Seacock Grease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Which/what kind, what brand name, grease do you guys use for lubricating your bronze seacocks?
Thank you

I try to use organic, hypoallergenic, plant based, biodegradable grease.
Or, whatever is in the grease gun that NAPA had on sale

Spartan has specific seacock grease, more expensive but it doesn't wash out or harden. I believe you can access them through the Robinhood Marine website.

Last edited:
Spartan at spartanmarine.com or Blake's seacock grease.

I tried to buy Spartan but they would only ship by courier, which would have cost $$$ at the Canadian customs (regular mail would go straight through on a small item).

I used Blake's - seems fine - quite gooey. I might have preferred it to be even thicker in consistency, but this is just a gut feel and not based on experience. Did all my seacocks in Sept 2023 (without lapping).

I use the spartan product as well. The lapping compound and the grease. Good stuff.

I use the Groco Ulube in my ball valves, no particular reason why but the advertising looked good :)

Any waterproof grease will work.

Greetings,
I vaguely recall that some greases (wheel bearing grease?) react with some component of the bronze in the fittings. That being said, my memory isn't what it never was....

iu

I would possibly be concerned with it reacting with the non metalic seal faces of the ball valve. If the valve is a bronze tapered cone style then it should be fine but if possible I would follow the manufacturers recommended product.

James

Lube a seacock? Another thing to add to my list! I'm on freshwater and have never lubed the seacocks. I'm sure this will sound dumb to those that know what to do, but how do you even do that? What part of the seacock are you lubing?

Lube a seacock? Another thing to add to my list! I'm on freshwater and have never lubed the seacocks. I'm sure this will sound dumb to those that know what to do, but how do you even do that? What part of the seacock are you lubing?

Kind of another on the endless list of things that can be done. On a traditional seacock, I guess you would have to disassemble and lube with some appropriate lube. On ball valves like Groco, they now come with Zerk fittings which makes it easy. Of course, Groco now makes their own proprietary grease with growth inhibitors and who knows what else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom