Question for Great Loop folks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE! Ok, folks...I did it! I purchased the boat! 34 Marine Trader double cabin. Now I have to get it to Tennessee from Providence RI. After looking at the flybridge in person, I can safely say it would be MAJOR work to get that thing off...although if anyone has any ideas on how that might be done, I'm all ears...it would save a ton of time for me. Assuming it can't, I have to get it here by water. I am able to keep the boat in RI until spring, and based on the comments, it looks like the northern route may be the way to go. I have a logistical nightmare on my hands, as I can't take off work and move it in one single push, I'll have to move it somewhere, park it, then come back in 2 or 3 weeks, move it more, etc.
I really appreciate everyone's help and advice. I'm sure I'm going to have a LOT of questions.
Thanks!

It took us about 40 travel days taking the northern route from the upper Chesapeake to our home near Chattanooga, averaging maybe eight mph and running 50+ miles per day. I’d factor in at least 12 days for weather, etc. We were on a quasi-delivery run, but could have shortened the trip further by not doing the Trent-Severn and its multitude of locks. The northern route was about 2,000 miles for us, probably a bit less for you, starting in RI. The southern route is considerably longer, IIRC.

All that said, I’d adopt an attitude of “I’ll get there when I get there.” It’s a wonderful ride either way. The harder you push the less you’ll enjoy it and the more likely fatigue and mistakes can happen. Ask me how I know . . .

Good luck with the trip.

It took us about 40 travel days taking the northern route from the upper Chesapeake to our home near Chattanooga, averaging maybe eight mph and running 50+ miles per day. I’d factor in at least 12 days for weather, etc. We were on a quasi-delivery run, but could have shortened the trip further by not doing the Trent-Severn and its multitude of locks. The northern route was about 2,000 miles for us, probably a bit less for you, starting in RI. The southern route is considerably longer, IIRC.

All that said, I’d adopt an attitude of “I’ll get there when I get there.” It’s a wonderful ride either way. The harder you push the less you’ll enjoy it and the more likely fatigue and mistakes can happen. Ask me how I know . . .

Good luck with the trip.

Thanks for the info!! Since we are both in Chatt area, I'd love to buy you lunch and pick your brain, send me a message if you are willing to share some knowledge!

I have no idea how to get to Chattanooga from RI, but I'm willing to lend a hand if needed. Depending on your route and intended stops, there may be Port Capts here on TF that can help find you resonable places to leave your boat when needed. Maybe private docks or moorings, yacht clubs, etc. Sure there are plenty of transient marina slips, but that can get pretty costly if you are talking about 100's of days of $100+ per day not to mention arranging your travel to/from the boat. Worthy of some advanced planning and consideration. I like the idea of a "slow loop" but logistically that is complicated as well as potentially costly. Reach out if I can help at all.

Last edited:
I studied both routes back to Chattanooga from Baltimore. The route around Florida is shorter, but not by much. I estimated 42 travel days through the Great Lakes back to Chattanooga. But that was in delivery mode.

The gotcha for a next spring leave from up north and going through the Great Lakes, will be the Illinois River for 2022.

Lock closures in 2022.

Brandon Road Lock and Dam (Mile 286) on the Illinois Waterway – Upper Bulkhead Recess Installation
Restriction period/partial closure (70’ width restriction, pass traffic during overnight hours only): 9 May 2022 thru 14 Aug 2022
Full closure: 15 Aug 2022 thru 4 Sep 2022
Final restriction period/partial closure: 5 Sep 2022 thru 8 Sep 2022

Okochobee is scheduled for closure from January 2, 2022 through March 31, 2022. Going around the tip of Florida will add a few days to your trip, though I doubt you will get there by March 31st coming from up north.

Due to the restricted operating period and the commercial traffic taking precedence over pleasure boating, it will be a little tougher to get through the restricted lock, but you will get through, with the best way to do so, staging above the lock and arranging the best time with the lock operator. After it closes completely, 15 Aug thru 4 Sept, there will also be a restricted period, complicated by a large back up of commercial craft. So getting through prior to the closure would be best.

The Erie Canal opened May 22nd this year if I remember correctly, and folks traveling through dealt with limited lock closures and some flooding. A couple of folks had a two week long delay at one lock. Could be the same for next year. If what you are doing is just trying to get her home, then traveling down the coast might be best.

My suggestion would be to get part of the trip completed this fall, if you can leave fairly quickly, and operate in delivery captain mode, at least to the Chesapeake or further if you can make it. Weather is a bigger factor now, so that should also be a consideration. Weather days will slow your trip. Be aware that finding winter slip space or a haul out spot will be a little more difficult due to the surge in purchased boats this year the further south you go. For example, slip space for extended stays in southern Florida for this winter is almost non-existent. The transient spots are available, but loopers are reporting a lot of issues finding winter dockage. Coming through their in the spring should not be the same. And, of course, at this point in the northern climes, you are dealing with limited availability of water, pump outs, and shorter days.

The TomBigBee will be manageable with the only real issue being spring rains and flooding. That may slow you down some and there will be more debris in the water. The key to safety is to try to stay away from a schedule.

Good point about canal openings. I had to wait several weeks for the Champlain canal to open before I could get my boat from VT to NY as part of the delivery. Unusually high water levels due to a snowy winter and rainy spring delayed opening till mid-late May. There is no guarenteed date.
When they did finally open, there was a lot of debris in the water once it receded, but nothing that caused any damage luckily.

Winter storage and “Leave of Absense”.

When you add up the cost of dockage for a few months, it might make sense for you to hire a captain and you spend a week with him/her then you fly home and they finish the trip without you.

3 months dockage at $75/night = $6,750 +(your personal travel to and from the boat )

12 days of capt @ $500/day = $6,000

Those are made up numbers, but they show that the 2 costs are in the ballpark enough to consider both options.

When you add up the cost of dockage for a few months, it might make sense for you to hire a captain and you spend a week with him/her then you fly home and they finish the trip without you.

3 months dockage at $75/night = $6,750 +(your personal travel to and from the boat )

12 days of capt @ $500/day = $6,000

Those are made up numbers, but they show that the 2 costs are in the ballpark enough to consider both options.

Good example. I don't know the size of the boat, but i would say the $75 rate is conservative.

Thanks for the info!! Since we are both in Chatt area, I'd love to buy you lunch and pick your brain, send me a message if you are willing to share some knowledge!

Sounds great! PM sent.

Back
Top Bottom