Top Load Washing Machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

Debating buying an old (least electronics possible) top load washing machine.

My question is how well do top loaders run if not completely level? Anybody have one on a boat?

My boat is pretty well balanced but lists slightly port or starboard depending on how much gas I have in my 60 gallons of jugs. Also I'm on the hook so the boat rocks slightly fore/aft in heavy wind. Basically point is it'd be impossible to mount it perfectly level because "level" is always changing.

I'm sure there would be comments about getting an RV / combo unit instead. Here's why I'm certain this is the better option for me: A) Only place for it is outside on sundeck, so cheaper the better and less electronics the better. B) If it's not big enough to wash a quilt then, it defeats the purpose because then I need to go to the laundromat anyway. C) I dont need a dryer, I can just hang dry (Miami). D) I'm not extremely concerned about water efficiency because for half the year my roof water collection has my tanks overflowing (which is why I'm considering installing a washer).

Last edited:
The top loaders I've had on boats work ok when off level. Even in gently rolling seas. The big problem is the spin, and then only in rapidly changing lists.
Good luck in finding a non electronic washer. And in Miami humidity and salt air, you'll probably have contact problems with an old washer.

I had no issues with my top load machine. My new front load machine does a much better job and uses less water.

The top loaders I've had on boats work ok when off level. Even in gently rolling seas. The big problem is the spin, and then only in rapidly changing lists.
Good luck in finding a non electronic washer. And in Miami humidity and salt air, you'll probably have contact problems with an old washer.

I found one for $65 that only has 3 old school knobs. Best part is the seller lives on a canal so I can just pick it up with my skiff haha. At that price I'm not overly concerned with longevity, but I found this cover for $15 on amazon (even matches my canvas).

qdT8fpw

I found one for $65 that only has 3 old school knobs. Best part is the seller lives on a canal so I can just pick it up with my skiff haha. At that price I'm not overly concerned with longevity, but I found this cover for $15 on amazon (even matches my canvas).

qdT8fpw

Hope you have a big skiff...

Hope you have a big skiff...

14 ft.
Washers aren't heavy.

Now getting it up onto the sundeck will be a mild chore. Wish I had a crane, but a come along should work if I can't find a helper.

2 of us lifted a 16 cubic refer into one of my previous boats and also a combo washer/dryer and they are heavy. Get a couple of husky friends to come over. We are setting up my engine crane Thursday and the I beam goes up to the overhead in the salon and it weighs 160 pounds. 2 friends are coming over to help.

Full size washer is 3-400 pounds. Maybe more. About like lifting a V-8.

My 24” washer was 250lbs. In my case, major disassembling of the boat was required to get the washer and dryer in place.

its not the washer that's so heavy .. its the damn concrete block they put in the thing to counteract the spin that causes them to weigh a ton
HOLLYWOOD

I just googled top loading washing machine weight and found this.

The typical mid-sized, top-loading washer weighs about 150 pounds, while a mid-sized front-loader can be closer to 200 to 250 pounds. This weight varies depending on factors such as the machine's size, capacity or type.

I had no issues with my top load machine. My new front load machine does a much better job and uses less water.
Mine, too. I use much less soap, bleach, etc. and get better cleaning.

A front loader with 1200-1400 rpm spin issue is load balance. Best load to capacity, heavy items evenly spread around the drum.

Back
Top Bottom