Name the one thing you dislike about your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would sure like a bigger state room and bigger salon in my 400 Mainship.

However, overall it's an excellent boat for what it was designed for.... intercoastal cruising. Has a LOT of features that are very desirable including:
Steps, no ladder
Comfy cockpit.
Great walk around.
And covering over most of the walk around.
Nice big flybridge, but open the side panels and can minimize side wind effect.
Open salon/galley area.
Reasonable engine access. (I can lie down on either side and access all parts of it.
Well built.

Simple to own operate and maintain.

I'll miss some of those features when I go bigger.

The wiring/rigging. Good God, the wiring.

I'll also echo SeeVee's post above, my wife wishes for more open floor space in the master cabin.

And like Wifey B, I wish it was a little faster, but I wish that for every boat I've ever owned.

Anybody who thinks their Transpac Eagle 40 is a bit too big for them, maybe we can swap and both come away winners :D

Wifey B: Wish it was faster....always wish for faster...:lol:

Love our boats as they are, but.....:ermm:

We're going to want to do the loop again in two or three years and early thinking about another loop boat. Last time did it in a Sunseeker Manhattan 65. Loved it, but.......based on some other factors not in a race to head back to Sunseeker, even though may have to. Sunseeker Manhattan 66 is a possible.

Want, 65-70' LOA, flybridge, air draft reducible to 19'. Water draft limit of 5'. Seating in bow. Three cabins plus another sleeping area whether crew cabin or pull out or something for possible seventh person, but six minimum. Cruise speed must exceed 20 knots and ideal is WOT of 30+ and cruise in upper 20's. Upper and lower helm.

Last time those that came closest without making the final cut were some of the Grand Banks (company was in turmoil), Hatteras 60 (no lower helm, noise), Sea Ray L 65 Fly (quality issues, now discontinued), Coastal Craft (model now discontinued), Fleming (two slow), Fountaine Pajot (two slow, cramped, wide). Almost went for a custom build. The perpetual story of a search for a perfect boat. :D

Isn't that what this thread is all about for all of us, always something to make our near perfect boat, perfect.

A Loop boat has always been the most difficult for us to find as we looked several years last time. :)

Always thinking years ahead. I'm sure when I'm 100 years old, will be thinking of next boat or perhaps hospital on board. :lol:

Maybe a spray system to disinfect upon push of button and protect against Covid 19? :ermm:

It's always fun to dream about boats, any boats, all boats, and what we'd change. What silly whining we do sometimes. I'd just give anything to be able to get out and cruise. Meanwhile so many others would give anything for family members back, for jobs, for avoiding eviction. :(

So back to work, yes I do work occasionally right now while cruising is out. Got some hiring to follow up on as we add people. ;)

Have you looked at the Marlow's in your size range?

BandB,

Wow, choices....choices. I'd think that 20 knots would be a challenge in those sizes.

Will be anxious to see what you come up with.

When is your next loop trip?

Wifey B: When is anything? Heck if I know. :lol:

Our normal plans would have us doing the loop in either 2022 or 2023 again. :)

We previously did it in the Sunseeker which met those requirements. Top speed was 30-32 knots and we cruised at 26-27 knots. We were very happy with the boat overall but it never really turned us on for some reason. Still the leader in looking forward is likely another Sunseeker. The boat we had has since done the loop again with the new owners who love it. We just aren't pleased with how Sunseeker has handled some aspects of their business the past couple of years. Still the Manhattan 66 with some modifications we'd make like we did on the 65 would be a good boat for it. :)

Most of our loop was with 5 or 6 total people aboard. Occasionally 7.

Have you looked at the Marlow's in your size range?

Wifey B: Won't let hubby see that post, don't want to see the flames out of his ears. :lol: No, we would never consider buying or dealing in any way with Marlow. When we started in 2012, their boats appealed to us, but the problems we've seen from the boats and even more the company drive us far away. Design cool, execution and company, not cool. :hide:

Interesting that you see a Sunseeker as superior in quality to Marlow. I'm familiar with the one lawsuit, that comes with the territory. However, I know a number of very happy Marlow owners that insist initial quality is much better than that of their competitors. You seem to have very strong opinions for not having actually owned one yourself.

Good luck with the acquisition of your next boat.

Lots of little things that are slowly being improved, but the big one that is tough to fix is engine access. I've moved the batteries to increase working space, but it's as good as it can get now.

Engine noise in the pilot house.

No cross ventilation as our version has solid windows.

After reading thru this thread I think it would be an excellent source for anyone contemplating buying another boat. Truthful information like this from owners is invaluable.

Last edited:
For me, there are a couple of things I might change or improve, all changeable for $$.
Chine slap (bow slap). Not there all the time, but there have been some nights where it is horrible (I am a light sleeper). Can be "fixed" with some permanent fibreglass work and several thousand dollars (unless you are a skilled DYIer).
Water maker. Nice to have, but we can easily do without one. We go 2-3 weeks with the capacity we have now.

Stern thruster. It would make docking and close quarter handling easier, but my wife, who does basically all helming during docking and anchoring, is getting very good at handling the single engine with bow thruster. She hardly uses the bow thruster compared to what I hear coming from other boats.
I could probably "fix" all 3 items for $30-35,000 :) :)
In my opinion, we have a very good coastal cruising boat for a couple or couple with 1 or 2 kids.

Greetings,
Re: Post #25...

121109912_717317182212616_8364958842926042538_n.jpg

Interesting that you see a Sunseeker as superior in quality to Marlow. I'm familiar with the one lawsuit, that comes with the territory. However, I know a number of very happy Marlow owners that insist initial quality is much better than that of their competitors. You seem to have very strong opinions for not having actually owned one yourself.

Good luck with the acquisition of your next boat.

I'll respond since I have the strongest opinions. We came close to buying one, but the signs were there. I have no issue with someone considering one used, just get a good survey and do an extended sea trial. What you'll find with used ones is two of the same model may be very different in ride and performance. There have been several with problems from the day of initial delivery that Marlow has ended up with them for sale later and they try hard to dance around the known issues. I call David Marlow a mad scientist. He has good ideas and designs but even when he ends up with a great boat, he won't leave it alone and the change he makes seeking a bit more speed or efficiency may be the one that creates a serious cavitation problem or something else. I have talked to many who have sea trialed Marlow and had them surveyed including several on the same boat who always found the same problem. Meanwhile, I know there are some very happy owners. I'll talk to one captain who was on one and found it to be the worst rough water boat he'd been on and then an owner who thinks his is great in rough water. That doesn't surprise me after following them for years.

My first thought was that a Marlow was the perfect loop boat. I recall reading the full story of a couple who bought one just for the loop and did it with that boat. But then I've talked to another person who owned the identical model and sold it quickly at a huge loss.

And, yes, the Kakawi lawsuit is a clinching factor for me. We initially thought that was an incredible model. All three initially built were back on the market quickly. However, the most disturbing aspects of the Kakawi suit were not that the boat had issues, but the lack of integrity and ethics shown. I could never trust Marlow to order a new boat from them. I read every page and if 10% of what they were accused of was true, it's horrific. The court believed the plaintiff.

These opinions are not aimed at Marlow Pilot either as it's more a production boat, a continuation of Mainship, and I've not seen similar issues with it.

So, no, I haven't owned a Marlow, but when I arrived here in 2012, I had two of them in my sights and I never owned one because of what I then learned. I do learn from the problems of others. I also look at legal cases. I think quickly of four builders I've read the lawsuit documents on. Marlow being one, I saw enough to never deal with them. The Northern Marine in place at the time of the disaster, I saw enough to never deal with them. Suits I'm aware of against Nordhavn and Burger would teach me lessons but would not prevent me from dealing with either. They would keep me from asking either to do something totally outside their normal. Both were outlier situations.

Another example of a boat I formed a strong opinion on and never owned. The Sea Ray L 650 Fly. My first three boats I owned were Sea Ray and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any model in their current line. We took a sea trial in the 650 that was more billed as curiosity. We did so with an owner of a dealership, since sold to Marine Max. It leaped to the top of our list, we were so impressed. Seemed nearly perfect for our purposes. We talked to someone who had one and loved it and was encouraging us, but then he shared his still existing punch list of things that had been fixed but many things that hadn't been after months of ownership. His boat was going to spend two to three months at the Sea Ray factory getting those items fixed since Marine Max hadn't done so. Then I talked to others and found out that model was rushed and sold before ready. The dealership owner who I'd known since I was a kid told what I was hearing was typical and that they'd worked through it all on the one I went out on but he'd expect a lot of issues they'd have to address on any ordered. Not for me. I can't deal with a punch list of 96 issues. Still loved the design.

As to Sunseeker vs. Marlow, I see more consistency, more seaworthiness (except the explorer models Marlow builds), and I trust them more, but after some things that have happened, not as much as I once did. They let a situation develop where a dealer was way out of line and either they knew what was going on and waited too long or they should have known and for some reason did not. I think they were blinded by the volume the dealer was bringing them so ignored his business practices. They may not be legally responsible for what then transpired but I must assign some moral responsibility to them. If I do buy another Sunseeker, I will take extraordinary steps to protect myself against a potential dealer issue or conflict with Sunseeker or I'll buy directly in the UK and get it surveyed and delivered there. On ours, we had it surveyed before accepting delivery and required them to fix all issues (all minor) before we'd accept delivery. We did not go through the dealer with whom the problems developed.

Over years of business, there are just some people I'd never deal with. One I long ago refused to sell to and has become quite famous and notorious, but I saved my company several hundred thousands of dollars by saying no and not getting caught in one of his many bankruptcies.

Last edited:
Only thing I hate is not to be able to enjoy it more!
Galley is a bit small but working on improving this, at least we have one in and one out on the bridge so no much complain.
On storage side we realize that more we have more we store junk s no need for this.

Only thing could wish is a big stand up engine room but on a 30 feet no dream possible, I prefer smaller ER and more living space.

L

Two things...
I wish the center portion of the windscreen opened and I wish the PSS dripless seal wasn't under the generator.

Minor nits:
I’d like a real helm chair for the lower helm
And I wish the salon table was movable instead of bolted down.

The showers are too small

(oh wait... the factory paint job SUCKS)

My AT34, needs more hanging closet space.
Cure, buy a bigger boat.

A lot of these complaints boil down to "Get bigger boat". Not sure if any are solvable by "Get smaller boat". Richard Dreyfuss was obviously on to something in 1975.

A lot of these complaints boil down to "Get bigger boat". Not sure if any are solvable by "Get smaller boat". Richard Dreyfuss was obviously on to something in 1975.

Wifey B: As I wasn't yet born in 1975, could you please enlighten me? :)

Logs and debris in the water.

Brian, when I said 'bigger boat', I mean 10ft not 2 ft.
I lived alone, I had lots of space for everything.
Then my beautiful sweet 'house mouse' moved on board. The shower got smaller.... women gotta have special products to maintain their smooth skin and hair and and. I gave up 3 of the 4 drawers in the stateroom plus a small cupboard. The small hanging closet? I told her 1/2, she thought I said 3/4s.
Of course, if I did buy a bigger boat, her clothing and beauty supplies would immediate expand to fill all the available space and then some. LOL Maybe I should rename the boat, "No more room". Yen is Vietnamese and I dont think she understands the concept of "no more room". Her sister is a seamstress and keeps sending her more clothes. I asked Yen to please explain to her sister, "no more room". I suspect Yen told her sister, "Send more clothes." Soooo, I complain about the small hanging closet. Gotta love it.

Wifey B: As I wasn't yet born in 1975, could you please enlighten me? :)

You are just bragging. LOL
Ah, but you did miss out on the 1960s and early 70s. SMILE

Simple answer for most all of my boats owned, except the sailboat: ENGINE NOISE!

Also, I don't like cockpits in heavy seas - can live without one.

The PO and the things he did!

Better engine access. Having to move furniture out of the way to have access to the engine hatches is unacceptable.

Longer legs. Star only carries 240 gallons total.

No Bow Thruster

My Solution is this:
Since Star is 38-39 years old and has had 6 owners with varying degrees of skill and ability (I pulled a shoebox full of wire nuts out of her when I got her). My solution is to put Star through a complete overhaul. Fix all the Dock Rash, New Wiring, Plumbing, add propane, New hardwood floors (I HATE carpet), Radar Arch, Hard Aft & flybridge bimini roofs, Bow & Stern Thrusters, New Swim platform (Stainless folding), Dink storage over the Aft Bimini, Solar over the Flybridge, etc, etc, etc. Basically, keep the hull, engines, & genset and redo the rest.

Last edited:
Need a low profile swim ladder that does not play with the stern lines.

The large above deck railings/handles are excellent for exiting the water and boarding a dinghy, but they are a challenge stern-to with stern lines on fixed docks in tidal zones.

Healhustler is working on the ultimate fix...

Attachments

• 20200816_113242.jpg
    20200816_113242.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 54
Need a low profile swim ladder that does not play with the stern lines.

I do not cross the stern lines unless I expect heavy weather.
My tender is in the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom