Guns in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ploschiavo

Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
2018 Helmsman 38E
Has anyone legally brought a gun through the Trent Severn Canal in Canada, and if so, what did you bring and what did you experience with Canadian customs?

I didn’t think it was possible to bring firearms into Canada. Am I mistaken?

That’s what I’m asking. Handguns are out though it appears as if it’s possible to bring a shotgun if going to a “remote location, for protection.” I’m asking if anyone has done so.

That’s what I’m asking. Handguns are out though it appears as if it’s possible to bring a shotgun if going to a “remote location, for protection.” I’m asking if anyone has done so.
I do not think "for protection" quailifies.

Suggest you ensure you are squeaky clean with regard to the regs. You're not out of the woods after you clear the border either. Twice we've been boarded hundreds of miles from the border in northern British Columbia for 'follow-up inspections'. They were interested in any guns that might be onboard. We had none.

There's no reason to bring guns into Canada
Bring a hockey stick

Greetings,
Mr. p. Not sure BUT if you can enter and exit Canada from the same port you may be able to store at Canadian customs. Best to check directly with them. You might also be able to store it on the American side and pick it up on your return.

Regarding hockey sticks (post #8): Don't bother bring hockey sticks to Toronto. They haven't got a clue what they are or how to use them.

200.gif

My recommendation would be to ship the firearm before leaving the USA, to a gun store at your reentry point back in the USA.

I considered it before my trip in 2022, and decided I didn't want the proctology exam as opposed to a smooth entry into Canada and back into the USA.

Ted

Regarding hockey sticks (post #8): Don't bother bring hockey sticks to Toronto. They haven't got a clue what they are or how to use them.

200.gif

Now Now..... Them's Fightin' words!!!

:p

Alaska used to by law require bush pilots (the law has since been changed to remove the firearm requirement) to carry a firearm, so when transiting from Seattle to Alaska and stopping for fuel in Canada, firearms had to be declared. No pistols or military caliber.

The restrictions would rule out your use

“ A non-restricted rifle or shotgun means that the barrel length is a minimum of 18.5 inches in length and that you are bringing this firearm into Canada for approved purposes such as hunting, target shooting, wilderness protection, or in transit movement by a reasonably direct route to another point outside of Canada. ”

Thee is no need for wilderness protection on the loop and its not transit movement like it was for planes. They will decide when you declare. If you don’t declare…well, that’s a serious criminal offense.

Don't worry you don't need any gun for protection up here especially in remote location. People are friendly and will welcome you.

L

It has been a long time but we used carry shot guns on aircraft when transiting to Alaska. We declared them and it was never an issue with Boarder Patrol

We have also brought hunting rifles into Canada, declared them as such and all was fine.

Unfortunately, these experiences are too old to be of value to you now.

When I first saw the title of this post I went 'oh oh', here we go, thinking back to the bad old days of OTDE.

However, all the replies have been quite neutral in tone, no venting.

Well, perhaps with the exception of the poor people who inhabit the environs of Toronto.:rolleyes:

It’s been my experience that Canadian border officers assume that all Americans are gun toting crazies, and if you tell them you don’t have a gun they tend not to believe you. So I think it’s a good idea to err on the side of caution when it comes to their gun laws. It’s not unusual for boats (or vehicles) to be thoroughly searched.

I once pulled off the ALCAN into a Canadian campground to see what appeared to be a family group about 50 yards in front of me all looking in one direction with hands out, kids out front. Looking in that direction through some intervening trees, I spotted a good sized black bear cautiously crouched and approaching. You got it, tourons attempting to feed a bear with their smallest, most vulnerable humans out front. I dismounted, trained my hunting rifle (declared at the border a week earlier) on the bear's shoulder, and waited for it to twitch the wrong way. Thankfully, it finally got nervous enough to leave at which point I stowed the gun with the idiots none the wiser of my overwatch. In hindsight, I should have stayed in the vehicle and driven right toward the bear, horn blaring and lights flashing, gun still in the scabbard, but who was I back then to disturb the peace?

Another time found me on a trawler with friends off the North Channel ashore in a wilderness of blueberries picking them for a pie. Prime bear country. I would have been happier had I been appropriately armed to watch over my friends as they happily picked away. We should have had a boom box blaring noisy music - bears don't have rythym, do they?

Last edited:
“ A non-restricted rifle or shotgun means that the barrel length is a minimum of 18.5 inches in length and that you are bringing this firearm into Canada for approved purposes such as hunting, target shooting, wilderness protection, or in transit movement by a reasonably direct route to another point outside of Canada. ”

I think this is the key. If you have a legitimate reason to bring in a gun, it's fine. But if it's for "personal protection", leave it at home. It's not welcome.

Now I will preface this by saying that I am a US citizen, and an avid shooter with a large gun collection....

However, you know that this is not the intention of our northern neighbor's laws. You are not wandering back into the backcountry.

Show me where you are so far from civilization and isolated that you need to defend yourself from large predatory animals....along the great loop.

It’s been my experience that Canadian border officers assume that all Americans are gun toting crazies, and if you tell them you don’t have a gun they tend not to believe you. So I think it’s a good idea to err on the side of caution when it comes to their gun laws. It’s not unusual for boats (or vehicles) to be thoroughly searched.

I wonder if CBPS has visibility into issued gun permits and hence know if you are more likely to have one? I have no idea, just wondering. I know they have access to DUI info, which is another way to get turned back at the boarder.

Has anyone legally brought a gun through the Trent Severn Canal in Canada, and if so, what did you bring and what did you experience with Canadian customs?
Leave it at home I can assure you we will not be impressed

You can take sporting guns with a magazine of 5 rounds or less. No pistols. Don't have pistol ammo or if they see it will assume you have a pistol. I communicate with Canadian customs before crossing into Canada. I give them a list and serial numbers. They've never done a search of my boat.

You can take sporting guns with a magazine of 5 rounds or less. No pistols. Don't have pistol ammo or if they see it will assume you have a pistol. I communicate with Canadian customs before crossing into Canada. I give them a list and serial numbers. They've never done a search of my boat.

The most common-sense post I've seen on here. Tried to send a thanks but it won't work on my phone for some reason. :confused:

Would this qualify? Bought it especially for the boat.

I wonder if CBPS has visibility into issued gun permits....

I'm almost certain that this is the case based on personal experience, agents' comments and boardings.

Last edited:
Would this qualify? Bought it especially for the boat.
"ACCESS DENIED

TO SPEAK WITH A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE, PLEASE CALL 1-800-227-7776.

Please contact your administrator with the error code: 0.162ada17.1706663857.10d70442 and 185.54.228.122."
So probably not.

"access denied

to speak with a customer service representative, please call 1-800-227-7776.

please contact your administrator with the error code: 0.162ada17.1706663857.10d70442 and 185.54.228.122."
so probably not.

shotgun.jpg

I guess not. I'll just keep this south (or between) borders - :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom