Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #141
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It applies to documented vessels only as there is no requirement or provision for naming of other boats. Non-documented vessels are identified by their numbers.
Anyone,
How many of us have documented vessels?
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #142
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Anyone,
How many of us have documented vessels?
Just for you, poll started.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...els-36223.html

My guess is that at least 1/3 of the people here have a documented vessel. Some because they do a lot of international cruising, some because they financed part of the boat cost, some because they don't like numbers on their hull.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #143
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 83
My next boat will be the "Fah Que II".
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #144
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,157
Thank you BandB,
My guess is about half that but add that many may see the documented vessel as some kind of status elevatiion as it’s a big boat thing. And it just occured to me a higher level of “trawlerism”.
Will be interesting. I’ll go vote.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #145
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post
My next boat will be the "Fah Que II".
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #146
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
"Titanic" was taken already.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #147
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: St Augustine,Fl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thank you BandB,
My guess is about half that but add that many may see the documented vessel as some kind of status elevatiion as it’s a big boat thing. And it just occured to me a higher level of “trawlerism”.
Will be interesting. I’ll go vote.
Not necessarily a "Big boat thing" . as smaller boats get pricier, banks and other lenders like (require) boats to be documented because of first ships preferred mortgage trumps all liens except seamans wages and salvage liens. Like a house deed, its easily tracked with cradle to grave ownership info,unlike state registered craft .
__________________
Jack ...Chicken of the sea! Been offshore 3 miles once
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #148
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thank you BandB,
My guess is about half that but add that many may see the documented vessel as some kind of status elevatiion as it’s a big boat thing. And it just occured to me a higher level of “trawlerism”.
Will be interesting. I’ll go vote.
I think very few do it for status elevation. For us it's easy and simple and, when we sell, it gives a good solid history.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #149
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,003
condemn what you dont understand....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #150
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post
My next boat will be the "Fah Que II".
Make it easy on the bridge operator LOL
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #151
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thank you BandB,
My guess is about half that but add that many may see the documented vessel as some kind of status elevatiion as it’s a big boat thing. And it just occured to me a higher level of “trawlerism”.
Will be interesting. I’ll go vote.

Where the heck did that come from? Got nothing to do with it. Mine is Registered, Canada, which is very similar to your Documented.

T'was done by the P.O. I was told because he recognized the builder was in financial trouble. The Registration protected HIS assets even if they went bankrupt. Didn't mean there wasn't going to be some questions but to get that Registration meant the engine, the gear, the hull and a myriad of other parts bought for that boat belonged to that boat and that boat was his.
Other wise the boat would have just gone into the winds as bankruptcy assets.

They did complete his , now my boat, but the next guy who did the same thing had to get his boat finished elsewhere. But he did get it and would not have were it not Registered.
I knew him so we talked as we had sister ships.

Lots of valid reasons for a Registration/Documentation.

Further more there is only one Island Pride Registered in my Registry area.
There may be others Registered elsewhere but no where near my Registry port.

It also makes lien tracing easier which is good for purchasers and sellers.
Just a bit of a pain if you wish to change the name and a bit more paper work when the boat is sold.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #152
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Where the heck did that come from? Got nothing to do with it. Mine is Registered, Canada, which is very similar to your Documented.

T'was done by the P.O. I was told because he recognized the builder was in financial trouble. The Registration protected HIS assets even if they went bankrupt. Didn't mean there wasn't going to be some questions but to get that Registration meant the engine, the gear, the hull and a myriad of other parts bought for that boat belonged to that boat and that boat was his.
Other wise the boat would have just gone into the winds as bankruptcy assets.

They did complete his , now my boat, but the next guy who did the same thing had to get his boat finished elsewhere. But he did get it and would not have were it not Registered.
I knew him so we talked as we had sister ships.

Lots of valid reasons for a Registration/Documentation.

Further more there is only one Island Pride Registered in my Registry area.
There may be others Registered elsewhere but no where near my Registry port.

It also makes lien tracing easier which is good for purchasers and sellers.
Just a bit of a pain if you wish to change the name and a bit more paper work when the boat is sold.
As I understand the documented rules in the US, the Feds hold an 'interest' in the boat as a potential addition to it fleet. Sooo, if the Feds want, they can search for the missing/stolen vessel but, the Feds are not required to search for the missing/stolen vessel. One additional point is, one does not have to put the required state vessel registration number on the hull and IMO, ruin the lines of the boat. Plus, the state continues to come back for taxes etc.
There used to be a "document pendent" that was to be 'flown' if it was a documented vessel. I guess that pendant went the way of a buggy whip. SHRUG
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #153
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: St Augustine,Fl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
As I understand the documented rules in the US, the Feds hold an 'interest' in the boat as a potential addition to it fleet. Sooo, if the Feds want, they can search for the missing/stolen vessel but, the Feds are not required to search for the missing/stolen vessel. One additional point is, one does not have to put the required state vessel registration number on the hull and IMO, ruin the lines of the boat. Plus, the state continues to come back for taxes etc.
There used to be a "document pendent" that was to be 'flown' if it was a documented vessel. I guess that pendant went the way of a buggy whip. SHRUG
Feds can come aboard any time anywhere. 14USC89 US code gives them the right. Documented,state registered doesn't matter. Safety and documentation check. They can look in any "Man size compartments" for boarding officer safety. Man size compartment got new definitions during the early/mid eighties when Haitians were escaping desperate situations. Think the size of a microwave became the new definition of man size compartment.
__________________
Jack ...Chicken of the sea! Been offshore 3 miles once
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #154
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Feds can come aboard any time anywhere. 14USC89 US code gives them the right. Documented,state registered doesn't matter. Safety and documentation check. They can look in any "Man size compartments" for boarding officer safety. Man size compartment got new definitions during the early/mid eighties when Haitians were escaping desperate situations. Think the size of a microwave became the new definition of man size compartment.
The Feds are welcome on board my boat any time they wish to visit. Once I tell them where the gums are located, I will be happy and content. None of my guns have a shell in the chambers. When I say 'none' consists of a 12 ga shotgun and a .45acp. When I drive to and from Atlanta, I am armed with the .45acp. The 12ga is to protect myself from sharks. (innocent look)
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #155
Guru
 
Bob Cofer's Avatar
 
City: Caimanera
Vessel Name: Seafarer
Vessel Model: 1926 56’ Winslow RDMY
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by auscan View Post
imo i like a bare stern, but don't mind numbers on the hull.


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	71536
__________________
What kind of boat is that?
Bob Cofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #156
Guru
 
diver dave's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast, FL
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
On another note, I find that Canadians may have a corner on picturesque place names. My personal favorite: Dildo, Newfoundland. Sitting at the confluence of Dildo Creek with Dildo Arm, east of the Dildo Islands and Spread Eagle Bay.
I had that boring drive a few dozen times in the last couple of months. TransCanadian hwy with the only real break with signs like Dildo Pond, Conception Bay, and Placentia in close proximity.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #157
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,157
Thanks Bob,
I think I’ll just park myself here for awhile. From what I can see of this boat she has exceptionally fine lines.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #158
Senior Member
 
dirtdoc1's Avatar
 
City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thanks Bob,
I think I’ll just park myself here for awhile. From what I can see of this boat she has exceptionally fine lines.
Yeah but one of those lines looks like it's in a very uncomfortable place.
__________________
Dirtdoc1
dirtdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #159
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: St Augustine,Fl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
The Feds are welcome on board my boat any time they wish to visit. Once I tell them where the gums are located, I will be happy and content. None of my guns have a shell in the chambers. When I say 'none' consists of a 12 ga shotgun and a .45acp. When I drive to and from Atlanta, I am armed with the .45acp. The 12ga is to protect myself from sharks. (innocent look)
Feds are coming aboard your boat if they want. It has nothing to do with your permission or not. One of the first things they will ask is about weapons onboard. No problem if they are legal,they just don't want surprises.
__________________
Jack ...Chicken of the sea! Been offshore 3 miles once
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #160
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post
My next boat will be the "Fah Que II".
May slow down Mayday and Pan Pan responses - in fact any radio communication that needs a timely response
__________________
John
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012