Just bought a Grand Banks 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LakeMJim

Vessel Name
Mikeno
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36-443 Classic (1974)
This is actually my second 'welcome' since I was here about 2 years ago trying to decide to which boat I should buy, a Ranger Tug or an older trawler.

In the end I bought both lol.

It's a long story and it's all been great, but just yesterday I took possession (with 2 good friends) of a 1974 Grand Banks 36 Classic.

So now I have a million questions...I will read up the GB forum of course but wanted to re-introduce myself.

If it's a '74, it's glass. I too would like more info, and PICS!
Congratulations, and Welcome (again) to the forum!:dance:

It's supposedly the first year of the fiberglass hulls, which I am told were built very well, overkill even.

But I have noticed some 73's also are glass hulls so??

I put 2 pics on my profile album, let me see if I can put more here...

Single engine John Deere/Am Marine 6404, 135 hp.

Already looking for parts lol!

(Which was why I was reluctant to go the old boat route originally, but now the effort is shared with 2 friends)

Congrats on your new boat. Got any photos?

Mikeno Pics

Figuring out if I did this correctly...

Attachments

• Mikeno 1.jpg
    Mikeno 1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Mikeno 2.jpg
    Mikeno 2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 41
I have a blog, grandbankschoices, that shows a lot of GB repairs and upgrades. You need to dig around to find things. Windows rebuild, new refrigeration and retrofitted.

Any questions you can PM me or ask the forum. Lots of info here.

Welcome Aboard.

Generally joint ownership partnerships don't work out very well. We would be curious to see how you set your up and how it is working in a year or so.

pete

I owned a GB for 5 years. When nice boats arrive in town or a marina people take notice. When a GB arrives people get the cameras out!

Welcome Aboard.

Generally joint ownership partnerships don't work out very well. We would be curious to see how you set your up and how it is working in a year or so.

pete

The two friends have joint owned a boat for over 20 years now with no issues worth mentioning. I am the wild card.

I owned a GB for 5 years. When nice boats arrive in town or a marina people take notice. When a GB arrives people get the cameras out!

I am retired and have too little to do so I am looking forward to having a project where I can do some minor improvements (cleaning, maybe some painting, interior teak maintenance, etc.)

I will happily sand and varnish the railings every year. Looks like the consensus is to leave the teak decks alone, although they need a few minor repairs.

Off to the boat now to continue cleaning and organizing. (Lazarettes today)

A related question,
Are the wood GB’s lighter than FG?

1972 is considered to be the last woodie GB's, and 1973 the first year of the fiberglass.
That being said, there were at least 2 1972 year registered boats that were made out of fiberglass, and I've been told that either 3 or 4 1973 year registered boats were still wood.

We owned a 1972 woodie. Great boat, although it had the typical failings of the GB's built during that time frame, ie; mild steel fuel tanks, wood decks prone to leaking if not kept in top notch shape, and absolutely horrible wood window frames . . .:nonono:
I mean distinctive Grand Banks windows, built to a superior design out of quality materials! :whistling: Which let light and water through with equal ease . . .

And don't get me started on the electrical. Just like Ford Model A's, which came in any color you wanted as long as it was Black. In our Grand Banks, almost all the original wiring was RED! I guess they got a special on red or something . . .

Even with the issues above, (and we didn't personally experience any fuel tank issues, or deck problems) we had a blast with that boat. It was a single, and I could back her in anywhere I wanted using a combination of rudder and prop walk, no thrusters. Heck, I didn't know any better. I never knew that it is impossible to maneuver a boat without multiple engines, or multiple thrusters and a full suite of CCTV's, so I just learned how . . . Foolish me . . . :D

Now I'll batten down the hatches for the hate mail! :hide:
Nomad Willy, I'm not sure about weight, but our woodie was considerably more quiet, and a LOT warmer than fiberglass . . .

I bet a new boat was lighter for a few years.

Wood boats have a wonderful motion, and are quiet. Vibrations are absorbed.

But for a dedicated few, those days are over. A new build with wood is sure to be wood, glass, and epoxy.

Faring is required and vacuum bagging can reduce it. All that work and you could have built a mold.

Some pics from today

I was crawling around the engine room today and trying to organize the cabin, but it's still messy, so the pics are not the greatest. But you can see how the interior is in quite good condition, the engine room is pretty nice as well.

Attachments

• 20230403_184737.jpg
    20230403_184737.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230403_184840.jpg
    20230403_184840.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230403_184807.jpg
    20230403_184807.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230403_184703.jpg
    20230403_184703.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230403_165321.jpg
    20230403_165321.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230403_165554.jpg
    20230403_165554.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 34
oops, sorry about the last pic! That's one of the mixing elbow that needs replacing.

Are these pics of the same boat as in your other thread, "Mixing Elbow where to buy"? Looks different??
Fan of Vancouver Island here, been there several times.

Bruce: Yes, those are the first pics of the actual elbow from my boat. The others were ones from other boats.

Looks like they are all different! Maybe most are custom made by now?

Yeah, mine are for sure.

Two engines, both the same. Port exhaust goes to port and starboard goes to starboard.

Two custom elbows with water feeds pointed in the two directions.

If it's a '74, it's glass. I too would like more info, and PICS!
Congratulations, and Welcome (again) to the forum!:dance:

Are you saying that as far as a GB36 or all GBs in general. Because I can show you a 1974 GB42 for sale right now that is wood. 1973 was the year they began converting over to FG, but there were plenty of wood boats that were still in production that were not finished till 74.

EDIT: I did t mean for this to be hate in any way, I apologize if taken that way, my fault

Last edited:
I think almost everyone loves wooden boats, they just don't have the time or money to maintain one.

If I had the $$$ I'd have a perfectly restored wooden boat and a full time maintenance guy, or three.

But, for practical reasons, glass is an amazingly durable and useful material.

Welcome and congrats. We have a '79 'glass 36. Currently in the process of removing the original water tanks. Our boat looks lived in as the previous owners did for 15 of their 20 year ownership. Enjoy your Grand Banks. Always wanted one. Only took me 65 years.

Lovely boat!
Welcome to the site :)

Are you saying that as far as a GB36 or all GBs in general. Because I can show you a 1974 GB42 for sale right now that is wood. 1973 was the year they began converting over to FG, but there were plenty of wood boats that were still in production that were not finished till 74.

EDIT: I did t mean for this to be hate in any way, I apologize if taken that way, my fault

My understanding is that GB went to FG on the 36 before the 42, by a year or so, then there is the time for boats under construction to actually be put on the market, to add to the mix.

Yes I just read on the GB forum that the switch to glass was something like mid '73 to mid '74 with the 36s being first and the 42's later.

So there can 1973 36's in glass or wood and 1974 42's in glass or wood.

Back
Top Bottom