Turbo Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backinblue

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 355
Good piece. Thanks

I wouldn't recommend squirting anything into the intake of a turbo diesel engine.
Most turbo engines will run for many years with little more than routine maintenance.
Why do something that could potentially cause harm?

If you do determine that your turbo is coked up there are better and more thorough
ways to clean it.

Last edited:
Actually yanmar has a recommended procedure for using their turbo wash, done under load etc.

Actually yanmar has a recommended procedure for using their turbo wash, done under load etc.

I saw that in a Yanmar owners manual. Sounded a bit crazy but I guess they know what they are doing.

Would not recommend doing it. To have any effect, it would have to be done under load, e.g. at cruise speed. You'd have to remove the air filter and spray directly at the turbo. Good chance to get some debris sucked into the engine. A little water will do nothing, too much water might hydro-lock the engine.

My Yanmar Guru just did the Turbo wash on our 4LH-HTE after installing a new set of injectors. He hiked it up to 3000 RPM during the process. Never saw it done before but it is a no-charge item on his 1000 hour schedule.

The not to worry explanation I saw was a comparison to driving your turbo diesel truck down the freeway in the rain, and the amount of water that is being ingested is a non issue. They definitely move a large volume of air, I found a big chunk of carpet in my F 350 diesel air box one time, a few squirts of turbo wash aren’t much of a deal.

I saw another boating forum that discussed this at length. It was also about 50/50 on whether this is a good thing to do. At this point, I'm still on the "no" side, but that could change. Apparently this is/was recommended by Yanmar and there are some specific turbo cleaner sprays you can buy. I may contact Yanmar to get an approved procedure. Some people say it's been revised such that as long as you are at a sufficient RPM, the engine does not need to be under load. Yanmar is pretty responsive in my experience.

A few years ago Tony Athen's used a Dawn wash. I recall he backed off as a routine practice though. The perceived need for a turbo wash can be an indicator for salt water ingestion and a less than ideal xhaust design.

The not to worry explanation I saw was a comparison to driving your turbo diesel truck down the freeway in the rain, and the amount of water that is being ingested is a non issue. They definitely move a large volume of air, I found a big chunk of carpet in my F 350 diesel air box one time, a few squirts of turbo wash aren’t much of a deal.

My old 1991 Dodge/Cummins pickup would run like a scalded ape on a misty cold day. It was all the water it was sucking up.
I have also cleaned turbos several times using the dawn and water formula.

My old 1991 Dodge/Cummins pickup would run like a scalded ape on a misty cold day. It was all the water it was sucking up.
I have also cleaned turbos several times using the dawn and water formula.

Would mist really make it through an air filter on a truck? Just curious as I've never owned a diesel car or truck and not sure what they have for filters.

A decent size engine can ingest a shocking amount of water at higher RPM without anything bad happening. And that water does end up steam blasting carbon out of places. Just have to be aware of what you're doing and make sure the engine is revved high enough before feeding water.

Would mist really make it through an air filter on a truck? Just curious as I've never owned a diesel car or truck and not sure what they have for filters.

I would tend to say no, or at least not in any significant quantity for most filters. I've run vehicles where there's just an open tube from the front end into the airbox, so nothing to separate mist / rain before the filter. The intake after the filter stays dry, but if you work it too hard in heavy rain, it'll lose some power due to the filter getting wet and flowing worse, then you have to wait for the filter to dry.

I had a K&N filter not a paper element filter, and no airbox so it was very free flowing. Also there was no intercooler to go thru. It was a straight shot into the intake manifold.
Also had a larger than stock turbocharger.
It would make almost 40 pounds of boost so it was definately moving some air.

Turbo wash from the air intake side shouldn’t be necessary on a regular basis, but it can be helpful if for some reason the compressor side gets oily gunk built up.
In that case, the aftercooler will benefit from the wash as well.
By the time the soap/water goes through the combustion process, I doubt that it has enough punch left to do the exhaust side any good.
I’ve got my doubts about the article the OP linked, many discrepancies and too many generalizations, as well as the first picture showing a very poorly designed exhaust system that allows raw water to reenter the turbo after shutdown.
No amount of cleaning will fix that!

Back
Top Bottom