Cold weather in the NW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monti

Vessel Name
Perseverance
Vessel Make
Jefferson 53
It rarely freezes in the San Juan islands but in the next few days it will be in the 20’s. Being new to boating. I do have heaters in the bed rooms.
Any pass experiences members would like to share do’s and donuts?

It rarely freezes in the San Juan islands but in the next few days it will be in the 20’s. Being new to boating. I do have heaters in the bed rooms.
Any pass experiences members would like to share do’s and donuts?

you'll be alright. i've been through many cold snaps like this one that's coming. just being in the water helps keep things thawed out. if you're not going to be onboard, open up any locker doors that expose any plumbing to the heated spaces. like the doors under the galley sink or the one in the head. even that isn't really necessary where we're at, but it can help in the event it gets colder.
if there's a block heater turn it on. i run one heater down below with all the doors open, and one in the salon.
the docks get treacherous, be careful.

The hull should be sitting in water that is in the mid to upper 40s so that helps a ton with equipment down low in the boat. As Bmarler mention let the cabin heat get to those unheated places with plumbing. The trickier items would be a cockpit shower on the transom, window washer reservoir and/or fresh water wash down on the bow. You'll need to most likely drain those. Also think about items stored in the cockpit or flybridge that may not like 12 degree temps like paint.

Bellingham is forecast to be single digits before this cold snap is over, and the San Juan's not far behind. As mentioned, you are most vulnerable with external plumbing like cockpit showers and wash downs. Draining them is good, compressed air is better.

Dehumidifier inside, window covers outside to manage moisture and condensation.

Replace hatch screen with a clear plastic cover to prevent water forming on the inside and dripping.

I've insulated the inside of the hull above the waterline to mitigate condensation. And the underside of the floor for warmer floors.

If you don't live aboard, not as crucial but less moisture issues with enhancements. And a lot less energy required to stay warm.

And an electric blanket.

The water is warm compared to the air. I live aboard and at 0°F the bilge has never been lower than 35°. I really cold weather, below O°, I plug in the engine block heaters. Keeping the engineroom warm, helps the whole boat.
The sea temp in the San Juans is about 45°. That's a long way from freezing.

Glad you started this thread. I thought i was ready here in seattle but looks like i am running down tomorrow to drain the shower in the transom i forgot about.

In addition to the above I also closed off the engine room vents to keep wind from blowing through.

My boat watcher has turned on the diesel heat. The boat is berthed in Sidney, BC. Climate change is upon us, :eek:, for a week or so anyway.

When I owned a boat which sat in the water all the time, I did not worry about weather in the 20s except to drain the freshwater windshield washer lines (copper) and open cabinet doors under the galley-up sink to be sure the water lines up against the cabin side bulkhead stayed above freezing.

True story: we commissioned the battleship USS Iowa in Pascagoula in April and then spend a lot of time in southern waters before making our way to Norfolk, our new home port. Winter came, and nobody thought about what was going on with the modern era electronic countermeasure equipment installed in the top of the conning tower, nine stories above the main deck, until somebody came down ffrom a casual walk-through to report 8 inches of ice on the deck up there from burst electronic cabinat cooling water lines. Hmmmm.

If you are going to be using the boat or live aboard be sure your water tanks are full as the dock water will be turned off or probably already is, which is the case in La Conner and Anacortes.

Diesel? Wouldn't electric heat be less costly?

For the same BTUs? Probably not at 1-2 gallons or so per day of diesel. Plus the hydronic system piping heats all sorts of nooks and crannies behind cabinets, in bilges and under bunks. Overloading electric systems for heating, when we're 1,700 miles from the vessel is not, IMHO, safe.

My marina has a flat rate, not metered, perhaps that is why I run electric.
Your points well taken otherwise.

For the same BTUs? Probably not at 1-2 gallons or so per day of diesel. Plus the hydronic system piping heats all sorts of nooks and crannies behind cabinets, in bilges and under bunks. Overloading electric systems for heating, when we're 1,700 miles from the vessel is not, IMHO, safe.

Tom:
Is your boat in the water? If so, it isn't that cold here just now, so you shouldn't need the extra heat.

We got a light dusting of snow this morning, started about 7:00 and turned to rain/stopped altogether by 9. The snow on the top of Galiano starts about 1/2 way up, so what is that, 100ft or more. Wallace has nothing showing on its trees. I don't see any alarming forecast here or Tsehum Hbr over the next week if you are wet. If you are across the road in the land storage yard, -5°C is as cold as the forecast gets for Sidney, in a few days, then warming.
From AZ you may not get the perspective needed on the weather forecasts.

Last edited:
S-V, hopefully the power lines in that area will remain intact for the duration of the freeze.

Merry Christmas!

Tom:
Is your boat in the water? If so, it isn't that cold here just now, so you shouldn't need the extra heat.

We got a light dusting of snow this morning, started about 7:00 and turned to rain/stopped altogether by 9. The snow on the top of Galiano starts about 1/2 way up, so what is that, 100ft or more. Wallace has nothing showing on its trees. I don't see any alarming forecast here or Tsehum Hbr over the next week if you are wet. If you are across the road in the land storage yard, -5°C is as cold as the forecast gets for Sidney, in a few days, then warming.
From AZ you may not get the perspective needed on the weather forecasts.

You're correct about being too far away to have the correct perspective. Our boat watcher sets the on off switch to suit his take on things. Around Van Isle Marina everybody vacates the place during the Holidays so a bit of extra heat to allow the boat watcher peace of mind and to enjoy his family is not a burden for us.

You're correct about being too far away to have the correct perspective. Our boat watcher sets the on off switch to suit his take on things. Around Van Isle Marina everybody vacates the place during the Holidays so a bit of extra heat to allow the boat watcher peace of mind and to enjoy his family is not a burden for us.

I call this the Christmas spirit, good on you.

It is important to drain any external water lines (e.g. stern showers, fly bridge sinks, bow wash downs, etc). Usually there is a drain valve low in the bilge.

Personally, I never felt comfortable leaving the diesel heat on for extended periods. I used a couple of simple oil radiators on low (700W) with thermostat set at 40 degrees or so. No fans, nothing to go wrong (other than extended power outages).

Don't leave the dehumidifier running at very low temperatures. It will freeze up.

It is important to drain any external water lines (e.g. stern showers, fly bridge sinks, bow wash downs, etc). Usually there is a drain valve low in the bilge.

Personally, I never felt comfortable leaving the diesel heat on for extended periods. I used a couple of simple oil radiators on low (700W) with thermostat set at 40 degrees or so. No fans, nothing to go wrong (other than extended power outages).

Don't leave the dehumidifier running at very low temperatures. It will freeze up.

Not if the diesel heat is on. :D

We have a big feed scoop that we use to get snow off side decks. Snow shovel doesn't fit. The trick? Don't store scoop inside the boat. Ha

Had I thought about it, I would have drained the hose bib in the cockpit yesterday. Everything else is inside the boat enough that it won't have a problem in 3 days of below freezing because of the water temperature (and I switched to all PEX which can take some freezing). What I'm concerned about now is the amount of snow and our covered moorage. Several years ago a few marinas had the covered moorage roofs weighted down to where it damaged the boats. We are at 10 inches now having have had 4" of that in the last 20 minutes. More to come. There is even snow floating on the bay out front. Brrrrr.

Attachments

• 20211226_080848.jpg
    20211226_080848.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 48
Had I thought about it, I would have drained the hose bib in the cockpit yesterday. Everything else is inside the boat enough that it won't have a problem in 3 days of below freezing because of the water temperature (and I switched to all PEX which can take some freezing). What I'm concerned about now is the amount of snow and our covered moorage. Several years ago a few marinas had the covered moorage roofs weighted down to where it damaged the boats. We are at 10 inches now having have had 4" of that in the last 20 minutes. More to come. There is even snow floating on the bay out front. Brrrrr.

A number of years ago the weight of snow on shelters at Canoe Cove and in some Vancouver marinas caused some damage. More recently there have been fewer problems. According to Windy, you are in -1° C at Port Orchard just now, so will need to watch for rain weighing down that recent snowfall. Here, and in the San Juans and Gulf Islands it is a bit colder, but not snowing heavily, so no buildup is occurring. Here on Saltspring we have only a light dusting and -4°, so no worries. Our "snowfall warning" from Environment Canada has ended.

Yep, it got a little snotty here for sure. Blowing, drifting snow, and a fair bit of saltwater blowing through the air.
The docks and decks are a bit treacherous, but it is pretty comfy inside of LIBRA. All of the plumbing is below deck on Libra and down there it feels very close to water temp which we measured yesterday at around 46F. Nothing to be too concerned about and I think we have seen the worst of it.
We spent a good chunk of November and December aboard DOMINO where both air and water temps were around 80F. This little glimpse of nature's fury is a nice bit of variety for a short while, but I will admit to looking forward to getting back down to the Sea of Cortez in a week or two.

Attachments

• Winter on LIBRA (2).jpg
    Winter on LIBRA (2).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Port Hadlock Winter (2).jpg
    Port Hadlock Winter (2).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 46
Icy glass like that makes me think double pane glass. Does anybody know of the use of double panes in boats?

A number of years ago the weight of snow on shelters at Canoe Cove and in some Vancouver marinas caused some damage. More recently there have been fewer problems. According to Windy, you are in -1° C at Port Orchard just now, so will need to watch for rain weighing down that recent snowfall. Here, and in the San Juans and Gulf Islands it is a bit colder, but not snowing heavily, so no buildup is occurring. Here on Saltspring we have only a light dusting and -4°, so no worries. Our "snowfall warning" from Environment Canada has ended.

My boat, when in Reed Point suffered a shed collapse on it. I was lucky. Some damage occurred, crushed upper exhaust stack. broken bridge venturi screen, and some other small damage all of which I was able to repair and claim for.

There were others whose boats were sunk or suffered serious damage.
This was not the only marina to have these problems that year, about 1990.

The snow though was a far thicker buildup and much wetter which means each bucket full of snow weighed a LOT more than the powdery puff stuff we got yesterday.

Watched the Seattle Chicago football game with all the snow on the field. Looked unusual for Seattle, at least I thought so.

We had double panes made for our boat when we rebuilt her in 2006. The five sliders are single pane. Really cuts down on fogging and sweating in the moisture laden Alaska clime. AJR in Port Coquitlam, BC made the windows and frames. They are starting to get a bit of fogging between the panes and we're getting a few re-glazed every year.

Tator

Watched the Seattle Chicago football game with all the snow on the field. Looked unusual for Seattle, at least I thought so.
We usually get a couple of snow events but its when the system change from cold to ward so will switch to rain. This week they are calling out for below freezing for the entire week. Most are not prepared for that hard of freeze. I had to go buy more hummingbird feeders because i cant keep the water thawed for more that a couple hours and need to be able to switch them out quickly. They are feeding constantly and buzzing me when i try and swap. Were going to see some frozen pipes running this weekend.My heating design temp at the house is 20 and i am seeing the boiler running constantly and it is just holding. My buffer is to turn down the heat in the garages but not there yet.
I have an electric heater on the boat and decided to leave one diesel heater on as a safety.Folks in other parts of the country probably get a laugh out of us but its just not out normal.
Crashes all over this morning and people just driving around like its dry then they try to stop. Its like a reality show.

Back
Top Bottom