CAT Special Application Engine Oil Discontinued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdb

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 426 Classico Sedan
For years Cat has strongly recommended it's Special Application Engine Oil (SAEO) 30W, rated CF-4 to be used in 3116 and 3126 engines exclusively. Now they have discontinued this oil and are recommending using CAT DEO's 15W-40 or 15W-30 and they are saying, get this, you can only buy it from Exxon Mobil. So it's probably Mobil Delvac. I can't get anyone at Exxon to respond so far as to where is buy it..

My CAT mechanic and a well known Cat engine surveyor said we should stay with 30W, so I am hesitant is using multigrade oils many of which are synthetic blends. For years Cat recommended against multigrades. I know some people uses Rotella T1 30W but that is only rated CF-2. Amalie motor oil has XLO Fleet 30W again rated only CF2. They do have XLO 10W-30 rated CF-4 but Amelie can't tell me how to purchase either. AMSOIL is recommending their Signature Series 1W30 synthetic blend with a superior CF-4 rating but its over $40/gallon now and i am still not sure about the multi viscosity issue.

What are people using using in their 3116 or 3126 engines now? There are still a lot of them out there.

I am attaching the memo from Cat about this. My dealer is of no help. But I bet TF members have a solution.

Attachments

• PELJ2736 Cat Special Application Engine Oil Replacement IRM PELJ2736.pdf
    163.1 KB · Views: 44
My friend bought SAEO from cat years ago and it was a 5 gal bucket of Rotella 30 with a caterpillar sticker over the Shell logo. Did they add something? We still use plain Rotella T1 30 in his twin 3116 engines.

Following this. My Grand Banks 42 has CAT 3116 diesels. Last oil change (a year ago) use CAT SEO 30W oil as specified by CAT.

Not sure how much I like being told to switch oils after their literature made such a big deal about using SEO.

I have a small fleet of construction equipment, ranging from 50 hp farm tractors to a 30 ton offroad truck. Various brands, including Cat and Komatsu. Some of the equipment is 25 years old and originally used 30W oil.

At one point, we kept 30W and 15W-40 on our service truck. We now put 15W-40 in every machine. We even use it as hydraulic fluid in a couple of machines, where it's allowed by the manufacturer based on ambient operating temps.

I've not seen any adverse effects in using the 15W-40.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom