Name for stainless steel screw Fasteners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcheairs

Does anyone know what you call the stainless steel screws that (in my case) hold my melamine skirts to the railing on my upper back deck of my Bluewater Coastal Cruiser. They are slotted pan head screws with a fine #10 thread but they also have a cutting edge on the business end to help get the screw started into the threaded holes in the railing that the skirts mount to. I think this prevents the screws from starting "cross threaded" when installing. It's as if a flat spot was ground on the starting end with a grinding wheel. This is NOT like the drill end of the self drilling screws. Wish I could send a photo but don't have a url address to get a photo posted.

This boat is 35 years old and I suppose this is an antique fastener system. The melamine panels are irreplaceable.

Question is, do these special screws have a type name. Thanks

Last edited:
I would take one to a hardware store and find out the thread size. Then just buy some machine screws that size. I would get rid of the straight slot too, hate them…

It is not made like the self drilling screws. It's as if someone stuck the starting end to a grinding wheel and made a flat spot. Also, the thread is fine, unlike sheet metal screws which have a coarse thread. Machine screws would not thread into the threaded holes in my stainless steel railings. I know because a few of them had been replaced with machine screws and I had to cut them off with an angle grinder to remove my melamine skirts.

Maybe someone at West Marine would know the answer.

Possibly a Confirmat screw? Used for furniture. Attached image

There is also the Joint connector bolt. Both have blunt ends

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Sounds like self tapping or thread cutting screws... you still need to drill the hole but no need to tap it.

Try searching the McMaster Carr catalog online.

Maybe grab one and head to Tacoma screw. See if they can match it up.

That looks like it EXACTLY.....A thread cutting machine screw..Thank you RT Firefly

Likely it's one of these point styles.

https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/threaded-products/screws/thread-cutting-screws

If its any of them other than the Type 25, the threads are the same as a standard machine screw, #10 x 32 (or 24) and once the threads are formed you should be able to use just a standard machine screw with no cutting flutes in it.

If you are concerned about cross threading, try turning the machine screw backwards until you hear/feel a clunk, the lead into the screw's threads has just dropped into the railing's threads, now turn forward.

Stainless (even 410) in Thread Cutting Screws could be hard to find in small quantities.

Remember to put some Super Lube on those stainless screws so they don't weld themselves to the rail while you are trying to screw them in.

Back
Top Bottom