Old 08-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #101
Scraping Paint

City: -
Forklift--- Here are a couple of thoughts that have nothing to do with what's good, bad or indifferent about western Washington and Seattle.

If you determine that you want to move to this area and either bring your boat or buy one here, it would be smart to get on the waiting list of the harbor or harbors you are interested in sooner rather than later. While some marinas have no waiting list for smaller slips, slips in the 40-50 foot range can have a very long waiting list. As in years. This is certainty the case in our harbor in Bellingham and I've heard it's the same in other marinas around the Sound as well.

It does cost something to get on the list (not much as I recall) and if your name comes up and you don't accept the slip for whatever reason then you drop to the end of the list.

But it's something to keep in mind as you visit the area next month if you're going to be visiting with an eye toward having or living on a boat here.

Some if not all marinas have a limit on the number of liveaboards they will accept if they accept them at all. In our harbor I believe it's a percentage of the total boats in the harbor and it's a pretty low percentage.

In our view, liveaboards are terrific because, assuming responsible people living on the boat, there is no better form of security for the other boats on the dock and the harbor as a whole. We had three or four liveaboards on our dock in years past and it was great.

As a generality, the farther north or south of the Seattle area you go, the less expensive moorage will be. (I do not know what happens moorage-cost-wise when you go west to Bremerton, Port Orchard, Poulsbo, Port Townsend, etc.)

To my knowledge, because we haven't been involved with a boat in the Seattle area for a long time now, the most expensive moorage is in marinas like the private Elliot Bay marina (Elliot Bay being the bay in front of Seattle) and on the lakes, particularly Lake Union.

We know people who once had a boat in the Elliot Bay marina and while they did allow liveaboards (this was some years ago) they have/had very strict rules about pets.

When we were deciding where to keep the 36' cabin cruiser we had just purchased in Alameda, California and were talking to various harbors in the northern Sound we found that the harbor managements were very organized with their information--- pricing, waiting lists, etc.--- but the main office staffs were not on duty on Sundays. So if you plan to visit harbors with an eye toward getting this kind of information you'll have the best success on weekdays and Saturdays.

PS--- And if you do decided to bring your boat here and don't want to drive it the long way round two of the best marine trucking companies around are located here, Associated (photo) and Dudley.
Attached Thumbnails
Associated.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #102
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Thankfully, there are several liveaboards on K dock at my marina, including one only two berths away. She's a top official with the local Boat Squadron. Hopefully, they make use of the monthly mobile pump-out service and make heavy use of the marina's toilet facilities as I don't see them regularly move toward the pumpout station.

Staff at our marina are only available weekdays.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #103
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Great recommendations. Is there a reason that you couldn't share initially all of this thoughtful information?? I'm sure we all know how you feel by now about Lehman engines and the Seattle area. So please give the crappy approach a rest. At least for my benefit. BTW, we got a price from Associated for the move and permits for $17k. Not as bad as I thought. I would pull the radar arch/ aft hard top and deflector shield. I would think $5-8K worth of yard time and loading.
Thanks for the kind offers to visit and show us around everyone. We look forward to the camaraderie .

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #104
Scraping Paint

EDIT

As a single data point, it cost us just shy of $4,000 to have our 36' boat trucked on I-5 from Alameda to Tacoma where we had it put in a yard for some work before launching it and running it north on its own bottom. This was in 1998. We did not have to have the flying bridge removed although the venturi panels, mast, boom and antennas all had to come off.

So $17k for a diagonal trek across the country seems pretty reasonable.

Associated told us that of the GB line, the 36 is the largest one that can be trucked in the western US without removing the flying bridge. The bridge clearances are such that any of the larger models would most likely have to have the flying bridge removed which can add fair amount of expense to have it removed and put back on. Apparently back east it can be a different story with regards to the GB36 depending on the route used as the road infrastructure is older and a lot of bridge clearances are lower
Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #105
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
Well, I guess I am one of the weird ones. I was born in the deep south and spent the first half of my life on the east coast. I have lived in Morocco (as a child), Florida, Virginia, Connecticut, Mississippi (Pascagoula to be exact)
Small world, I grew up in Pascagoula. Great area for learning boating.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 AM   #106
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Very true. It used to be that Californians were the most hated people up here. The common term for them was Californicators. We even had some newspaper columnists here who actively campaigned in their columns (only partially tongue in cheek) for legislation to close the borders to people from California and deport the ones who'd been here for less than ten years.

They still are looked on very disparagingly for the most part and are the butt of a lot of rather tired jokes but it's my understanding that the immigration from California has slowed to a trickle. So we don't really hear about them much anymore.

But if you think my "comments" on what's happening to this part of the state are over the top, talk to people who've spent their entire lives here. They make me sound like a welcoming committee.
I think your view of transplants is about 10 years out of date, I have not heard a single comment regarding transplants in at least that long.. and I am in a business that deals with most of the " new northwesters".

I believe the bad attitude was related to how often the locals heard how cheap it was to live here vs. where they came from.. and that is not the case anymore.. nobody moves here for how cheap it is anymore.

You better pack up and move to someplace else as with the predicted "new normal" weather the Pac Nw is predicted to grow faster than ever as more folks will accept the less severe climate.

I think violent crime here is not really that bad.. I still feel much safer riding the light rail at 10pm between the city and seatac than I did driving in L.A. at noon in my own car 20 years ago.

Yes the politics are over the top liberal on the west side of the state.. but the gun laws are still pretty conservative.. but I also think there are plenty of places this conservative thinks are way over the top conservative and just as wacky.

For the most part folks in the PNW are still more helpful, kind, and apt to wave you ahead at a 4way intersection than the majority of this great country.

If you think the place is so bad you should go off and find utopia and let us know where it is so we won't go there and ruin it for you.

On a side note I am a former Californian, I left there for the boating here
...when I got here the weather sucked but has got better with global warming and it just gets better all the time.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #107
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Why oh why, God, am I getting into this?

I'm surprised that with all of the anality that some people bring to this forum that a simple check on statistics isn't their first recourse. The first link shows that murders in Seattle over the past decade have been both higher and lower in any given year and far from the Star Wars bar scene it's being portrayed to be. Overall, through 2013, total crime is significantly lower than a decade ago while still above the national average (Seattle being a large city and all).

Crime in Seattle, Washington (WA): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers, crime map

Here are FBI stats showing that, per 100,000 people, the murder rate in Seattle in 2012 was lower than in Tampa, Wichita or Virginia Beach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ime_rate_(2012)

A century ago, a famous journalist named Lincoln Steffens and a couple other reporters started writing aggressively about crime in NYC. The public and elected officials believed--because they were reading more about crime--that the city was going through a major crime wave even though crime rates were actually holding firm or declining. Near panic ensued. Steffens wrote about it in "I Make a Crime Wave," which is must-reading in most serious journalism schools. Better to check real numbers than forming sweeping opinions based on what you read in the paper or hear on talk radio.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #108
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I'm surprised that with all of the anality that some people bring to this forum that a simple check on statistics isn't their first recourse.
Yeah, you can find a stat that fits whatever you want it to ...

Seattle crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #109
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
36 Reasons Seattle Not Only Won The Super Bowl, But Also Wins At Life
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #110
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Enough already!! This thread is on it's way to the OT forum if it's trajectory doesn't change.

Let's return this thread to its original intent for Mrs. Forky. She wants to know about the area, not one person's likes and dislikes. I will work to delete the non-relevant posts. If it the creep returns, it'll be locked down or strikes assigned.

Sorry for the diversion, Mrs. Forky!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #111
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The crime rate in Seattle is not that bad. After hearing all the nice things said about the area and boating, I have been thinking of moving to the PNW. In fact I just answered an employment ad for a job in Seattle. Sure hope I get it. It's for a position as a tail gunner on a bread truck.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #112
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Don, I thought it might have been for the tail gunner on Marin's boat!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #113
Guru

You guys....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #114

City: Gulfport, Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: Present 42 Sundeck
Thanks Al for bringing my topic back for discussion. Even with the positives and negatives listed, we are still interested in exploring the area and what this boating opportunity could mean for Forky and Myself!
I know as in everything there is change as well as for us and the Gulf Coast region. Beautiful sandy beaches, lots of sunshine and beautiful blue water at times if you get past the Mississippi Delta is all we know. We are looking for a new experience and are educated as to what statistics show for areas we have considered.
Ok hit me: 2 or 3 things we must see on our trip when we begin our research of the Seattle area becoming home base? Would love to meet a few folk for a drink as well; so Forky can shoot the Shit and I can shoot the Patron.
Sebi says HEY!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440726197.076594.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  5.8 KB

Patricia Louise II
Present 42 Sundeck
The Best is yet to be!
The Forklift Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #115
Guru

Just for the record...
She asked "Is this how you do it?" And I said it's fine. Hit post. Sorry about Sebi pic breaking up the post.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #116
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Just for the record...
She asked "Is this how you do it?" And I said it's fine. Hit post. Sorry about Sebi pic breaking up the post.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Tadaaaaaa!! No extra charge for the superb customer service.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #117
Scraping Paint

Patricia--- If you will have time to explore more than the immediate Seattle area I suggest the following:

1. Go to Anacortes and take the ferry to Friday Harbor. This run goes through the main core of the San Juans and puts you right on the waterfront of the town which is easily explored on foot. Big harbor to walk the docks in, good restaurants, interesting shops. You can leave your car in the Anacortes terminal parking lot and walk on the ferry which is much cheaper than taking the car with you.

2. The town of Anacortes is well worth a visit, either on your way to and from the ferry terminal or on its own. The city harbor, Cap Sante, is large and worth a walk-around. Good waterfront restaurant there is Anthony's. Also a lot of good restaurants in the town itself.

3. Drive the length of Whidbey Island. You can catch the Mukilteo ferry just south of Everett and the short run takes you across to Clinton. Check out the towns of Langley in the south and Coupeville farther north. Oak Harbor has a marina (as well as being home to Whidbey Island Naval Air Station so the occasional jet roar). You can drive off the top end of island over the Deception Pass bridge which is worth parking in the lot just before you get to it and walking out on. Drive out just south of Anacortes, and then go east on Highway 20 to I-5 and back to Seattle.

4. Take the Seattle-Bemerton ferry and check out the Kitsap Penninsula and Bainbridge Island. Towns of interest are Port Orchard and Poulsbo.

5. If you have time a drive over to the Olympic Peninsula and the towns of Sequim (pronounced Squim) and Port Angeles is well worth it. If you like mountains you can drive up to Hurricane Ridge out of Port Angeles into the heart of the Olympic Mountains. If you like walking you can walk out as far as you want on Dungeness Spit which curves out into the Strait of Juan de Fuca. There is a lighthouse at the end that can be rented to stay in (the light is automated but the station is still there).

6. For a bit of a longer range adventure (but you can do it in a day) drive up to Vancouver, BC. A great destination there is the Granville Island Market which has a fabulous market where you can buy everything including fresh strawberries in February, sort of a Pike Place Market on super steroids, as well as restaurants and all sorts of shops. It's on False Creek and there are several harbors and marinas around it. Also a must-visit in Vancouver is Stanley Park which is a peninsula that juts out into the harbor. It has a very good aquarium as well as great views and walks. Vancouver has an excellent maritime museum west of False Creek on English Bay.

7. A neat waterfront town on the way to Vancouver is Steveston on one of the mouths of the Fraser River. Big commercial fishing fleet and a public fish/seafood market off the boats themselves. There is a cool maritime museum near the town (I've only seen pictures and their website).

8. Don't know your interests but in Seattle there are some good museums if you're into that. The Seattle Art Museum downtown is excellent and usually has some good traveling exhibits. The Museum of History and Industry at the south end of Lake Union has a lot of cool stuff from the city's past. On Boeing Field immediately south of Seattle is the Museum of Flight (not connected to Boeing itself) with a collection rivaled in the US only by the Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum.

9. At the South end of Lake Union and near the Museum of History and Industry is the Wooden Boat Center. I've only been there once some time ago, but they build small wood boats there and I believe even have some rowing and sailing skiffs for rent.

10. Another thing I've never done but everyone I know who has says it's great is the Ride the Duck tour. This military surplus amphibious vehicle tour goes through Seattle and points out highlights in the city and then takes to the water of Lake Union to give a tour of the lake.

11. The Hiram Chittendon (sp?) locks on the ship canal that connects Lakes Union and Washington to the Sound is worth a visit, particularly on a weekend when the boat traffic is heavy. There are boaters going through who know what they're doing and boaters who don't.

12. At the same time you visit the locks drive to the other side of the Ship Canal and visit Fisherman's Terminal. Home to Seattle's commercial fishing fleet it also has taken on some recreational vessels to fill the docks.

13. The Seattle waterfront is pretty interesting and lively with the old Alaska Gold Rush-era angled piers used for everything from souvenir shops to restaurants. The Seattle aquarium is very good with a lot of creatures from this area. There is a ton of construction going on there now with the seawall replacement project and the new waterfront tunnel project but I believe the waterfront itself is still pretty accessible. From what I hear you don't want to take a car down there and try to park but maybe it's not that bad, I don't know. There are busses or depending on where you stay you can walk down.

But whatever you do, try to take at least one ride on a ferry.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #118
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Well......

1st-Patron is our favorite poison so Bellingham should be on your list.

2nd-Fly into Seattle and catch a connection to Bellingham. The traffic around SeaTac is pretty awful and this will eliminate that problem.

3rd-Wear comfy shoes and walk on the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor as ferry traffic is terrible on the weekends. FH is a wonderful walking place.

4th-Take a float plane ride to Rosario Resort on Orcas Island and spend the night there, just a great place.

5th-PM Bob & Jill for a tour of the sights of Whatcom County and a cruise on Ebbtide.

Bob & Jill

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440734225.289818.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	43677

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440734255.391494.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	43678

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440734387.757685.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	43679

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440734428.833554.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	43680
Old 08-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #119
TF Site Team

Great list, Bob.

I'd add Gig Harbor to the list.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:57 AM   #120
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Great list, Bob.

I'd add Gig Harbor to the list.
I will second that. We keep our Sailboat in Gig Harbor and it really can't be beat. The only downside is that there is currently no fuel in the harbor. However, one of the marinas is looking to bring back diesel.

We own a 50 ft slip that we bought about 6 years ago during the real estate crash. In the Harbor typical slips are about $9 per foot.

In 2008 we used Dudley Truckling to move our boat from Marina Del Rey to Tacoma. I was very impressed with them. Total cost for the haul out, shipping, and to splash her again was about $10k.

The PNW is some of the best boating country around. Great places to cruise from Olympia to AK.
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote