the chine around the water line. That seems the only real solution to help it without deploying all sorts of gadgets (swim noodles, cloth coverings, etc) that provide limited relief.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
That drives us crazy too. Big reason we always went up there and listened when checking out prospective boats. Typically full displacement boats don't have it or it is minimal. Some people use foam floating pool noodles to mitigate it a little. Some add additional sound proofing to the cabin sides. Or ear plugs. Some just don't mind it. You might consult the boat maker for ideas.

We prefer aft cabin or mid-cabin boats as a general rule. I don't like being shoehorned into the bow, in a non-v-berth nor the multiple steps to accommodate the angle of the bow.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
Guru

I love that sound. Lets me know what the wind is doing by the sound and frequency.
I miss that as I now have an aft cabin boat.
When the wind pipes up we can't tell the difference.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
My boat has pretty bad chine slap as well. Fortunately, it's fairly rare that we're anchored somewhere with enough chop to make it bad (6 inches or so and it starts to get loud) and also have someone trying to sleep in the forward cabin. We can hear it in the aft cabin (particularly if the door is open), but it's not enough to intrude on sleeping back there.

For the most part, it's the price you pay for having a boat that can plane (although some designs are louder than others).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #10
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
My boat does it BAD. It is the nature of a planing hull. Hard chine with a spray rail that diverts the bow wave outward to get a bit more lift and control the spray. Pretty necessary when running 15-20-25kts. Downside is it makes a "corner" that traps even the smallest waves or even wavelets. Even worse on mine as it is a lightly built cold-molded hull. Rings like a friggin bell.

Once it was so bad I rigged a monkey line to the anchor line and a stern cleat so the boat hung ass-too. Not a fun or even safe situation depending on where you are, but at least we got some sleep.

I always try to find an absolutely slick anchorage, but that is not always possible.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

Once it was so bad I rigged a monkey line to the anchor line and a stern cleat so the boat hung ass-too.

Yes! This is is something I try to think about even when laying alongside in some marinas having a bit of exposure to the weather. I've even been known to turn the boat around if I find I tied up facing the "wrong" direction.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #12

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
You'll get used to it. I was surprised by the noise when we first got one of our previous boats with a mid-ship master. Would I ever be able to sleep with it?

After a week, I did not pay attention anymore. Had the boat for 10 years-never gave it a second thought.

No issues with our current boat (52 GB). Hull is overbuilt, no chines/spray rails.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Luckily we have an aft cabin master so we don’t hear that.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I have seen one report with pics of an owner that glasses in the fwd portion of the chine around the water line. That seems the only real solution to help it without deploying all sorts of gadgets (swim noodles, cloth coverings, etc) that provide limited relief.
I filled mine in. Problem mostly solved.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Many years ago I was at a boat yard in Portland, OR. They had a ~55' boat under plastic and were grinding on the hull. I peeked in to see what they were doing and they were grinding off the hard chine up near the bow. Then they were going to fill it in with some kind of filler and gelcoat over it.

Owner didn't like the slap of the waves.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #16
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Keep in mind, if you expect the hull to plane, filling the chines will hurt performance. If you don't actually plan to run much above hull speed, then go for it.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Nice and quiet at anchor with a displacement hull.

The problem is that few people give this a consideration when selecting a boat.

A heavy tarp with strong grommets may be the easiest solution. The tarp can also be used for an emergency repair to slow a leak if the hull is damaged.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #18
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Ear Plugs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Maximum...&s=hpc&sr=1-18
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
From listening to a few who have tried noodles, tarps, etc. it appears that then you get the noise of the tarp rustling in the wind and the wavelets slapping against it, or the noodles hitting the side of the boat. Some people are just more sensitive to noise, and some boats are better at generating it.

I've been thinking about this more lately, as our next boat may be what Ann calls a "Camping Boat" something for short cruises, but with a little speed to it. Which likely dictates a planing boat with a bow stateroom. Anchoring being our prime motivation for cruising, it's a potential issue. May have to go the ear plug route, but that makes me uncomfortable in another way from a safety standpoint. That's boating for you, one compromise after another...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #20
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
My parents had a hundred year-old school clock in our house when I was growing up. We didn’t hear it ticking. Friends would visit us and ask how we could stand listening to that noise maker all the time! Drove them crazy. We didn’t hear it! My wife and I currently have that clock in our house...along with six others. We don’t hear them. Should one of our clocks stop, I’ll hear it! I believe after a while we become desensitized to sound in our environment. Live with the wave slap. It’ll probably disappear from your senses.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote