Permission to come aboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One More Run

Howdy All!

New to the forum and excited to be here.

A bit about me; I was born and raised on the Gulf Coast proximal to Houston, Texas. About 30 years ago, my father took a fishing trip to SE Alaska, with a private charter captain and was never the same again.

A few years later we were living there, and a few years more saw him owning a much beloved and meticulously maintained Kadey-Krogen 42. That boat was the "plank" that held our family and friends together each year when we would all rally up and head out into the Inside Passage. My summers were spent crewing aboard with my father. Heading up early for haul out, scrubbing, painting, waxing, provisioning. Once the kin arrived we reveled in cruising, fishing, crabbing, kayaking and hiking in beautiful areas as a family before turning the boat down for the winter. Over the years, the outpost we maintained in Sitka grew to involve a Full Custom Canvas Covers requiring upkeep, a storage lot Truck, 15' Boston Whaler Tender, a trailer to fit it, and all the maintenance, upkeep and overhead that goes with all those luxuries.

I spent years away from the boat when I joined the USMC: 2/3 Infantry Scout/Sniper 2001 - 2005 where I got in all kinds of trouble and learned the value of who I gave my authority too. After my enlistment, I wanted job security, and to help in lieu of harm and began my education in health care where I have been ever since.

After my father's retirement, the slow march of time had already degraded the capability of my father's siblings to pursue the cruising dreams aboard they always spoke of during those long summer journeys.

Before he made the tearfully difficult decision to part ways with the boat as the "good times" seemed to be in the rear view at that point, I was offered to take over ownership. Unfortunately, I was tied to a lucrative job in the Texas Medical Center, and had recently married my wife with thoughts of purchasing a small ranch for her passion; horse training. Given those factors, the overhead of a boat with all the fixings across the country did not seem maintainable for our life goals at the time.

Yep, you're reading the life story of a dumb ass. :facepalm:

In the years since, my career has focused more and more, on making the most out of "End of Life". That combined with reflection on the dreams and aspirations of my aging clan, I'm now more inclined to focus on the journey, instead of the grind. About two years ago, I stepped away from the bedside at the hospital, and secured a remote work position helping with allocation of organs for those on the wait list for Alaska, Washington, Idaho and Montana.

My dreams are now haunted by the allure of lapping water, salty air, harbor life, and all the wonderful mandatory upkeep projects to keep me occupied. Hopefully making the absolute most of a remote work position as satellite internet connectivity becomes more feasible.

I'm currently in the beginning stages of reserving a permanent slip & studying up on my options for life aboard going forward. Doing so with the high hopes to bond with my elders and learn from their wisdom over our mutual love of boats. Hopefully enriching our lives with time spent on both the journey getting there, as well as aboard as we craft new stories worth telling. The horizons are bright, and I'm hoping that we all get to make "One More Run".

Looking forward to learning & engaging with this community and staying in touch over the process.

Safe travels to you and yours.

-Lee

Lee
Welcome aboard TF

What a great childhood! Those memories are priceless.

Where’s the permanent slip going to be?

Welcome aboard! We're currently heading up the Inside Passage to AK, and can definitely see why it still draws you!
Where are you thinking of basing out of?

Welcome aboard!

Fair weather and smooth seas on your new adventure.

Back
Top Bottom