New DeFever yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hayesdvm

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Just One Look
Vessel Make
Back Cove 41, Boston Whaler Montauk 210
I was under the impression that DeFevers had stopped production, but on a search on Yachtworld I see that Northstar Yachts are offering new models for sale, and there are some brokerage boats that are just a few years old.

Are the boats being made at the same yard? Are they from molds designed by Art DeFever or have the designs been modified? Can anyone give an opinion on how the new boats rank in quality compared to other brands in the same niche?

Many thanks,
Mark

I have a DeFever designed, but not built, boat (Oviatt Marine/Tania Yard). But my understanding was that the actual DeFevers have never stopped being built by POCTA. But maybe someone else has taken over?

http://www.pocta-yacht.com/global/

Last edited:
At the DeFever PNW rendezvous in September, we were informed that Pocta stopped building DeFevers due to some disagreements with the DeFever family. Not many details available.

At the DeFever PNW rendezvous in September, we were informed that Pocta stopped building DeFevers due to some disagreements with the DeFever family. Not many details available.

Interesting. The boats offered on their website (49 and 50/52) are still DeFevers.

Maybe Peter Whiting will chime in. He is now building versions of similar to DF designs, NW Yachts. He is a real class act.

Although I've never had a DeFever, my brother had one built new and cruised it for years in the Sea of Cortez. The boat was 57 feet long and include an extended cockpit. Having had the opportunity to cruise for several weeks with my brother & his wife, I found the boat to be extremely comfortable and with a layout that serviced fishing, diving and cruising. She had Cat 3208s and cruised at 10 knots. Arizona was a great boat!

Attachments

• Arizona.jpg
    Arizona.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 604
The representative for Northstar, the company advertising the DeFevers on Yachtworld responded to an email from me. This was his response:

Pocta has been the primary Defever builders for many years. The version of the story I'm hearing within the dealer network is a political issue rather than a family issue although I have heard those stories also where a son or grandson is looking for royalties on Arthur's work but that was a discussion years ago when Arthur passed. Has nothing to do with today's political climate. There are 2016, 2017 & 2018 Pocta built boats that are here in North America which were all built and contracted long after Arthur's passing.

He went on to indicate all boats now are semi-custom boats built to order for customers from designs updated by Art before he passed away. If anyone else has more insight from inside the industry, that would be appreciated.

Mark

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom