Rosario Resort (PNW / WA / Orcas Island) reportedly to cease most operations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjisailor

Sharing this for informational purposes for PNW cruisers. I have no information other than this.

Makes me wonder if it might turn back into a private residence or the like. Or at least a very long-term project. I wouldn't expect them to let all staff go if they planned to reopen anytime this year.

Although (maybe) the marina will stay open, there would be much less reason to visit as a transient guest without the resort restaurants and activities.

From What's Up Friday Harbor on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/414081292044387/permalink/7013017092150741/):

"Rosario Resort & Spa will soon have new owners. ... We write to give you notice that the official closing of the sale will be February 29, 2024. All current employees will be permanently laid off from Rosario Signal LLC as a result of the sale.

"We have been told by the new local owner they will not continue operations of the mansion facilities in order to begin investing immediately in a substantial upgrade of the historic Moran Mansion. While the marina, marina family pool, grounds, and all lodging will reopen, the Mansion itself, including the Mansion Restaurant, Moran Lounge, Spa, Museum, and all facilities within the Mansion itself, will be closed. In preparation for the sale transaction, the resort will be cease all operations on Monday, February 19. ..."

Sorry to see that. Rosario has been on a roller-coaster of ownership for as long as I remember. Short season, high cost, remote location.

It has been a very long time since I was there. Have fond memories.

Sorry to hear about the changes.

Property taxing issues in Washington’s state and local governments have brought about many private and commercial property sales. This ongoing state battle will not leave the marine industry alone either with taxes as high as 3% being discussed.

Thanks ! It sounds like they are saying the same thing, namely that lodging will reopen but the restaurants, museums, etc, will be closed indefinitely. The FB post further emphasized the layoff of staff. Wait and see, I suppose!

BTW I have a story about Rosario marina. Years ago when I started boating, I chartered a Nordic 37 and took my elderly parents out for a week. We had a captain along to do training for the first couple of days. Then he judged me able to skipper it and left.

Our next stop was Rosario and I had to make two passes to dock the boat, thanks to the sometimes swirling currents there and some wind off of the hillside (and my inexperience). After the first pass, folks gathered to watch and help. After we docked, my mom ran out and proclaimed to everyone, "That's the first time he's ever done that!!" I could have died :)

We had a couple memorable trips to Rosario marina. Wonderful place to wander about with a nice hike up the hill to Cascade lake. The view from the point near the mansion is breathtaking and the wife and I decided would be where we would want to be married if we had known about it at the time. That said, it's a sleepy place and not surprising it doesn't do well financially. It would be a shame if it no longer allowed visitors to the marina.

Thanks ! It sounds like they are saying the same thing, namely that lodging will reopen but the restaurants, museums, etc, will be closed indefinitely. The FB post further emphasized the layoff of staff. Wait and see, I suppose!

BTW I have a story about Rosario marina. Years ago when I started boating, I chartered a Nordic 37 and took my elderly parents out for a week. We had a captain along to do training for the first couple of days. Then he judged me able to skipper it and left.

Our next stop was Rosario and I had to make two passes to dock the boat, thanks to the sometimes swirling currents there and some wind off of the hillside (and my inexperience). After the first pass, folks gathered to watch and help. After we docked, my mom ran out and proclaimed to everyone, "That's the first time he's ever done that!!" I could have died :)

Another thing that can make docking unpleasant at Rosario is the south wind. There's several miles of fetch to the south and minimal protection for the marina. During low-pressure weather, that's where the wind is coming from.

Property taxing issues in Washington’s state and local governments have brought about many private and commercial property sales. This ongoing state battle will not leave the marine industry alone either with taxes as high as 3% being discussed.

Not the problem with this property. I'm curious, do most people in Arizona have a deep interest in WA tax structures? :)

Apparently not as catastrophic as reported.

Official announcement from new owners.

As an Orcas Island resident (when I'm not out boating), I am excited about an ownership change. Even with limited services, I think it's still an interesting place to visit, especially if you're looking for a good hike in Moran State Park.

Similar story, first trip to the US many many years ago we visited Rosario and docking was "interesting" The previously mentioned south wind and my new to me 28' Bertram copy with full canvas from the radar arch above the flying bridge enclosing the entire back deck. A giant sail and a brisk wind in a boat I was just learning how to dock. Took more than two tries! We didn't break anything, but that was luck more than skill.

I suspect the new owners want a different corporate structure rather than buying the existing structure they are likely only buying the assets. This requires all employees to be terminated as the existing corporate structure will cease to exist. It is very likely the new owners will rehire most of the existing personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roche Harbor has always been, and will always be, the premier San Juan boating destination. Much has changed since the Tarte family owned and ran the resort. When John Wayne visited each summer aboard his Wild Goose!The corporatization of the resort has been a double edged sword with many physical improvements, but many more boats and visitors as well. If anyone wants to visit the area but retreat for some night time solitude, I would invite you to use my permanent mooring buoy on Westcott Bay. It’s near the Westcott Bay Shellfish Company, rated for 50’ craft, with low-low depth of approximately 10’. There is no public beach, but Roche is approximately 15 minutes away by tender. I am seldom on the island these days, and after the headache to install the buoy I would be pleased to see it used. If anyone is interested, just call/text me (720-480-8652) to check its availability. This will be on a first come, unreserved basis when I am not be using it myself.

Not the problem with this property. I'm curious, do most people in Arizona have a deep interest in WA tax structures? :)

Simple answer, yes. Especially as one who has purchased and sold property in WA. One reason we’re in AZ as opposed to WA are taxes.

That said, the NM 64 is one of my favorite boats, a subject much more fun to yak about than taxes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom