$20 to dock your dinghy for dinner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your on one of their moorings it should be free. I can see, 5 or 10, but 20 seems a bit high if your not staying there.

I like patronizing Joseph's and will do so next time I'm through the area. After much thought, I've decided $20 for a 10' dinghy to have a <$60 dinner is too much for me. I also feel it's not the restuarant's problem. There are a couple of options that require a modest walk, and I might have a friend on the transient dock to tie off to.

As for having a discussion with Safe Harbor, I doubt they're interested in my dinghy docking money. After some further research, they seem to be acquiring properties and securing leases on others in many locations. While it may prove difficult to totally avoid them, they're certainly not normally transient competitive unless you view them as THE destination as opposed to a marina.

Ted

I like patronizing Joseph's and will do so next time I'm through the area. After much thought, I've decided $20 for a 10' dinghy to have a <$60 dinner is too much for me. I also feel it's not the restuarant's problem. There are a couple of options that require a modest walk, and I might have a friend on the transient dock to tie off to.

Ted

Ted,
I own a slip in that marina and have plenty of room for you to tie your dinghy up next to our boat when you're there next time. Joseph's is right at the end of our (B) dock. You're welcome anytime.

Ted,
I own a slip in that marina and have plenty of room for you to tie your dinghy up next to our boat when you're there next time. Joseph's is right at the end of our (B) dock. You're welcome anytime.

Thanks! :thumb:

Ted

...I can't see paying money just so I can go spend money...

Yep. I'm not scrounging for pizza money in the couch cushions like back in college, but that's it right there -- same reason I've never done a Sam's Club or Costco or other club/warehouse shopping membership. Paying money to spend money. Same thing with credit cards that charge fees. I get all kind of invitations to high-end credit cards -- with annual fees. Nope. I know, $20, big deal, the meal tip would likely be more than that. But the reason I can afford a big boat and nice lifestyle and eat in high-end places is because I won't do things like pay money to spend money. For that matter I really resent management fees or percentages charged for entirely self-directed investments, but those accounts are stuck there so I have no choice.

I find this entire discussion quite interesting giving me a new perspective
while living in a house I keep my trawler in a marina with security gates, yet it is tough for the staff to keep the derelicts anchored out from coming in and tying up to the pump-out dock at night. Even with a guard who can only call law enforcement, these individuals trash the facilities causing constant problems for those of us paying for slips.

At my job in a separate marina I am a marine technician, this one is on a touristy island and has no security other than cameras, The dock hands and the sales and store staff continually have to contend with everyone from cheapskate snowbirds to dope addicts anchored just outside of the channel coming ashore, tying dinghies up to docks in an effort to slide off into town, again at the expense and inconvenience and some might say safety of those who pay for our services.

So I see no good reasons to for free dockage.

PS. I love you guys

I find this entire discussion quite interesting giving me a new perspective
while living in a house I keep my trawler in a marina with security gates, yet it is tough for the staff to keep the derelicts anchored out from coming in and tying up to the pump-out dock at night. Even with a guard who can only call law enforcement, these individuals trash the facilities causing constant problems for those of us paying for slips.

At my job in a separate marina I am a marine technician, this one is on a touristy island and has no security other than cameras, The dock hands and the sales and store staff continually have to contend with everyone from cheapskate snowbirds to dope addicts anchored just outside of the channel coming ashore, tying dinghies up to docks in an effort to slide off into town, again at the expense and inconvenience and some might say safety of those who pay for our services.

So I see no good reasons to for free dockage.

PS. I love you guys

As the OP, I wasn't looking for free dockage (after I found out it wasn't free anymore) just reasonable dockage. I wouldn't have started this thead if it was $5 or $10.

Ted

Depends on who owns the docks.

If it is the restaurant, they can charge whatever they want. They either make it a separate charge that just applies to boaters or build it into their menu prices, which might not be fair to people who don't take advantage of the docks.

If someone else owns the docks, they can charge what they like. The restaurant has no control, but maybe some imfluence.

In the areas of the Chesapeake where I've boated, if there is a charge, $20 for 4 hours is about the going rate. Some places it's $20/hour.

As the OP, I wasn't looking for free dockage (after I found out it wasn't free anymore) just reasonable dockage. I wouldn't have started this thead if it was $5 or $10.

Ted
Ted, I may be one of the few that get what you are saying. Like you said earlier IF they charged you $1.60 per foot for a side tie of the dingy (10x 1.60= $16 is overnight charge) you would not have started this thread. $20 for maybe 4 hours max is outrages.
Since you like the restaurant I hope you told them you will not be back because of this.
Nominal $5, maybe $10 is more like it to separate out the riff raff. It would also be affordable to the restaurant to validate and provide free parking.

Ted, I may be one of the few that get what you are saying. Like you said earlier IF they charged you $1.60 per foot for a side tie of the dingy (10x 1.60= $16 is overnight charge) you would not have started this thread. $20 for maybe 4 hours max is outrages.
Since you like the restaurant I hope you told them you will not be back because of this.
Nominal $5, maybe $10 is more like it to separate out the riff raff. It would also be affordable to the restaurant to validate and provide free parking.

In a big city it can cost you $20 (or more) to park your car for dinner. $20 bucks for your dinghy seems comparable.

In a big city it can cost you $20 (or more) to park your car for dinner. $20 bucks for your dinghy seems comparable.

Whatever!
I guess you missed the point. If transient moorage overnight is $16 for the dingy then why is it charged $20 for a few hours.

When I go to the city restaurant I expect to pay a couple hundred for dinner, then $20 for parking is mute.

Let's see how many apples and oranges we can turn this into.

The place is not in a big city, not the northeast or populated California.

The dinners at the restaurant are in the teens to the $25 range, not $50. Slips aren't $300 a night.

This is outside of a small coastal NC town.

If they want big city prices, the better start attracting big city clients.

I will never go there just on that principle. If I want to throw away money.... I can find better ways.

I never got paid big city wages, so I will not pay big city prices....for things just not high enough on my give a dang scale.

Depends on who owns the docks.

If it is the restaurant, they can charge whatever they want. They either make it a separate charge that just applies to boaters or build it into their menu prices, which might not be fair to people who don't take advantage of the docks.

If someone else owns the docks, they can charge what they like. The restaurant has no control, but maybe some imfluence.

In the areas of the Chesapeake where I've boated, if there is a charge, $20 for 4 hours is about the going rate. Some places it's $20/hour.

The marina is "owned/leased" by Safe Harbor. The restaurant does not own the docks.

Somewhere towards the beginning of this thread, it was pointed out the restaurant has great support of the local community and the boaters are "extra".
Maybe, just maybe it is agreement between the restaurant and the marina to charge so as to control the population of boaters stopping by for a 'quickie'.
We have not heard from anyone who paid the $20 and eaten at the restaurant.
Until we have their input, we can only speculate.
Why not get a slip for the night so you can eat a quiet dinner, rest up and leave the next day?
Maybe the restaurant has a menu on line so you could order a meal as a 'take-away'??
Maybe someone is trying to start a small water taxi service from the anchorage to a drop off point at the restaurant?
So many possible reasons.....
There are restaurants and marina, up north, that close down for the winter.
(The Dairy Queen places used to close for the winter. Not any longer.)
So my point is, until we have further 'on the ground' experiences, it is all speculation.

Many here would agree with you, while paying $20 to enter a boat show specifically designed to have you spend money.

Funny that.

Don't waste my time or money at boat shows either as their value to me dropped below an over priced dingy dock.

FWIW, my recent couple of experiences with SH marinas had them disposing of the client courtesy cars as well.

If they stay full, they have no reason not to make every cent they can...

so you're comparing it to parking meters. It's been a while since I used one of those, but for a parking meter you're talking what, maybe a few dollars at most? Double that to make for a profit since it's not a city thing.... still not in the league of $20.

Go look at parking meters again. It isn’t just a quarter or two now that most of them take credit cards

Plenty of smaller town places where parking can cost a bunch for a car.
Plenty of places where they charge a lot to dock a dinghy for dinner or a short visit.
If you don't like it you don't go - if it's worth it to you then you do go.
Many of these have been this way a long time and I doubt they will be changing in the near future.

I agree with Ted... $20 is way too much... $10 would be pushing it for me.

As for paying money to pay money, I don't do that either. I NEVER pay to park at a restaurant to pay for a dinner.

But eating at a restaurant it NOT a big priority for me... especially alone. Rarely do that. A restaurant is an "experience" and go there for the service and camaraderie. If that isn't there, there's no reason to go. I've NEVER had a meal at a restaurant better than I can prepare in my own kitchen. Quite often the food and service is substandard. No thanks.

No, but it is -- set aside -- parking. You could not ask for better. This is not a McDonalds or even a Burger King.
Arguably we could ask for better. We could ask for free.

Don't like the arrangement, vote with your wallet or purse but tell the restaurant owner why you are passing him by.
Maybe the restaurant owner will establish a "tender out" with your order service.

Last edited:
FWIW, my recent couple of experiences with SH marinas had them disposing of the client courtesy cars as well.

If they stay full, they have no reason not to make every cent they can...
Yes they are not boat people, they are bank people. Maximize the profit for the share holders and any future buyer.

I've been casually following this thread. While I'm not against paying for a service ,I would be taken aback if we had been blindsided by a charge for tying up our dinghy where previously there was no charge. I kind of felt that what the op was venting about. I like knowing what I'm in for before I get to it. I can imagine the disappointment and frustration of getting into the dinghy expecting to enjoy dinner at a favorite restaurant and finding out what was once an inexpensive dinner now had a $20 increase before you even walked into the establishment!

Everyone here is able to boat because they profit from a resource. Whether you make your money on land, skill, knowledge or looks, you benefit from whatever resource you have that other people want. Why shouldn't the owner of that dock space have the same opportunity. He/She is not affiliated with the restaurant.....under no obligation to facilitate to your dining experience and has invested money and assumed risk by owning that dock. Maybe he doesn't want ANY traffic from the restaurant and if people pay the $20, he might raise it to $50!! How would you guys feel if we made your resource capitalization a public discussion. What if we think the pilots or doctors here should work for less money ? or the accountants should work longer days ? Let's discuss the rents any landlords are charging ?? That would be ludicrous and offensive to you I'm sure.....yet that is what this entire discussion has been about. The dock is their resource, let them use it how they see fit.

Benthic, so true.
As pointed out way way back in this thread, the restaurant is very happy with the support from the locals.

So a little reality check:

Anchored below Savannah, GA around lunchtime as I need to do a quick grocery run. Took my dinghy up the Turner Creek to Hogan's Marina. Dinghy docking on their very nice floating dock next to the shore was $10. One of the dock hands caught my lines. The lady in the office was happy to have my business and told me that dinghy docking was good for 24 hours, so I could come back later if I wanted to eat at a restaurant. A well stocked Publix grocery store was a 3 minute walk from the office. Apparently a lot of cruisers do what I did and they're happy to have the business. I guess it takes a small business to understand that every sale matters.

Ted

So a little reality check:

Anchored below Savannah, GA around lunchtime as I need to do a quick grocery run. Took my dinghy up the Turner Creek to Hogan's Marina. Dinghy docking on their very nice floating dock next to the shore was $10. One of the dock hands caught my lines. The lady in the office was happy to have my business and told me that dinghy docking was good for 24 hours, so I could come back later if I wanted to eat at a restaurant. A well stocked Publix grocery store was a 3 minute walk from the office. Apparently a lot of cruisers do what I did and they're happy to have the business. I guess it takes a small business to understand that every sale matters.

Ted

Like a lot of thread topics, the more you get around, the more you understand.

Sounds like my kinda place.

Hope to see you soon Ted.

Back
Top Bottom