Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
None other than Dave's Sylphide. A lovely vessel, and we all know the details of how well looked after she's been. Best wishes to the owner, and this sale.

I would love to own this vessel.

Last edited:
Indeed. I sensed Dave was making an effort contributing to TF and to his boat, despite other interests/pressures which it seems won out. He will be missed.

He will. His was one of the most entertaining threads here. I wish him the best.

Hopefully so. Often when prolific contributors suddenly go quiet it’s because of a radical life event, or they’ve passed away.

I know Dave had indicated in his thread that other things were taking time away from the boat and he was debating selling. It's sad to see that listing though. Hopefully he sticks around here when he has time, and hopefully the new owner will consider joining here.

I know Dave had indicated in his thread that other things were taking time away from the boat and he was debating selling. It's sad to see that listing though. Hopefully he sticks around here when he has time, and hopefully the new owner will consider joining here.

Ok... I'm lost [and it's not the first time - lol] Dave who?? / What TF name?

Take a look at the boat in post 12624. It is beautiful in every aspect. The price, in my opinion is very modest.

Anyone thinking of fully restoring a boat should look at this one. I would guess that the restoration cost was over a million and here it is for sale for a quarter of that.

It just is not in the numbers to restore an old boat.

pete

Take a look at the boat in post 12624. It is beautiful in every aspect. The price, in my opinion is very modest.

Anyone thinking of fully restoring a boat should look at this one. I would guess that the restoration cost was over a million and here it is for sale for a quarter of that.

It just is not in the numbers to restore an old boat.

pete

Yeah it looks to be a very attractive boat at a fair price. I hadn't made the connection to the TF member but looking back at his long thread it looks like the owner is on to other good things in life.

Somebody grab that boat!!!

From his recent posts Dave found a new love outside boating. Sincerely, good luck to him.
Pleasure boating always seemed a bit of a "busman`s holiday", Dave drove ships for a living.

Wow indeed! What a beautiful boat. Makes me want to switch to brown-water cruising!

Hard to figure out which photos are current though. Apparently some are of a restoration in progress. I assume those are "before" photos and it's finished now. There are photos with two different hailing ports on the stern, but the seller is in AL so presumably that's the current one.

My only beef is engine access seems tight. Still, spent a few enjoyable minutes going through all the pics, thanks!

That "Annie" on the dark color couch toward end of 177 photos provided?

Exterior and interior... Comfort Par Ex Cell Lance!!

Interior wood immaculate - to dust, wax and shine. Exterior wood galore to work-on forever!

Seems a lot of steps/ladders in and out. Elevator would be tooo coool!

Engine compartment looks tight to the utmost.

Enormous gallons of water and fuel tanks... Didn't notice black water tank.

Fairly widely spaced twin screw props with exceptionally well framed rigid metal protections, large center keel too. Bet she's simple to maneuver in tight spaces. Didn't notice thrusters. Also... did not see cruise speed, top speed or gph fuel use stats??

Round stern = small swim platform to raise or lower - somewhere on a side?

Wonderful "House Boat" for really calm inner waterways.

I would not place the moniker of "Trawler" for her. In coastal or large expanse lake heavy seas, if [when] she got caught in beam seas or conflicting-wave following seas... I have no idea what degree tilt her very tall and obviously heavyweight superstructure could lean over - before her COG becomes compromised. Then... sploosh and Blub, Blub, Blub!

:dance: :speed boat:

By Jay Benford? of Florida Bay Coaster fame. I certainly see the similarity.

I've actually called about the boat and it has been for sale for a long time. The owner built the boat himself. I don't recall all of the details, but it was an interesting story. Seems I spoke to the captain broker. Cold molded I think? I use to have a fabulous memory....

The owner / builder of the boat had a thread about the boat and building it on TF maybe 10 years ago. In 2017 while I was Looping, I spent some time with one of the owner's best friends. The told me of him and his wife cruising with the owner and his wife up the Ohio River. At the time I was there, the boat was located at Joe Wheeler state park and marina on the Tennessee River. Was able to look at the boat from the outside but not get onboard.

Here is the thread on the boat and owner:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/new-member-what-kind-animal-5218.html

And a thread on the Calliope:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/calliope-5138.html

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom