Old 03-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Lepke is a die hard Detroit fan and I am a die hard Yanmar fan. But I am making do with Cats as that is what the boat came with.
But you canít beat the price on these Chinese Cummins. Wow, that is definitely cheap. I wonder what the extras are?

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #22

City: Anacortes
I've a friend who was hired by a boatbuilder based in Taiwan who was expanding their boatbuilding to mainland China, to go there and train a crew of workers. A couple of his observations were that on mainland China they don't even understand what recreational boating is or why anyone would want to do it. So they have no understanding on why anything should be a certain way, like why put caulking under fittings, or sand a hull fair, or connect wiring to the correct terminals, any number of things. Also the workers are just looking to get a paycheck the easiest way possible, if they're not happy they just don't show up. In countries with established boatbuilding industries the workers tend to stay in the industry, moving from one builder to another, so they bring some knowledge with them. In China if a worker wasn't happy he'd just walk down to the next factory hiring, they could be making luggage, they don't care it's a paycheck. All this results in having to have a crazy amount of vigilance from the trained managers to ensure things are done correctly, but you turn your back, or go to lunch they'll go back to doing it the easy way. Even the experienced Taiwan builder that hired my friend finally gave up on the mainland expansion plans because they couldn't control quality and closed that facility.

sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Four things:

-- Would those who own trawlers made in China please raise their hand.
-- Compare build quality and design of a Fleming, KK or Nordhavn to certain vessels made in France or US.
-- What brands of diesels and gensets commonly used for boats are assembled in China today?
-- How many enjoy their Apple products?

It does get confusing.

My North Pacific was built in China. It has a Cummins engine however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My North Pacific was built in China. It has a Cummins engine however.
Curious. Do you know where your Cummins engine was built? Do you care? All the engine companies have factories worldwide and I never think of where they were built.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Curious. Do you know where your Cummins engine was built? Do you care? All the engine companies have factories worldwide and I never think of where they were built.

Donít know, and donít care. I donít know where the original engine was built and I donít know where my new engine was built either.

BTW, I got a call from Cummins Northwest a couple weeks ago just checking in and making sure the new engine was performing well. It is.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Donít know, and donít care. I donít know where the original engine was built and I donít know where my new engine was built either.

BTW, I got a call from Cummins Northwest a couple weeks ago just checking in and making sure the new engine was performing well. It is.
I very much care about service availability but don't care at all where the engine was built. You've really gotten superb service from Cummins NW and that's what is important.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I very much care about service availability but don't care at all where the engine was built. You've really gotten superb service from Cummins NW and that's what is important.

Yup, that is my attitude as well. They have stood by the engine and Cummins can be serviced most anywhere Iím likely to be.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Yup, that is my attitude as well. They have stood by the engine and Cummins can be serviced most anywhere Iím likely to be.
One of the primary reasons I chose Cummins.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
One of the primary reasons I chose Cummins.
And do you know or care where yours were manufactured?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"And do you know or care where yours were manufactured?"

The first world factories have higher labor costs so usually are willing to pay to automate as much of the construction/assembally as they can.

The bonus to the purchaser is the engine parts selection is greatly aided by their computers.

Knowing a dozen measure points on 5000 pistons allows the cylinder match to be far better than just random selection.

Same for all parts that should match to have smoothest operating engine.

In the past for a good engine a tech would match parts for size and weight , now its automatic.

For decades engines were simply assembled , same process as in 3rd world countrys today.

They ran OK , tho some ran lots worse and some lots better.

Today with more automation a far more refined product is created , with fewer lemons.

With 2-4 GPH needed for most displacement cruisers having great reliability at perhaps 30-70 HP

,A useful engine is possible, regardless of the nation that creates it or assembly skills .

If you need 2 or 4, 1100hp engines to get 40K from your 60 ft toy, first world assembly is desired.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Houston
I've lived and worked in Asia and have been exposed to Chinese products since this is the majority of what you have there.

Very simply, "hell no!".
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #32
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I am of an age (57) that I remember when “Made in Japan” used to mean cheap.

China is just getting their legs under themselves. It’s going to get interesting...
Yep. I have spent the last 3 years working on a tech development project manufactured in China.

What is very noticeable to me is that the Chinese are no longer just copying things and manufacturing on-the-cheap, they are now innovating - across the board.

They have also boosted salaries for their manufacturing engineering folks. Salaries for industrial engineering jobs in many parts of China are now close to being on par with the US.

Most companies looking for low-cost manufacturing are now moving elsewhere - Taiwan, India, etc.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #33
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The first world factories have higher labor costs so usually are willing to pay to automate as much of the construction/ assembally as they can.

For decades engines were simply assembled , same process as in 3rd world countrys today.

If you need 2 or 4, 1100hp engines to get 40K from your 60 ft toy, first world assembly is desired.
Take a look at this video of 3rd world assembly. Start at about 1 minute in to see how "pathetic" Chinese engine assembly is these days:

Mako is offline   Reply With Quote