new oil for Cat 2116 TA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Jack

Vessel Name
Tonda
A few years ago I noticed on the form that Cat was suggesting a new oil for the 2116TA & 2126TA, namely Cat "special application engine oil". I see that Finning the local Cat rep is now saying the this special application engine oil is not available, rather we should use CK-4 15W-40 engine oil. Has anybody else heard this?

Unless your source mentions the oil mfgr. name the spec is not of much use.

That CK-4 is simply an oil type designation.

Any oil with the proper designation should be fine.

If you are referring to Cat 3116 and or Cat 3126, I believe there is a technical service bulletin specifying 30 wt oil only for those engines. I always used Shell rotella 30wt but not easy to find on the shelf. Local Shell dealer in Portland was happy to sell it to me in 5 gal pails. You might try boatdiesel.Com for advice…

If you are referring to Cat 3116 and or Cat 3126, I believe there is a technical service bulletin specifying 30 wt oil only for those engines. I always used Shell rotella 30wt but not easy to find on the shelf. Local Shell dealer in Portland was happy to sell it to me in 5 gal pails. You might try boatdiesel.Com for advice…
A quick Google search pops-up that Cat retired production of these engines in 2004. Straight 30w may have made sense 20-years ago, but what about in today's age of greatly improved lubricants? As an owner with a 30-year old Perkins, I've struggled with this type of update. Given modern menu of oil, what would Perkins (or Cat) have spec'd back then? Probably not straight weight, but maybe.

Peter

A few years ago I noticed on the form that Cat was suggesting a new oil for the 2116TA & 2126TA, namely Cat "special application engine oil". I see that Finning the local Cat rep is now saying the this special application engine oil is not available, rather we should use CK-4 15W-40 engine oil. Has anybody else heard this?
Yes I heard that this year on this forum. 3116 & 3126 needed SAEO or straight SAE 30 oil due to the nature of its closed emissions design.
However since they don’t make SAEO anymore they allow 15w40. I’ll find the link and post it here.

That took about 30 seconds...

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/cat-special-application-engine-oil-discontinued-62224.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom