Trawler Curious , new to forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ophthodawg

Hi folks,

Just joined. I’m in contract for a1985 Ocean Alexander trunk trawler (3 cabin) 40’. I’ll be looking at the boat next weekend. I’m wondering if more experienced members here can comment on the AO use of aluminum diesel tanks … this particular specimen is said to be primarily boatshed kept in fresh water for most of its life. This isn’t my first boat buying so I think I know what to look for in general survey terms. For the OA 40’ that is 38 years old are there any particular things to look for ? The engine hours are mismatched by hundreds. The boat has twin 120 hp Lehman’s. Supposedly the previous previous owner had one of the engines “rebuilt” prior to 2015 and both tachometers were replaced and now original hours are only in the hundreds of hours. The listing agent says they have all mechanical records of the current owner for review (we will see) and the general survey and mechanical seatrial report (I’ve talked with the diesel surveyor) says the engines are good. Previous buyer bailed on the deal because one engine showed 40 psi engine oil pressure while the other showed 45 psi. The mechanic said those analog gauges are only accurate to 3-5 psi anyway so he thought a nonissue … anywho . Excited to get into trawler boating (been sailing all my life) … I expect a 38 year old boat to have some imperfections so being realistic but trying to not be foolish either … thanks for any insight

Welcome to TF. Plenty questions. You'll receive plenty of answers. Just take some with a bit of a grain of salt. :flowers:

Coming from someone with a 40 year old boat that was purchased 2 years ago. Obviously, get a good survey and no matter what there will be things missed. Keep in mind 38 years is a long time for previous owners, mechanics and others to have done things that will be eventually uncovered either by things going wrong or when doing a repair or update you will notice something else that needs attention. Eyes and wallet wide open will help soothe the pain. Doing whatever you can by yourself helps a lot. This forum has a lot of people with a lot of experience and are all incredibly helpful. In the end, it will all be worth it but you need to expect a few bumps along the way and remember a boat is not an investment, just a worthwhile expense.

There is a current thread on an OA of the same year and with the same engines. Possibly worth a read with about 40 posts.

Coming from someone with a 40 year old boat that was purchased 2 years ago. Obviously, get a good survey and no matter what there will be things missed. Keep in mind 38 years is a long time for previous owners, mechanics and others to have done things that will be eventually uncovered either by things going wrong or when doing a repair or update you will notice something else that needs attention. Eyes and wallet wide open will help soothe the pain. Doing whatever you can by yourself helps a lot. This forum has a lot of people with a lot of experience and are all incredibly helpful. In the end, it will all be worth it but you need to expect a few bumps along the way and remember a boat is not an investment, just a worthwhile expense.

Thanks Phil,

Survey is fairly clean. Does show a few hull blisters (i understand not uncommon for this era OA, one soft spot adjacent to thruhull … several poorly repaired gelcoat blemishes, a window leak in the rear cabin (may be sorted, at least an historical leak damaging a bit of wood below the window. A non-operable windlass… going for a personal inspection next week. Ill spend time doing my own inspection… useful and regular updates to the boat over the previous decade … seems promising. I have experience with vintage travel trailers (canned hams) and I’m a liveaboard my 2006 Beneteau sailboat, im handy and not boat newbie , being realistic for what projects I can handle vs outsource.

Appreciate the advice ! Cheers

Patrick

One of the good things about older boats is eventually, just about everything onboard, due to replacement, is new!

One of the good things about older boats is eventually, just about everything onboard, due to replacement, is new!
You got that right....

Peter
(1970/2023 Willard 36) 20230908_070103.jpg

29 years experience with two Ford-Lehman 120 engines here. Due to a ridiculous original exhaust installation in my 1972 GB42, the port engine suffered a number six cylinder casualty requiring a rebuild of the engine within my first year of ownership in 1987. They installed, with my approval, a higher pressure oil pump during the rebuild. When I sold the boat 28 years later, I informed the buyer why the port engine ran at 60 psi while the stbd ran at 40.

You don't sound like you would have any problems taking care of a couple of FL120s. Do consider carefully checking the temp of the number six cylinders because apparently these engines can generate some internal cooling passage sludge which can settle there. A thorough-going flush can apparently resolve this issue. Never saw it myself.

Glad to see you here, and welcome.

Yes.
Welcome aboard to the forum.
No RED flags from my POV.
A good surveyor is a must in any situation like this.
Start the process of shopping for insurance, as the older boats may be an issue for some carriers. (i.e. don't wait until after the close.)

I too grew up as a rag hanger, and now we are fully transitioned to trawler-ing.

Last edited:

Welcome Aboard !

You need to hire a good surveyor let him do him job. All surveyors will miss small things. :)

Welcome. There has been lots of discussion here on fuel tank repair and replacement. It's a legitimate concern. Biggest issue often is just getting access to them.

Shed kept fresh water boats age about 1/3 as fast as southern salt water boats in my experience. I wouldn't be scared off by the age, and nothing mentioned seems unusual. Good luck!

I should add that my boat is 45 and I'm 61. I'm quite confident that I'll quit before the boat does [emoji3].

Last edited:
Rgano,

Awesome info ! Thank you. The more I learn about FL 120 and updated 135 the more I like… the parts seem reasonably priced and there’s a wealth of information online.

I’ve decided against the particular example I was pursuing so the hunting continues … I’ll keep the forum undated as the process unfolds

Patrick

Rgano,

Awesome info ! Thank you. The more I learn about FL 120 and updated 135 the more I like… the parts seem reasonably priced and there’s a wealth of information online.

I’ve decided against the particular example I was pursuing so the hunting continues … I’ll keep the forum undated as the process unfolds

Patrick

You can’t go wrong with a pair of Lehman’s. Well maintained and will easily last 10, even 15,000 hours. Rebuild and get another 10.

If you haven’t already, get to know the good folks at American Diesel, in Kilmarnock, VA. That’s where you want to buy all your Lehman parts and accessories and they are a wealth of information as they literally wrote the book on the marinized Lehman. Any questions or concerns you have about the engines, Brian will have your answers. His dad, now passed, is the one who originally marinized the Lehman and knew that engine better than anyone. I understand Brian learned well from his dad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom