Seattle, new to trawling, excited to learn all the diesel things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNW

Vessel Name
Changing Tides
Vessel Make
1985 CHB 38' Trawler
I'm Josh and my wife and I just picked up a Taiwan trawler for week-long trips around the Salish Sea, and day trips to Blake Island and back.
The ship is an '85 CHB 38' with twin Perkins. I don't really know a lot, as my previous were sailboats, but I'm currently not working and am making it my full time job to dive in and Begin understanding all the systems on board and their capabilities and maintenance schedules.

I have owned some old 70's sailboats, up to 34', so I'm pretty excited to move to an entirely different platform. I have off-grid dreams and this has tons of potential. I just need to make sure I don't take too many big risks in the beginning, and that's where I would LOVE your help, I want to just start putting all my questions out there and then my job is just soak up all the knowledge in the replies and go put in the hours of practicing it.

Here's what I have learned so far about the new boat, M/V Changing Tides:
A few main draws, I wanted to take long trips without insane fuel costs so diesel was a major focus of this idea. This vessel has Twin Perkins 185hp Turbo Diesel engines, and an Onan Diesel 8kW genset (not currently working, needs injectors serviced), and 400 gallons of fuel storage, so that seemed like a very good platform foundation from my limited knowledge.

boat type: trawler
condition: good
engine hours (total): 2200
length overall (LOA): 38
make / manufacturer: Fu Hwa

I had no prior knowledge about trawlers specifically but have known a handful of couples and single friends over the years who liveaboard around the Seattle area, and most of them lived in this shape of vessel, so when my wife and I decided it was time to focus on our Nautical Adventure Hilarity dreams, trawlers were top of my list. I knew they went slow forever and had tons of cargo space. One thing I had dreamed of doing on my Columbia 34 was to turn the v-berth into the galley as I've always felt those tiny v-beds were impossible to sleep in and generally became a storage zone. As you can see in the photos the previous owner actually managed to implement my exact dream scenario in a twin turbo diesel yacht, so I was in love soon as I saw that part!

I took the boat out twice during sea trials so I know I can confidently exit and enter the marina and dock without issue, as long as I have at least one crew mate to assist as I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery so I can't be running all over this thing with agility and nimble grace at the moment to solo dock it, just don't feel comfortable. What I want to know from the TF community is:

What is the minimum I need to know and be GOOD at before I can safely take my family out into the open Puget Sound?

I'm extremely risk averse and boating is one of the ways I streeeeeeeetch my comfort zone. So by default I want to read all the manuals, understand how all systems work, how they break, how to service and maintain them, and go through everything to make sure it works and has a backup if it's a critical system. Then go get my 100T Coast Guard license and then get in like 100 hours of time behind the helm.
In reality, when I got my first sailboat I hadn't even taken a class on it and I just took it out and figured it out and was scared outta my mind and could have easily died.
So I know there is a middle ground to reasonable preparation before a reasonably small outing, and then just going out longer, farther over time, but I need help with what's reasonable for this boat and the risks.

This has turned into a much, much longer intro post than I meant to write, but I'm trying to provide enough context to be interesting haha!

Cheers,
Joshua

Attachments

• PXL_20240320_011954252.jpg
    PXL_20240320_011954252.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20240320_151641_334.jpg
    IMG_20240320_151641_334.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240316_204355_773.jpg
    IMG_20240316_204355_773.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240320_185754_617.jpg
    IMG_20240320_185754_617.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240320_230156813.jpg
    PXL_20240320_230156813.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20240320_224842366.jpg
    PXL_20240320_224842366.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 31
Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your new boat.

Reactions: PNW
For your Puget Sound adventures you haven't got a lot to worry about as long as you are careful with weather. There is so much information available now it's hard to get surprised by bad weather on Puget Sound. Pick an app or service, watch the predictions, compare to real time when it can be found. Learn the weather systems here.

Join Boat US and get their towing assistance coverage. Great peace of mind.

Pay attention to boat safety which you probably already know from your sail boats. PFDs, fire extinguishers, smoke & CO detectors, bilge pumps, ground tackle. You know, all that safety stuff.

Start using your boat, that's the best way to learn it. You've purchased an older boat, unless you have endless time and funds it will never be perfect.

In my opinion one of the biggest issues faced on older boats is fuel. Clean fuel is essential. Change the filters, keep spares aboard, monitor things, if need be get the tanks cleaned.

As for getting the 100 ton certificate I question the usefulness of that for a recreational boater. Many of the "captain's schools" teach to pass the exam. Not information or training that is particularly valuable to the recreational boater. Yes, I know what I'm talking about having held a license since the mid 70s and watched the graduates of the "captain's schools". There may be better sources of education for you. America's Boating Club may be a good place to start.

Welcome.

I'm in Seattle too and made the change from sailing to a GB trawler a year or so ago.
You might want to look into joining a yacht club.
Get a USCG Aux inspection, they're free.

Jack

Is there a recent survey, anything on it to discuss there?

As Portage B suggests, start using a weather app to compare predictions to actual local conditions, like "Windy" or "Predict Wind." Most sailors coming over to the motor side have some weather experience.

Learn how to drop/set/retrieve your anchor safely, how to teach crew to do that too.
You will need that skill when fuel filter clogs and you lose propulsion!

One of the most hazardous things on a boat is a schedule: time vs weather state, learning when to no-go and or stay put on the lee of the island.

Radar: practice using that when the weather is good so its useful when the weather is bad.

And have fun doing it! Welcome aboard!

With diesel fuel is #1 2 and 3 cause of engine issues. As someone said previously have a spare fuel lift pump (if it has one) and spare filters on board. Have a close look at the tanks. Do they need replacing?

Next will be electrical - salt water and electricity do not play well together. You will be forever chasing bad grounds and corroded connecters.

I second the schedule comment. Don't be a slave to a schedule. If the weather is at all questionable you really don't need to travel to make a schedule. The latest rescue off Rosario is a good cautionary tale. Someone out in weather they should not have been out in because they needed to "get home".

For your Puget Sound adventures you haven't got a lot to worry about as long as you are careful with weather. There is so much information available now it's hard to get surprised by bad weather on Puget Sound. Pick an app or service, watch the predictions, compare to real time when it can be found. Learn the weather systems here.

Join Boat US and get their towing assistance coverage. Great peace of mind.

Pay attention to boat safety which you probably already know from your sail boats. PFDs, fire extinguishers, smoke & CO detectors, bilge pumps, ground tackle. You know, all that safety stuff.

Great post! I would add another thing for cruising out here in Puget Sound/Salish sea and that is to have a VHF radio in good working order and monitor at least ch 16/13 and maybe even 14 for vessel traffic information. It can get busy in the summer with recreational and commercial traffic and ch 13 is best for hailing ferrys and commercial boats that aren't always on 16.

-tozz

Excellent advice to the OP re vessel traffic. It's too easy for me to assume everyone understands a VTS and how to interact. I suggest downloading and studying the Puget Sound VTS manual. And fully understand Colregs Rule 10. Don't be "that guy" who makes a bee line from Shilshole towards Pt No Pt when headed for Pt Twonsend. Red course bad, Green course better.

As a note vessels required to participate in the VTS are not required to monitor VHF 16. They are required to monitor 13 and the appropriate VTS channel. Which depending upon where you are on the Salish Sea will be 14, 5a or 11.

And a note on 13. It is designated as bridge to bridge. Please don't clutter it up like 16 by calling your buddies on 13. Leave it to the vessels who need it unless you need to contact one of them.

One more note on VTS and those required to use VTS. Puget Sound VTS uses geographic points for positional reference, not GPS lat / long. The pilots and ship's masters will do the same. For example "Hanjin Seven Hatcher, this is Little Toot, Edwards Pt north bound. VTS, pilots and masters will instantly know where to look for you.
Great post! I would add another thing for cruising out here in Puget Sound/Salish sea and that is to have a VHF radio in good working order and monitor at least ch 16/13 and maybe even 14 for vessel traffic information. It can get busy in the summer with recreational and commercial traffic and ch 13 is best for hailing ferrys and commercial boats that aren't always on 16.

-tozz

Congrats. For me Job #1 was learn how to drive the boat. Perhaps you already have this down, but trawlers behave a lot differently than sailboats when docking in current and wind. We hired Captain Linda Lewis for close quarter maneuvering and she was great. Both my wife and I came out of it with a lot more confidence. Job #2 don't hit a rock!

Welcome to the TF.

@PNW
Before you take the family out?
Are you saying the family was not out on the sailboats, the 34 specifically?

What do you need to know at a minimum? I expect as a sailboater you already know the minimum, now you just have to become familiar with a boat that does not have sails. Previously with my sailboat, due to lack of wind was driven like a powerboat.

Experience with any boating can be adapted from boat to boat.

Welcome. Do you keep your boat in the Duwamish? That kinda looks like Boeing in the background.

Two small but important items that you need to learn. I didn’t when I moved up to a bigger boat with my first diesel engine.
There have been many mentions of changing the diesel fuel filter. Learn how to do it properly, with the correct model and filtration size filter i.e. turn off the fuel supply from the tank, disassemble, properly dispose of dirty fuel and filter, replace filter, add clean fuel, reassemble, open fuel supply, bleed engine and start engine. Run engine for at least 2 minutes to be sure all air is removed from fuel line.
Once you are all set with the procedure, be sure that you have all necessary filters, fuel, tools, paper towels and empty container(s) aboard. You won’t need them when conditions are perfect for cruising. However, when the wind picks up and you are hurrying to get back before dark, be prepared to have the engine sputter and die due to dirt stirred up from the bottom of the fuel tank and eventually clog your fuel filter. Now you will need to change the filter while you are bobbing up and down and drifting in the bay. (Anchor if proper depth and not in channel). This is the reason that Portage Bay recommended that you get your fuel tanks cleaned if needed. I didn’t.
2nd item is to have an AIS receiver and become familiar with it. If you don’t, then get familiar with the Marine Traffic App for cellphones. It is free and you can become familiar with it at home. In bad weather, most pleasure boaters slow up and proceed cautiously. However, commercial vessels have a schedule to keep especially ferries and they keep going.
You are off to a great start. I quickly learned that I could not survive making every new boater mistake myself. Eventually I started reading everything I could about boating and learned from the experts. You are already doing this. Congratulations and welcome.

Welcome aboard and I see you are in the same area as MV Freedom. They have a ton of videos on Youtube about your area and about maintenance of a trawler. Perhaps you already know them, can highly recommend their channel.
From what we have seen on their channel we have started looking at possibilities to come to the area and discover it for ourselves. Looks amazing.
Happy sailing.

WOW thank you so much to all of you for the wonderfully welcoming replies.

Comodave: thanks!

Portage_Bay: I joined BoatUS, thanks for the tip! I have a list of safety equip to purchase so I'm not too worried about simply having the basics onboard, I did learn at least that much from sailing. I am going to make a not in my pkm about this fuel cleanliness topic, I appreciate the heads up on that. I don't currently have much in the way of fuel-monitoring knowledge, so will need to do some research on how to set the boat up so I can tell when the filter needs to be changed, or what to test to find out if the tanks themselves need cleaning. I believe they are two aluminum tanks, and the previous owner who used the boat every summer for last 6 years said in that time the tanks have worked fine, but you have to go into the engine room to check the fuel level manually on a glass looking tube (which I thought was shocking but don't know enough to tell if this is weird or not). I see what you mean about the 100T cert, that's great advice so I joined the local US Power Squadron chapter and will look into their classes, as well as the Commodore here has said he will do crash&go practice at the guest dock with me until I'm comfortable with all the mooring scenarios (direction of approach, direction of wind, etc). I just want to understand the basic level-1 troubleshooting of engine room components before I start going very far from the marina!

JackConnick: I have joined the Duwamish Yacht Club, and have found the other members here to be very supportive and helpful. I am having a vessel inspection done by the Commodore but I'm not sure if he's looking for the same things they would in n Aux inspection, so I will look into scheduling one of those soon as well, thank you for that tip. If you ever want to meet up and do trawler stuff, let me know, as I am ready and eager to start getting into the trawling community around Seattle and learn where to go for what!

GoneFarrell: Yes, there was a survey done in the water less than a year ago, and the only recs on there were to cover some battery terminals and put the vessel name/port on the life rings. Does that mean the vessel is seaworthy? I certainly hope so! It seemed at least as solid as my other boats so I feel at least confident to sleep in it at the dock :D
I downloaded Windy and Predict Wind at your rec and will start getting used to those, thanks for the tip there!
I got pretty good at hand-anchoring in the sailboats, however this boat is much larger and has a windlass, so there is still much to learn in this department. Currently the windlass requires some servicing which I will write more about next time, so I can't take it out to practice anchoring stuff yet, but I agree this is a very important task to get down. As for the radar, I don't yet understand how to use the included Furuno setup at all, but I will ask more questions here after reading the manual and seeing if I can get it to show anything useful!

ktdtx: This is a great summary of my sailing career (and my tech career, come to think of it)!

darnold: Okay a lot of focus on fuel, I am starting to understand! I don't know what a fuel lift pump is yet so I will look into that. I also did look "at the tanks" BUT don't yet know what I'm looking for...how do I know if they need replacing??
I'm not sure what the electrical system looks like in total yet, but I have found that many things have new-looking wires, and a lot of wire ends are labeled, but the look of most wires that appear newer is that they were put there for function and then never properly cable-managed for aesthetics and maintainability. So I would like to document where things are wired from/to in my pkm and then start moving the wires to the sides and under/around things so they are out of the way not hindering me from getting around the engine room and that sort of thing. There are 110v and 12v circuit breaker panels by the main helm, but I have found what I think are distribution blocks kind of scattered around the vessel, in cabinets and the engine bay and seemingly random places. I remember trying to add accessories like light bars and winches to my jeep and had to deal with distribution blocks but I don't really want to try to mess with or clean up any electrical stuff until I first understand what is there and whether or not it already works.
I looked up that 6-person/2-dog rescue off Rosario, thanks for telling me about that! We definitely are not going to be on any schedule, we are both more into the journey than the destination :D

I will reply to the other comments next time, hopefully not such a long delay since I have the computer hooked up to internet on the boat now! Thanks again very much for helping me learn.

Cheers,
Joshua

There are several Power Squadrons in the Seattle area offering courses. Navigation, weather, boat electrical, etc. Worth poking around on their website. Classes tend to become scarce as boating season gets into full swing but pick back up again in the fall.

Congrats!!! We moved from a 40' sailboat to a 41' trawler for our family of five and have never looked back. The learning curve is steep for the first year or so, but don't get frustrated. It gets better and better - as you learn and understand the systems on the boat, you'll be mystified a lower and lower percentage of the time. Having something go wrong and *knowing* what it is and how to fix it is a very good feeling. Even better if you have the tools and spare parts aboard already! It'll take a bit to get there but I found the process enjoyable.

Piloting is the same. I hired a captain for a couple of sessions. I suspect you'll find that a 38' twin engined trawler is much more docile than a 34' sailboat, so you're probably in better shape than most already. Your trawler will have more windage though and less keel, so it'll behave differently as pointed out. I spent several hours in an empty channel approaching various unoccupied mooring balls, attempting to touch each corner of the boat to them, maintain position alongside, etc. etc. which really helped my confidence. Have fun! Spend as much time aboard as you can!

I'm with Portage_Bay and NSM and others in that I'm a believer and supporter of all that America's Boating Club (aka USPS) has to offer. Join and take some courses. Many ABC clubs now include on the water sessions for some courses. The other benefit you gain in an instant network of fellow boaters with extensive and varied experiences to help you. It's sort of lije the TF community but instead of being virtual they are your neighbors and you get to interact in person.
I know some members that have gotten their USCG License to have the paper but have stated they learned more from their ABC courses due to the diversity of courses & seminars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom