Private moorage rules in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Based on Firehoser75 comment on a separate thread about the price of a moorage in BC, I am wondering about private moorage rules in Canada.
For some while I started to search about that and here is what I found:
1. If you setup a private mooring buoy it must not be an obstacle in the navigation channel (quite obvious)
2. You are responsible to maintain your private buoy (again obvious)
3. The buoy must meet the standard color scheme (fine)
4. The buoy must indicate owner coordinate like name phone etc (again fine).

So my question is, let say there is a nice bay on the lake or river I cruise most of the time and this is the place where I usually drop my anchor to have my favorite glass of wine while watching the sunset, can I setup my own private buoy there so I do not have to deal with anchoring if I meet the criteria mentioned above???

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Can't comment on the legal side of things BUT what if late some Friday evening you show up and there is someone already tied to your mooring? I can see problems developing which would not occur if you were simply anchoring all the time.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Can't comment on the legal side of things BUT what if late some Friday evening you show up and there is someone already tied to your mooring? I can see problems developing which would not occur if you were simply anchoring all the time.
From what I read you cannot prevent somebody to tie up on the buoy when free BUT they should leave if you are coming as the owner if the buoy. And if I remember correctly there should be mentioned on the buoy that it is private and usage is at own risk and reserved for owner or something like this.

L

Are there any Rules? Is there a Govt. Authority?
Here, Roads & Maritime (odd combination but there it is) licenses you to install mooring apparatus in a place precisely identified by coordinates. You pay an annual license fee,you must maintain the mooring annually, and it`s not available for other users, though it happens. Most people use a mooring contractor to lay and maintain the mooring.

"Can't comment on the legal side of things BUT what if late some Friday evening you show up and there is someone already tied to your mooring? I can see problems developing which would not occur if you were simply anchoring all the time."

Almost anyone will depart a mooring when the boat with the same name is on the transom as on the mooting.

IN the UK it is common to mark the mooring with the size of the boat that owns it ( in tons) , so you don't have a 50ft roomeran hanging on a day sailer mooring.

Back
Top Bottom