Fastener organization ideas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Looking for best thinking on organizing dozens of different small fastners, nuts, and washers on a small boat such as my Willard 36. Any cool ideas beyond the cheapo flimsy plastic tray-boxes with cheesy dividers?

Thanks in advance

Peter

I use the Dewalt stackable units. I buy most of my hardware from Jamestown Dist. you get 100 in a box so I can fit more of an assortment.

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Don't know about the "cheesy dividers" but this is about as compact as I've seen. Now as to the quantity and variety of small parts you have, it may or may not work. https://www.grainger.com/product/PLANO-MOLDING-Small-Parts-Storage-System-437T74

What I have done in the past is glue those cheesy dividers in place. Problem I found is you're then you're committed to that particular cubby size

Home Depot. Compartments on both sides and removable dividers.

20220403_175803.jpg

20220403_175815.jpg

20220403_175947.jpg

20220403_175828.jpg

No you can't borrow them.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Don't want 'em. Crappy Philip's head screws. Cam out too easily.

Pre drilling the hole, quality drivers, and driver pressure, work for me. While square head, hex, torx or whatever other head maybe be an improvement, being able to find the ss screws and in 316 SS is a higher priority.

Ted

Thanks Guys - looks like DeWalt has a decent variety of sizes. I'm building a 2-step 'stair' from my forward V-berth area up into the saloon. I think I'll size it to fit a set of these organizers. Space management on a small boat.....

Will post pictures when I'm done.

Peter

Phillips head may not be the best but they are way better than straight slot, too much trouble keeping the driver in the slot. I use quality screw drivers and throw them away when they start to get worn.

The Dewalt boxes are good and sturdy. Don't bother with the cheaper less sturdy types. If you can stick with one brand and size, they will interlock when stacked which helps keep things from going walkabout is seas. Some allow two smaller boxes to lock/stack on a single larger one. Sturdiness REALLY matters if you want to stack them.

The Milwaukee boxes are really nice, but about 3x the cost of the DeWalts.

BTW, removable/adjustable dividers can work well for larger items, but with smaller parts I find that the dividers want to walk up, and the parts want to get under them. Washers are the worst, and end up constantly escaping their designated spot.

Oh, Festool makes really nice interlocking boxes with latching drawers. Very nice, but Wow expensive. I bought one, but couldn't bring myself to buy any more.

Never heard of Festool. Thanks for the tip. Not ridiculous expensive if it fits. Will build around whatever so cost is blended into entire project. I guess that's how SnapOn stays in business.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-204853-Systainer-Organiser/dp/B0823B5G8Z

The Milwaukee ones made to stack on their rollaway cart system are indeed expensive. But they make a line of organizers that are not part of their system and are competitive with Dewalt. Frankly, given the space constraints on a 36-foot boat, spending $25 more for the right size is an easy decision.

Peter

Two weeks ago I bought this from my marina/yard which is being sold. Got it for $35, including the contents. The other 3 drawers are about 1/4 full with various stuff. It’s too big for the boat so I brought it home to my shop. I’m going to sand a paint it.

Attachments

• 90205CC1-88B5-4E73-8729-D570D75DAFF0.jpg
    90205CC1-88B5-4E73-8729-D570D75DAFF0.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 26
  • F3B1408C-81AE-4E27-B57F-A022DCBAF7A4.jpg
    F3B1408C-81AE-4E27-B57F-A022DCBAF7A4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 31
When I am using small parts I find this tray invaluable for finding the exact part I need. It makes it easy to sort through the parts and then put them back in the compartment. Rockler sells it.

Easy Sorter Funnel Tray

Just a warning on the Dewalt. They make more than one size, I found that out the hard way. I have two that lock together (Home Depot), one that is close (local fastener supply house) and one that is way off.(Amazon)

I keep all unused nuts, bolts, washers and all the other ”little stuff I might need someday.” I have all manner of bins, drawers, trays,etc. When I need a bolt or washer or the like, the thought of hunting for it is so daunting that I tend to go to the store instead…and buy still more for the immediate project at hand. I haven’t talked to my Dr. about this yet…

Since the closet hardware store is about a half hour away I try to stock the small parts and hardware that I need routinely. That is why I have cases of small parts and connectors. It is way better than having to spend an hour in the truck each time, to say nothing of the gas cost.

Looking for best thinking on organizing dozens of different small fastners, nuts, and washers on a small boat such as my Willard 36. Any cool ideas beyond the cheapo flimsy plastic tray-boxes with cheesy dividers?

Thanks in advance

Peter

I got most of my sectional boxes for small hardware from The Container Store in 2006 when we outfitted a new boat. They are made of nylon, not plastic. I still have them all today (2 boats later) the tabs that lock the boxes closed are still good as new despite near daily use some years, and the dividers which can be repositioned actually work at keeping even small washers in the correct little sections. I heartily recommend Nylon boxes from The Container Store.

I keep all unused nuts, bolts, washers and all the other ”little stuff I might need someday.” I have all manner of bins, drawers, trays,etc. When I need a bolt or washer or the like, the thought of hunting for it is so daunting that I tend to go to the store instead…and buy still more for the immediate project at hand. I haven’t talked to my Dr. about this yet…

LOL..let us all know if you do talk to your DR.

Since the closet hardware store is about a half hour away I try to stock the small parts and hardware that I need routinely. That is why I have cases of small parts and connectors. It is way better than having to spend an hour in the truck each time, to say nothing of the gas cost.

My marina neighbors save tons of driving time and cost by getting fasteners out of my vast onboard collections.

I also like the removable trays like the Festool mentioned. I have three Stanley containers like the one below.

The advantage of removable trays is that you can take then out, spread the contents on a surface and look for what you need. Using the "Easy Sorter Funnel Tray" mentioned by Comodave (or a home-made alternative) makes it easy to put the fasteners back in the tray.

It is a lot easier finding the required fastener when spread out on a flat surface than digging for it in a little container.

I have three Stanley containers for different types of fasteners:
- flat or oval head wood fasteners
- round head wood fasteners
- machine screws, nuts and washers

Within the containers I sort them by size similarity.

(I let my children do the initial sorting of old fasteners I had!)

Attachments

• 71Th5yczdjL._AC_SL1000_.jpeg
    71Th5yczdjL._AC_SL1000_.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I also like the removable trays like the Festool mentioned. I have three Stanley containers like the one below.

The advantage of removable trays is that you can take then out, spread the contents on a surface and look for what you need. Using the "Easy Sorter Funnel Tray" mentioned by Comodave (or a home-made alternative) makes it easy to put the fasteners back in the tray.

It is a lot easier finding the required fastener when spread out on a flat surface than digging for it in a little container.

I have three Stanley containers for different types of fasteners:
- flat or oval head wood fasteners
- round head wood fasteners
- machine screws, nuts and washers

Within the containers I sort them by size similarity.

(I let my children do the initial sorting of old fasteners I had!)

Those are similar to what I have. But my son is 50 years old so I couldn’t get him to do the sorting for me…

Nothing cheesy about these. Been using 3 of them for 10 years Screenshot_20220405-194149.jpg

I keep all unused nuts, bolts, washers and all the other ”little stuff I might need someday.” I have all manner of bins, drawers, trays,etc. When I need a bolt or washer or the like, the thought of hunting for it is so daunting that I tend to go to the store instead…

An old tackle box, rebranded as a junk box, has saved me for 40 years. Sometimes I sold them with my boat, sometimes with my tools, too. But they rebuild themselves in time, and are always my go-to rescue source for nut 'n bolts. Keep one and recycle pieces there first.

Snap-Lock , divided, hinges, not going to open by accident, lid works for sorting, and easy to carry to where I'm working. Got mine at Publix BOGO

Attachments

• storage container.jpg
    storage container.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 20
  • storage2.jpg
    storage2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20

:thumb:
Same here, though my Dr does the same too.

Parts and tool management

This is a HUGE deal when maintaining a boat.
I have a stanley type multipart box for machine screws and bolts another one for tap screws, an electrical box of electrical stuff. Every project gets put into its own bag.

Back
Top Bottom