Dock prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

Ill be heading down to florida soon (from rhode island) wondering what the average dock prices were and dry dock costs. Obviously this is a loaded question but around here youre looking at 90 and up and the 90-120 isnt all that bad.

Im not looking for a ritzy place. Just somewhere i can hang for a few months and check things out. Want to have an idea to budget. Thanks

Ill be heading down to florida soon (from rhode island) wondering what the average dock prices were and dry dock costs. Obviously this is a loaded question but around here youre looking at 90 and up and the 90-120 isnt all that bad.

Im not looking for a ritzy place. Just somewhere i can hang for a few months and check things out. Want to have an idea to budget. Thanks

90 and up for what? $.90 per foot per day? $90 per foot per month? $90 per day, but for what length boat?

Being from RI myself I'll assume that 90-120 is per foot for the new england season which is a bit low in my experience but not too far off. From what I've seen in Florida they quote rates monthly based on slip size with discounts for 6 months or 12 months. Can't offer any prices because it really depends on the boat.

For a six month stay at Safe Harbor Harborage in Stuart last March, I laid out $19 per ft. if I recall correctly. For seasonal it's higher of course. (If you can get a slip)

For a six month stay at Safe Harbor Harborage in Stuart last March, I laid out $19 per ft. if I recall correctly. For seasonal it's higher of course. (If you can get a slip)

I assume that's per month.

Ted

Wow. I very happy to own my private dock. I feel lucky with the amount of $$$ I save. FB_IMG_1630179840193.jpg

Not sure where in RI the OP is referring to. In North Kingstown we are at $150 per boat foot for 6 months. I am told that the Safe Harbor Marinas are at $200 per dock foot. Although Safe Harbor is fancier if that's important. It will all go up next year I am sure.

I'm glad I'm where I am. In the cheap docks on the Delta!

50' x 17' covered and locked, concrete and steel, potable water on dock, 60 Amp service and free pump outs. Washer & dryer, free bathrooms with showers.

52211607482_98e5e6e0f6_c.jpg

Three hundred seventy five a month - :)

I'm happy as well.
Inland lake off the Erie canal in NY with access to Great Lakes, Hudson Riv, loop etc. Our marina switched to charging for slip vs boat LOA.
6 mos season for 50 ft slip = $3,500 so about $600/ mo or $70/ ft for season based on 50 ft, $102/ ft for our nominal 34 fter or $90/ ft for 39.5 LOA all for a completely refurbished marina 2019... free live music every Fri or Sat PM.

If you are talking about doing it this year you are going to need more luck than cash. Most marinas on the east coast are already booked. West coast probably double booked. If you don’t need a marina there are anchorages and moorings available now but I expect them to be full in two weeks.

Happy I own my slip in Fort Myers. Condo fees and real-estate tax (for submerged property :banghead: ) is about $5K per year or $100 per foot annually.

Best deal I had was my floating dock slip in Crisfield, MD. Kept it till 3 years ago. If paid before the first of the year, it was $1,700 for a 50' slip with a full length finger pier. That's 34' per foot for the year! Prices have gone up, but still......

Ted

I learned years ago slips appreciate while boats depreciate. I’ve had several offers on Miami slips since I’ve been gone. We only use ours for three to four months a year so we may need to consider our options when we get home.

Slip & Apartment - St Pete Beach FL

In 2013 at tail end of bear market in Florida real estate, I looked for the cheapest slip I could find. Ended up buying a 1/1 condo in a 1950s era building on the ICW in St Pete Beach FL. It came with a 25-foot deeded slip. I paid $70k for the condo and slip in 2013, which was a decent deal even then. I remodeled the condo myself and it has had a decent VRBO income ever since. It's a cute little place - pictures attached.

A few years ago, I purchased the adjacent slip (the one with sailboat in attached pictures) for $12k from a neighbor and am in the process of reconfiguring the two slips to form a large single slip to shoe-horn Weebles into. Believe it or not, plan is to put my 30k# Willard 36 on a boat lift to further reduce annual costs. Yes, I have approvals for everything.

My point in adding to this thread is that with some luck and foresight, it's possible to it work. Frankly, the above numbers in hindsight look like a no-brainer. But at the time, the condo and slip had languished on the market at $92k for over 1.5 years without a nibble - obviously over priced for the market conditions. Those deals are gone, but with adjusted perspective, new ones will arise in the next year or so. A 2/2 with a 40-foot slip in the same complex just sold for $275k.

At any rate, if anyone is interested in renting a nice Florida condo for seasonal rent for next year, let me know. $2700/mo, but availability is limited as we have returning guests. I don't think Weebles will be there yet, so possible the slip will be available for up to a 36-footer.

Peter
Screenshot_20221026-194129_Vrbo%20Owner.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-194205_Vrbo%20Owner.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-195244_Vrbo%20Owner.jpg

Slip.jpg

Last edited:
Buying a slip

For Ted, OC Diver

When you moved full time from MD to FL didn't your insurance go up by $1000. + per year?

For Ted, OC Diver

When you moved full time from MD to FL didn't your insurance go up by $1000. + per year?

I was a Florida resident when I bought the boat, so the insurance was based on Florida during the winter and North of Savannah, GA during the summer. I consider what I pay for insurance to be quite reasonable considering my coverage goes into Canada and includes the Bahamas. To keep it in FL during hurricane season (June 1st to November 1st) would likely double the cost now.

Ted

Last edited:
Just like Rhode Island, it's going to depend on a few things:

1) Protection from wind and waves.

Being prone to hurricanes, the most sheltered marinas tend to charge a premium

2) Distance to open water.

Much of the east coast has a barrier island. It's not always a direct route to open water. I have a house in Titusville, which is on the intracoastal, but it's a long way to the ocean in either direction.

3) Proximity to a major city.

Typically the further south along the east coast toward Ft Lauderdale and Miami the more expensive things gets. While not a rule, typically the slip prices tend to follow suite with the real estate prices for that neighborhood.

Just like Rhode Island, it's going to depend on a few things:

1) Protection from wind and waves.

Being prone to hurricanes, the most sheltered marinas tend to charge a premium

2) Distance to open water.

Much of the east coast has a barrier island. It's not always a direct route to open water. I have a house in Titusville, which is on the intracoastal, but it's a long way to the ocean in either direction.

3) Proximity to a major city.

Typically the further south along the east coast toward Ft Lauderdale and Miami the more expensive things gets. While not a rule, typically the slip prices tend to follow suite with the real estate prices for that neighborhood.

Would add "Supply and Demand " from people with expensive boats.

We lost a few docks in my very protected marina in Fort Myers. The slips that are on the docks that won't return for a year or more are selling for a premium. While they will be getting nice new floating docks, they will also be paying quarterly assessments and real-estate property taxes for a slip that currently doesn't exist.

Ted

Wow. I very happy to own my private dock. I feel lucky with the amount of $$$ I save.View attachment 133180

I have been fortunate to own mine too since 2000. At the rate I was paying to keep my GB42 in a covered slip at the Panama City Marina, I figured the cost to have my own covered slip built was amortized in a about five years. Eighteen years later it was all blown down in a hurricane, but its reconstruction was aided by insurance money.

I have also been fortunate to be able to share my usually empty spare slips with passing loopers and TFers. While I won't do long-term stays and do not accept any compensation, a week or two at a time has been fun to have like-minded people here.

Last edited:
rgano;1133507 I have also been fortunate to be able to share my usually empty spare slips with passing loopers and TFers. While I won't do long-term stays and do not accept any compensation said:
Thanks for sharing!
20220123_125858.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom