An interesting development

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art in the last 12 m I bought 2400+g of diesel at an average of $6/g or $14,000. My boat is a 2007. I rebuilt the shaft, cutlass, replaced the stuffing box, redid various engine components, serviced the SeaKeeper, watermaker and plumbing. We replaced the flooring and redid the woodwork. Worked on the AC and serviced the heating. Also serviced the genset. Also replaced he electronics and had 2 short hauls for the bottom and running gear. Finally had the outer skin of the boat deck removed to replace all balsa with foam then reskinned along with having junction between flybridge and deck glassed instead of being connected by caulking.
My costs are in excess of $100k. Admittedly like Peter she’s near a like new boat and the next cycle of refit is probably a another decade away. Still after having multiple cruising boats believe your estimates of costs are way off. The general statement of 10% of purchase is probably closer to the truth for ICE/grp boats. Have every reason to believe cost of ownership for LDL/hybrid would be less.
So now let’s look at a hybrid LDL.
Al- no maintenance of hull beyond bottom and running gear. No waxing, buffing, Al grip or paint. 10 y replacement of walking surfaces. Modest costs for anodes but comparable to grp.
50% or greater decreased costs to maintain ICE engines (generators and propulsion) with similar improvement in service life. Both from some portion of electric propulsion and greatly increased efficiency of hull as well as alt energy for house loads.
Inherent improvement in propulsion redundancy and safety.
10-20% increase in initial costs. Offset in part by increase in residual value at end of ownership. Sooner or later dinosaur juice is going away.
As said above for individuals with very modest use economics favor used ICE but for new construction I don’t think that’s the case for a cruising boat. I understand few people cruise and average use is under 5000nm/year. But a segment remains who either travel internationally or snow bird up and down the coasts annually. Average length of ownership is around 5y from what I understand but cruisers tend to hold onto boats longer in my experience. So the economics for cruisers is different. Furthermore there’s little doubt in my mind that ICE service costs will continue to rise as will fuel costs.
The economic downside of a LDL hull is berthing costs. For equivalent lifestyle and usable living space a LDL hull will be 25% or greater LOA with similar rise in berthing expenses. While traveling anchoring out decreases this expense but it’s usually obligatory whenever the vessel is stored be it at a home point or times owners are involved in other activities. Still with even modest ICE cruising boats in the 40-50’ range costing in excess of $1m for new construction LDL/hybrid at a price point of $1 3/4 to 2 1/2m become competitive in that market.

As an aside know the N41 and 51 are in great demand. Neither offer enough appropriate surfaces for solar to meet hotel demands if living aboard. Both will face increasing annual cost of ownership. Both are extremely capable cruising boats but doubt few will be used to their capabilities. Costs are comparable to the various series production LDL/hybrid currently on the market. North American sailors and boaters are very slow adapters compared to other markets. However earlier it was posited which you would buy-ICE, hybrid or pure electric. If in the market for a new cruising boat even during this transition period of time I’d rather own hybrid than a dinosaur design fueled exclusively by dinosaur juice. Naval architecture has evolved as have propulsion systems.

Last edited:
I’m neglected to mention that my old Makita has NiCads. But still, lithium should last even longer.

I actually started to ask you if they were NiCads but decided not to because you would have said that;-)

Not long ago I gave away two Makita cordless drills, one right angle, that I bought in 1988, the NiCads were shot but the drills still worked, I was unable to find replacement batteries at the time.

I understand few people cruise and average use is under 5000nm/year. But a segment remains who either travel internationally or snow bird up and down the coasts annually. Average length of ownership is around 5y from what I understand but cruisers tend to hold onto boats longer in my experience. So the economics for cruisers is different.

Way under 5000nm/yr. If you do the math on number of hours on 20-year old boats, I'd reckon the average is probably a shade better 1/10th of that. Like you say Hippocampus, there are folks who do the snowbird migration, but I have a sneaking suspiscion that most folks (even trawlerites) do day-trips a weekend or two a month in the summer, maybe a couple extended trips per year (meaning 3-7 days or so). The Steeler - the boat noted 300+ posts ago to kick-off this discussion - would be great for 90% of the usage (day trips); and workable for the other 10% (generator).....provided there was charging infrastructure at the dock.

Lot of differing perspectives in the 300+ posts, but I'm a bit surprised the overall tone is slightly thumbs-down. I know it's bleeding edge at this point (vs leading edge). But that's part of the lifecycle of technology. Heck, on the boat-technology continuum, I'm clearly well into the 'old-school' end of the curve. It's not for me, but I can definitely understand why a boat like this will find enthusiastic buyers.

Peter

I think electric boats will be cool.

But they have to be designed for efficiency and solar.

I'm thinking a long narrow full displacement (canoe) hull with a total solar hard roof over.

Not going to look like a trawler, more like a sailboat w/o sails. But better yet, stick an easy sail up through a hole in the solar roof. Going to need some remote controls, but that shouldn't be a problem for "the boats of the future"

Yeah, exciting times!

Even with current microprocessors panels do poorly when shadowed. On the last boat our productive panels were on the the hard Bimini. That was aft of the boom. Even so with the rags up they would be shadowed at times so production would fall. At rest it was sometimes worthwhile to move the boom so there’d be no shadowing. Shadowing from the mast is unavoidable. Even stays and antennas decrease productivity. So agree DR exciting times but think if you want to maximize solar real estate and production to the extent you eliminate the possibility of shadows you’d avoid sails and masts.

I think it's honestly hard to forecast this for any boat. None of us know what boat models might become more or less desirable 20 years from now, so some boats will suffer more depreciation than others.

Also, in your example, I think the fuel cost calculation is way off. 100 miles done 26 times per year at 2 nmpg comes up to 1300 gallons per year. At $5 / gal, that's $6500 per year in fuel, not $812.50. The listed 162.5 gallons would only get you a little over 3 of those 100 mile trips, not 26 of them.

If I had not stopped drinking 27 years ago... your corrections make me wonder! - LOL

With fabric sails wouldn’t hold my breath. Technically more feasible with rigid wing sails. However production won’t ever be comparable to unshadowed panels at a near horizontal position. Angle of the rays incidence too far off for a cell in a near vertical position. Ideally the panel should be at 90degees to the rays. Some cruisers do attempt to have some adjustments to try to achieve this but it’s usually a fool’s errand as the angle varies with point of sail , time of day as well as season and where you are in the world.

If we're talking about having electric propulsion, sails become an interesting question. What gains you more savings in fossil fuel use in the long run? The sails, or reduced solar panel shading? I'd bet that for at least some usage patterns, the sails come out ahead.

With fabric sails wouldn’t hold my breath. Technically more feasible with rigid wing sails. However production won’t ever be comparable to unshadowed panels at a near horizontal position. Angle of the rays incidence too far off for a cell in a near vertical position. Ideally the panel should be at 90degees to the rays. Some cruisers do attempt to have some adjustments to try to achieve this but it’s usually a fool’s errand as the angle varies with point of sail , time of day as well as season and where you are in the world.

You would also need cells on both sides of the sail. The weight would likely make them impractical as well as the fact that they will wear out much quicker and probably not be real reliable thinking that they would need to endure many cycles of rolling and reefing etc. Better is probably transparent sails which already exist, and more panels on deck, bimini, etc.

I was chatting with the Canadian distributor for Beta today. He reports that there is one hybrid drive in Canada, a 38 going into a Willard 30. Not much interest otherwise.

I have posted this before in another electric boat post but will do it again

Something to bear in mind on boats that don't carry weight well, which multihulls generally don't is the weight of all those panels and battery

I have an unfinished 55ft cat back at the dirt house that I have toyed recently with the idea of making her into an electric hybrid using one of the b series Cummins that are in as a 50kva Genset, selling off the other to throw at batteries.
Two engines plus 1500 litres of diesel would weigh around 2025kg.

My back of a beer coaster maths

Using Silent 60 power supply as an example and making it as "affordable" as possible:
If using common aluminium framed 275w panels 42 x @ 20kg each there is 840kg just in panels, let alone framework and cabling
If using near new 2nd hand that works out cheap at around $2500 in panels

Batteries to match it's (standard) 145kw bank will come in at 950kg just in cells alone if using EVE280 as an example.
That's $30,000 there in cells alone
If using Winstons, closer to $60,000
Add in inverters,mppt. Cables etc for another $80,000.
And we are around 2000 kg so close to weight of fuel and 2 diesels

If going the 225 kw option let's say at a guess 1800kg and EVE $50,000 Winston $100,000

Add in inverter chargers, mppt, BMS wiring, solar panels,framework, boxes etc it could easily get to 2900kg - that's 850kg heavier than fuel plus 2 diesels
Cost if using 5 Victron 10,000va inverter chargers and Midnite Classic mppt
Approx $80,000

And you still need to carry a big Genset and a diesel load to run it let's say a 50kw head on a Cummins B series and 650 litres of diesel so another 1000 kg

Things are adding up

TLDR:
Two engines plus 1500 litres of diesel would weigh around 2025kg - engine cost around $40k

145kw battery/solar/50kva Genset plus fuel weigh around 3000kg - cost around $130,000

225kw battery/solar/50kva Genset plus fuel weigh around 4000kg - cost around $200,000

And there my thoughts on electric hybrid ended

You don't *need* anything like that for your current use case. If you don't demand speed it's easy peasy.

You don't *need* anything like that for your current use case. If you don't demand speed it's easy peasy.

Are you talking to me?

Who's current use case?

Are you saying Silent Yachts have got their power calculations wrong ?
Speed if full time cruising for real needs to be 7.5knots minimum in my eyes.

What were performance expectations?

People in sailing mulihulls are giving up diesel propulsion in droves. They're not spending megabucks to do it.

Speed if full time cruising for real needs to be 7.5knots minimum in my eyes.

Mmm. What about 7.5 max? Huge difference.

Endurance? 24x?

Last edited:
People in sailing mulihulls are giving up diesel propulsion in droves. They're not spending megabucks to do it.
I don't know anyone who has

And even if they did they are predominantly a sailing boat

No discussion over on SF?

My new rule for electric. You don't plan for typical to be 70%. You plan for typical to be 100%. Understand that there is a risk of zero boat speed in some limited circumstances and plan around them.

Not arguing here. Ever since I met you here you've been loafing on the GBR and advocating leisurely cruising. That's what I assume would be the role for an alternate boat. That's why I ask.

My new rule for electric. You don't plan for typical to be 70%. You plan for typical to be 100%. Understand that there is a risk of zero boat speed in some limited circumstances and plan around them.

Not arguing here. Ever since I met you here you've been loafing on the GBR and advocating leisurely cruising. That's what I assume would be the role for an alternate boat. That's why I ask.

And out here loafing on the GBR we often do 100+ mile days, sometimes caught pushing 25 knots, 2+ metres and a couple of knots of current making waves stand up more again.

I don't want to be dicking around in some underpowered egg beater in that.

Boat also needs to carry a load.
As demonstrated for us, a diesel powercat can do it
A hybrid with a couple of tonne of panels, battery PLUS engine can not.

Last edited:
And out here loafing on the GBR we often do 100+ mile days, sometimes caught pushing 25 knots, 2+ metres and a couple of knots of current making waves stand up more again.

I don't want to be dicking around in some underpowered egg beater in that.
Your choice. Let's get to specifics. What was max speed, and for how long?

Your choice.

Not about choice
It's about safety

Let's get to specifics. What was max speed, and for how long?

Max speed 10 knots for 4 hours at any time if needed
Cruising speed of 7 knots continuous

Obviously to do that there will be dinosaurs burnt.

Not about choice

It's about safety

Max speed 10 knots for 4 hours at any time if needed

Cruising speed of 7 knots continuous

Obviously to do that there will be dinosaurs burnt.

Not 10 knots continuous? What's the constraint? It's ok to burn dinosaurs now and again.

Edit to add: was this a specifically designed limit for the proposed system?

Last edited:
Not 10 knots continuous? What's the constraint? It's ok to burn dinosaurs now and again.

Edit to add: was this a specifically designed limit for the proposed system?

Well the silent 60 with the big battery bank can't do it.
At best it's 8 knots for 9 hours

I reckon they would have put some effort into their calcs
I am merely piggy backing off of them.

I guess we're all familiar with prop demand curves. People deliberately put small motors in big boats. In Electric it's worth exploring the world from that perspective.

Slow is cheap, fast is expensive. That's true for diesel but 10x true for electric.

Back
Top Bottom