Old 04-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Keep your boat stocked

One night last week started out like any other night. I have a nightly routine at my house before going to bed. I finally crawled in with the dog around 11:30pm.

I was watching T.V. for about 15 minutes when my carbon monoxide detectors went off. I jumped out of bed and opened doors along the way. Grabbed the dog , my phone, purse and keys. By this time the C.O. detectors were no longer sounding. I locked the doors and went to my boat.

I keep my boat fully stocked at all times and boy am I glad I did. I did not have to worry about clothes, food, not even for the dog or anything else. I was able to move in on a moments notice and not need a thing.

I will always keep my boat stocked.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Thanks goodness - but did you find the C.O. source in your home? Or was it a false alarm? Nice to have the boat close to your home!
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Guru

The following morning I returned home and did not go in. I called the fire dept to come out and check levels. The C.O. panel detected an event, however, no cause was found. My underground propane tank did empty though. All propane has been shut off and I am still waiting on the company to test all my propane appliances and fireplace. Can't cook at home, but I'm kinda enjoying that! If I get the urge to cook, I'll do it on the boat! LOL!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Our boat is kept stocked. We spend weekends on it at the marina.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: Endeavour
Vessel Model: '87 Island Gypsy
Ours is fully stocked with alcohol. That counts, right?
lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
The following morning I returned home and did not go in. I called the fire dept to come out and check levels. The C.O. panel detected an event, however, no cause was found. My underground propane tank did empty though. All propane has been shut off and I am still waiting on the company to test all my propane appliances and fireplace. Can't cook at home, but I'm kinda enjoying that! If I get the urge to cook, I'll do it on the boat! LOL!
Wifey B: Hope they figure it all out, but so glad you took no chances and got out of Dodge. That's an old phrase that I have no idea about but it sounds good I guess. Wild West or something. We've always thought of that if for some reason we had to leave our house. We don't keep a boat all that well stocked though. Maybe we should.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
@B&B

It refers to Dodge City, Kansas.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
@B&B

It refers to Dodge City, Kansas.
Wifey B: I figure it's dangerous there. Well, was...like a bazillion years ago. They think the phrase came from Gunsmoke. Wasn't that the show where the bad guys were really lousy shots with guns so they always shot first but missed. Actually I've watched old reruns of it a couple of times but it ended before I was born.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I found out that a diaper pail put off whatever it takes to false alarm the First Alert CO detectors... Sent a note to them and about 4 months later got a reply saying ooops, here's a replacement cartridge or two.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #10

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
We do the same.

We are on out boat just about every weekend and we keep a duplicate of everything on it.

If the electricity went to crap for too long we could head to the boat and hang out on the generator for at least 14 days before we would need fuel again...
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
When the power went off here in St. Pete during the last tropical storm it was such fun to know life for me would not change. Actually it got better. The neighbor normally plays "music" way too LOUD for my preference. When his stereo stopped I was able to listen to Blue Eyes serenade me. That was great!

Congratulations Donna on being smart enough to evacuate. I'm glad you and your pup are safe. Isn't owning a fully stocked boat awesome?!?
Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
When the power went off here in St. Pete during the last tropical storm it was such fun to know life for me would not change. Actually it got better. The neighbor normally plays "music" way too LOUD for my preference. When his stereo stopped I was able to listen to Blue Eyes serenade me. That was great!

Congratulations Donna on being smart enough to evacuate. I'm glad you and your pup are safe. Isn't owning a fully stocked boat awesome?!?
Nicely put Janice...

The problem for us single engine liveaboards is the opposite....in a high priced area and forced to leave the boat...well, that applies to any stranded cruiser without deep pockets.

Glad you are fine Donna and made the best of it...surprised you just didn't cast off and head for the Bahamas...close to leaving?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #13

City: SOBX North Carolina
Glad things worked out for you and hope you find the cause.. As a side note pertaining to being stocked, well since we live in a hurricane prone area one of the first things folks rush out for when storm warnings are put up is milk and bread

. Well if things look like a serious event, the first thing I make sure to obtain is ice. We used to empty our bait freezers on our fishing boats and refill them with as many bags as we could get. Its amazing how many bags we passed around after a storm passed by to people that needed it and never thought about it for their meats, and yes their cocktails too.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
Guru

It worked out well. I actually enjoyed staying on the boat even through the lightening storm we had. It was kinda cool.

The in ground propane tank did empty, so the level in the house must have been pretty high. The propane company came out today, checked everything and filled the tank. I wish the C.O. panel would give a cause. It just gives an event.

The Bahamas are 3 weeks away!!! YAY!

Thank you all for the nice comments. I really do appreciate the kindness here.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #15
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
We live in a forested area and lose power each winter for a few days. We love having the boat to decamp to.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Stupid question but what is the link between CO and propane? Is your carbon monoxide detector the same as propane leak?

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Stupid question but what is the link between CO and propane? Is your carbon monoxide detector the same as propane leak?

L.
Propane emits carbon monoxide. It is odorless, however with propane an additive is put into the propane and has a smell close to natural gas. Before you smell it, it may be too late especially if you are asleep. The C.O. detectors are very sensitive and I'm delighted they are. Had I fallen asleep and not had the detectors, this outcome would have been very different.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I may be wrong but propane emits CO when it burns not when there is any leak that can empty your tank.
Anyway like I said I am not an expert, glad you are safe and everything is under control.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Did the propane guys find a defect, and fix it?
I was involved in a fireball case, where propane leaked a poorly terminated heater supply pipe after the heater was removed. The propane gas rose slowly from floor level until it reached a lit cigarette, and boom!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around an underground propane tank - I had no idea that was "a thing"!