Input requested from those who made the leap in to retirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an offer in on a former 48" oilfield crew boat. It needs some refurbishment on the interior but is otherwise built like a battleship, DD 8-92s, etc . As a semi retirement thing, in conjunction with a couple of dive shops on the emerald coast I had planned to get it going as a charter dive boat for groups. Eventual plan was to turn it over for others to operate.
Miss Micki poo pooed the idea so i'll just continue with small projects.

Business trip? Check
iPhone? Check
2 Makers doubles? Check
Result? An interesting exploration into my sub conscious fears!

Thank you to everyone who has shared their opinions and experiences. My concerns have been about unrealistic expectations. And the posts made thus far reaffirm the continued need to plan as I've done throughout my life, even in retirement.

In my personal experience, I see way too may retirees return as contractors. They complain of being bored, etc. My intent was to hear from others outside my usual circles to obtain a different perspective on retirement. Thank you for helping with that objective. As my lists are many regarding feeling fulfilled, the next chapter will be driven by new priorities, much as many of you have written about.

BTW, started my career at ZAN. :)

Simply purchase a great boat that is run down.

It will take most of the years your bride needs to bring it back to snuff, and you will learn many new and exciting trades.

I'm more a type "B" personality (read that as not highly driven, but far from lazy) who retired at the end of 2010 after working 50+ years. My retired clients used to tell me that they were busier now that they were retired than they were when they were working and didn't know how they had time to work.

I laughed at that, but find that now I have to agree. And like them, I'm not sure what I do to keep myself busy but I'm busy much of the day.

As for your retirement questions - I retired at 55 and my wife was concerned I would get bored. I laughed and reminded her I never have been bored before. My "to-do" list on the boat is in an excel spreadsheet and is over two pages. There is always something that needs cleaned or maintained.

Yep. Don't know how I ever found time to hold down a day job. Especially in the decade preceding retirement, where 60-80 hour weeks were common.

I have about 9 hobbies, so now I have time to do more of them. Except boating still gets in the way, during season. And we don't have room for my guitars and drum kit, and wifey's grand piano, onboard, anyway. :)

Around here, it's not uncommon to see retiree boater guys driving the water taxis, volunteering with USCG Aux, teaching (sometimes about boat-related topics), "consulting" (in whatever field), etc.

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. t. You no doubt have qualifications and interest to pursue a "second career" in order to keep yourself occupied. Many have directed their comments toward aviation and boating but to further expand on what may have seemed silly comments in my post #13 might I suggest a radical shift?
Start something completely new not involving planes or boats. Your experience in analysis and management and whatever other inherent skills you have may be applicable to a new field of endeavor. Acquiring a new skill set may present more of a challenge and be more satisfying than continuing on with same old, same old.
Think outside the box. That is the reason I suggested University courses and cooking school. Try something you've never done. A number of members have taken up sewing (see the various canvas threads-YES, pun intended!). Learn a new language or musical instrument. Taxidermy...Hell, I don't know what to suggest. There must be something you've seen in your past that at the time you thought "Gee, that looks really interesting".
Perhaps you can assist your Admiral in her career or in some aspect of her career? The mind boggles.

And we don't have room for my guitars and drum kit, and wifey's grand piano, onboard, anyway. :)
-Chris

I do hope in our case that there's room aboard for one acoustic since my plan is to be more disciplined about learning guitar in retirement--in fact I'm having one custom-built.

I retired for the second time last December (the first one only lasted a week). I'm having lunch with a guy Monday with the potential for some consulting work for my former employer, but I'll have some pretty major strings attached. If I can do minimal work that doesn't impinge on my free time from the sun deck or flybridge, I'll consider it; otherwise, I'm retired for good.

Greetings.

I've been on the other end of your conversation (the guy in the cockpit) for the last 30 years and am also sniffing the exit strategy and have asked the very question you do.

I had a six pack for a while and could get it back. Or go larger, and again wear a Captain's hat and "drive the bus".

But, since it's mostly for fun and not for money (no one will pay me what I made) I've been looking hard at volunteering. There's a lovely maritime museum not too far away (St Michaels MD) and they ALWAYS need volunteers, heck maybe I'll get to drive the tour boat. But I also don't mind giving tours or getting my hands dirty.

Another volunteer avenue is the Auxiliary Coast Guard. Safety inspections are a great way to educate the boating public. Most of us that know enough to find this forum have the basic skills. But we all know that there's loads of people out there that could really use some basic stuff.

Teaching safety courses is another way. Some areas this is done commercially. Or, if you want to make a business out of it you can be the guy that helps the new owner get started in his boat. Work with brokers on this.....

There's many ways. I'll see you out there. "So long".

Assistance towing is where I wound up after 23 yrs in USCG ( almost all aviation) and then 4 years kicking around various marine trades, teaching and delivering boats.

After 13 years of assistance towing, salvage and general maritime captain jobs with the company...the "on call" situation got old (but that was that one outfit's issue)...so I quit... there but still get call occasionally as replacements are hard to find and certain jobs require different talents.

Not for everyone...but getting the call day or night was similar to the rescue alarm going off with the USCG...but knowing it wasn't life or death (usually) was perfect for an old, scaredy cat helo pilot.

Any day could bring a long tow through unfamiliar waters, burning boat, sunk boat, interesting scientific mission, towing a barge, etc, etc.... just up my alley...operator with a varied mission profile.

Great pay when towing and plenty of time to work on the trawler. The match fit...till it didn't.

Last edited:
In my experience you need to plan your retirement as you would a new career. I agree with the previous comment that working at something full time at lower pay is dumb, stay where you are.

I retired before my wife and we had some difficulty because my freedom gave me the opportunity to do things that she couldn't. Eventually she retired as well and was very happy she did even though she gave up a great high paying job.

Be very careful about pursuing some maritime or similar job. It may look like fun but will also have its problems and just pay less. remember everyone's avocation is someone else's vocation. For some reason the grass is always greener.

Volunteering is also difficult as the organization will already have its hierarchy and despite your skills and experiences you will start at the bottom of the pecking order. To get on the board in an advisory of many art and charitable organizations
require large financial contributions. As with starting or buying a small business do you really want to buy yourself a job????

part time is difficult for type As as they tend to fully commit to whatever they are involved in and part time becomes full time.

Yet part time, consulting or on call allows you to work more at your own pace and lessen stress while still working 80 hrs a week

But now it's on your schedule and includes working on the boat or house or getting ready to sell large items, taking over household chores that are a burden on full time workers, sifting through a lifetime of stuff and getting things in order before setting out or forbid...worse things, etc.

Think ahead to retirement but don't let the thinking paralyze you either. We can all give you our perspectives but you still cannot know how you will feel.

Freedom and time are the key and that includes freedom to decide it's not for you and start a new career. I'd think you'll have to search to find something to fill your time while your wife still works. Be willing to change and take new directions if the first choices don't make you happy. I'm going to toss out some of the things we didn't know.

We had no idea how much time we'd spend on boats. Would it be full time? Would we quickly tire of even having our land home or would we miss it so we couldn't stay gone more than two weeks at a time. The first year we did a combination of one week trips, two week trips, three week trips and a six week trip thrown in. Then we tried a month on the water, two weeks at home, then six weeks on, three weeks off, then two months on, one week off. Then and only then did we find six and three worked best for us. Still we vary it as circumstances require. Friends who just started have done the same trial and error and find a month on the water then a month home on land is perfect for them.

As to work. Retired completely. Well, almost. How about a small business of some sort, maybe one store, just for something to still keep my business mind happy. Ok, maybe two stores. Well, maybe I should hire someone to run them and maybe three or four. I had no idea where i was headed. My wife knew I couldn't give up business completely. Ended up hiring brilliant managers who run things mostly without me and we get to mentor and observe and participate occasionally. Our managers got carried away but in a good way and only now are we slowing them down a little so they can relax some and enjoy what they've built. However, had you told me we would build what they have, I would have told you that you were totally insane.

Did my wife retire completely. No. She did and didn't. She doesn't get paid now except when she assists me on infrequent consulting projects and as Co-Chairperson of our business. However, she's a teacher. Will always be a teacher. Loves developing and implementing and assisting with reading programs, whether for an orphanage, a school, a school system, an after school program, a community program or a church. She has that freedom to just do it when she wishes and to give away that which others dearly for.

We moved to a new area at retirement. We'd only spent a week in the area prior. A huge gamble but we were sure. Had it not worked out, we could have reversed course, but it did work for us. When we decided to relocate, we knew one person in South Florida, a realtor we met on a plane ride. That brings us to another huge benefit of retirement. Look at those gathering for the beer bash in Fort Pierce (my wife made me use those words. I typed something else first). They couldn't have done that working, wouldn't have even known each other. Well, working, we now realize how few people we knew outside those we worked with. Now, a new group of friends. Now, people you can actually spend time with, days even. Such a luxury of time.

Retirement isn't for everyone. For some, just a lighter work load might be. You have to figure it out but don't be afraid to admit if you get it wrong. We have an older couple who look after our house. She's a cook extraordinaire, he's a maintenance and carpentry guru, and they both love gardening. We've asked them about retirement and they look at us like we're idiots. They say they'd do the same things if they were retired, those are their hobbies, now they just get paid for it. Well, this wasn't their profession until their employer of 30+ years each closed a few years ago. They started doing odd jobs and gardening for those who don't and handyman work out of necessity as they weren't retirement age yet but had a very difficult time getting jobs. So a new career was born from their hobbies and they have no desire to retire from it.

Now to those who hate retirement. It's those who never developed any hobbies. I knew a man who retired at 79 after two knee replacements and two hip replacements and he just couldn't physically handle the job anymore. He had no hobbies. He felt his value as a human was gone. Plus he had to listen to his wife all the time, no escape. For us, boating was our hobby, music is, we love museums and art galleries, we play basketball and tennis and there's more we love and would do if we only had more time in the day.

My wife's favorite word and the one she taught me and brought to my life is "Passion." Not just in the way you first think of it. It's an important word. You need to have things in life that you are passionate about. If it's to build a princess book case for your granddaughter, then great. If it's fishing, then great. Find something that really turns you on. That turns existence into living. If it's helping at the senior center or teaching kids to read or working the line at the local soup kitchen. If it's woodwork although you're lousy at it.

It will take most of the years your bride needs to bring it back to snuff, and you will learn many new and exciting trades.

Not to mention the extra paycheck to "buy necessary" items for said boat......:thumb:

My wife's favorite word and the one she taught me and brought to my life is "Passion." Not just in the way you first think of it. It's an important word. You need to have things in life that you are passionate about. If it's to build a princess book case for your granddaughter, then great. If it's fishing, then great. Find something that really turns you on. That turns existence into living. If it's helping at the senior center or teaching kids to read or working the line at the local soup kitchen. If it's woodwork although you're lousy at it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for a passion to fill the void left by your passion for aviation. When I considered retirement at 55, I learned from watching my coworkers retire then come back as contractor or start another part-time flying job. They were bored and had no passion beyond the job and family. I knew I'd leave flying behind as I entered retirement. I wanted to buy my dreamboat but wasn't sure if it would fill the void or if I'd really like it. As it turns out, it was a great fit for me.

Five years before pulling the plug, I bought my boat and started learning the ropes and modifying the boat to meet my style of boating. I knew that once I entered retirement, much of the discretionary funds would no longer be available. It allowed me to use those funds while I was working to make the boat my own. Even in retirement I was still installing some of the components I had acquired in the preceding years. I like the idea of purchasing a boat that will require several years of fine-tuning to get it to where you want it in anticipation of your wife's retirement, especially if she shares your love for cruising.

I found many areas of boating are very similar to aviation and require a similar set of skills and knowledge to complete successfully. To me, it's been a rewarding and enjoyable passion. Through TF, I've had the opportunity to meet and become friends with several locals of a similar mindset. To payback, I volunteer here on TF as a mod and enjoy the interactions with my 'imaginary friends'.

If I wanted to work in retirement, I would have continued my career in the FAA (SAC FIFO). In my mind, it was the perfect flying job for me and no other could have fit as well. After losing a couple of siblings in early adulthood and then my parents, I refocused on taking the time to enjoy the life around me while I still have the health to do it. So I bailed on the first day of my retirement eligibility....the day before my 55th birthday.

I have never had a shred of regret that I made that move when I did. My wife is also retired and follows her passions while I chase mine. Sometimes they overlap and we do things together and sometimes my boat feels like the perfect floating man cave! It's a good mix for us...Life is good!

I do hope in our case that there's room aboard for one acoustic since my plan is to be more disciplined about learning guitar in retirement--in fact I'm having one custom-built.

Oh, I could probably squeeze one on board. :)

OTOH, I'm too worried about humidity and salt air to take one of my good ones... so haven't solved that yet.

-Chris

I went out as soon as I could. I did not intend to lie in my death bed wishing I could have worked more. My wife went out at about the same time. It's been ten years and every day is still a dream come true.
I initially volunteered one day a week at a non-profit doing pro-bono work helping disabled children obtain special education services. It wasn't long before I found myself putting 80 hour weeks.
I retired a second time. I still take a case or two but right now my focus is rebuilding two velvet drives in anticipation of a trip up the Hudson to Lake Champlain. (or maybe the Erie Canal) (or...)

I retired about 20 years ago. Boating was and is a central theme around which I keep myself occupied. Aside from my boats I joined a yacht club and got involved and also joined the Coast Guard Axillary. It works for me. No way of knowing what works for others.

Oh, I could probably squeeze one on board. :)

OTOH, I'm too worried about humidity and salt air to take one of my good ones... so haven't solved that yet.

-Chris

Go carbon fiber. Friend of mine bought a mandolin made from cf and he loves it and it sounds great. The cost is less than half what I spend for a custom.

Works for us though she wasn't that run down, just cosmetically untidy and some soft spots in the decks.

Over time the ply decks will be replaced with foam a section at a time and the topsides are getting sanded and painted in sections as well.

All of this is done while we live aboard on the hook and cruise around

Go carbon fiber. Friend of mine bought a mandolin made from cf and he loves it and it sounds great. The cost is less than half what I spend for a custom.

Maybe they make one with gut strings and bronze tuners? :rolleyes:

Think I'll just pack a beater. :thumb:

Was convinced that every year of employment past retirement-eligibility, would reduce my lifespan by two because of job stress (the job was confrontational). So took the opportunity. Now my life primarily consists of eat, sleep, and play, as well as traveling and contributing one morning a week to a local non-profit.

Last edited:
ES335 with black chrome hardware. An old rockman and Bose headphones:thumb:

My wife fully retired last June and I semi retired. I work 10 hours a week for the same company as a consultant. I can do the work anywhere, home, boat, beach, etc. Anywhere I get a cell signal. Retirement felt extremely strange the first week and if I retired in the winter it might have been a problem. Since we went out in June we started cruising right away the strangeness went away within a month and there is no way I would go back to working full time.
John

Greetings,
Mr. mp. While I can't really comment on your theory, I can say every year you work past retirement eligibility is one less year you have to enjoy your retirement.
Mr. t. Maybe try a vocational guidance counselor...

Works for us though she wasn't that run down, just cosmetically untidy and some soft spots in the decks.

Over time the ply decks will be replaced with foam a section at a time and the topsides are getting sanded and painted in sections as well.

All of this is done while we live aboard on the hook and cruise around

Indeed SIMI, and really no hurry to even do that. I bet no-one has gone through those decks. The sky does not fall. As long as water is not getting through all you have is a slightly 'springy' (sounds better than soft), area here and there.

I have had the same 'springy' area on my upper deck for the whole 15 years now we have owned Lotus, and it does not leak, no-one has gone through, it has not changed. Yet now on sale, it is amazing the prejudice prospective buyers have against a bit of 'spring' in the odd part of the deck, as from the apocryphal stories they have heard from scare-mongers, they expect the place to disintegrate under them the next time they step on it. I would think the main criteria a boat should meet would be watertight, strong, sound hull and engine, and all essential items to work. It would appear not. But it's amazing how once the boat is yours, and you've lived with it, (in your case, on it), for a time, those various 'imperfections' assume their proper order of priority, many becoming that "I'll do that some day" items. It's a pity those same minor items put many prospective buyers off who really know nothing about boats but what they've read. Ask me how I know..?:D

I semi-retired in my early 40's. That lasted about two years. At the time, I came to the conclusion that, at least for me, relaxation was only fun in juxtaposition to hard work and stress. I missed the challenge of business, so I went back to work. Honestly, if I don't have something planned for the weekend, I get bored by noon on Sunday. Three-day weekends can be a killer. At this point, I don't think I will ever retire, but I do want to spend a few weeks at a time out of the office in order to go on longer boat trips.

I share this because I think the ability to be happy in retirement is highly personal.

Greetings,
Mr. mp. While I can't really comment on your theory, I can say every year you work past retirement eligibility is one less year you have to enjoy your retirement.
Mr. t. Maybe try a vocational guidance counselor...

RT, can only say you weren't in "my shoes."

I just retired at the end of December.

First I would sit down with your missus and ask a very important question - "What do you see us doing together when we are both retired?"

If it isn't trawlering, then you need to move along until you find that joint love, with one caveat, leave a little space for the things you love to do separately as well.

We have two loves.

First, I am one of those lucky people where the other guys in my waterfront neighborhood look at my wife and say "I wish my wife liked the water as much as her."

She was taking the 15' RIB out on her own yesterday and a coupe of neighbors saw her as she was in the lock. They asked her where she was going and she told them off to the local crab shack for lunch. After the lady expressed surprise the lock master told then "she is always out running around in this thing!"

She is currently in the market for a two person canoe to throw on the back of Sonas.

Just this evening at dinner at the club we told a table that we would see them in June as we are off to the Exumas for three months. One of the ladies asked us if we had a crew. My wife puffed up her chest and said "yep, you are looking at her!"

Secondly, so as not to get stale with boating, and boating, and boating, we love to travel. We just got back from two weeks in Ireland. After the Exumas we are shooting off to New Orleans to visit some friends, then OK and MT to visit the kids. We are going to spend September between Italy and the UK.

Then back on the boat for the fall.

Find something you both love and something each of you love separately. Spend time on the stuff you both love but give ourselves space for the things you individually love.

Good luck - and if you can do it now, get off the treadmill and start enjoying what you have earned!
Good posting.

I only wished my Thai wife could swim, and was not afraid of the water. Then I might get a chance to build (and live on ) one of these Pilgrim 'redesigns' I've been playing with. That would be fun (for me), and a real accomplishment.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212.html

Plus I need a trip to Italy (never been), and a few canal boat cruises in Europe.

full circle...ha...ha

This story is my inspiration to slow down, reassess, and get real about how I want to live life.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna.

The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”
The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”
To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.
The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”
“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

This story is my inspiration to slow down, reassess, and get real about how I want to live life.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna.

The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”
The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”
To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.
The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”
“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

LOL! Indeed much effort to get back to starting point!

I've looked at those a little. Pretty proud of themselves. None of my current guitars are custom -- even if some, like the Ric 360/12, were pricey -- so carbon $$$ seemed a bit much. So far. Still looking.

Maybe they make one with gut strings and bronze tuners? :rolleyes:

Think I'll just pack a beater. :thumb:

That's been my first thought... Another, coupled with that, is something like an Ovation, at least partly synthetic. The one I already have is probably too high-end, though, and the extra 12-string tension on the neck might be problematic in the marine environment... so a lesser model might be better.

ES335 with black chrome hardware. An old rockman and Bose headphones:thumb:

Nice! I've got a Blueshawk, smaller (suits me better), but similar in concept... Rock star nephew-in-law once got me a tiny little battery powered Fender amp, fits in the palm of your hand, and that works well enough. Marshal makes a similar tiny stack. :)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom