Need a new or rebuilt turbocharger-----Volvo TAMD63L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sd1209

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Elizabeth Ann
Vessel Make
Navigator/Californian 3900
Took the boat out last week and at about 1700 rpm's port engine thick black smoke out the exhaust....Under 1700 all good, no smoke on start up or underway....engines both ran fine at lower rpm's...1500 hrs total.......40' Navigator....My first guess was the turbo, took the exhaust elbow off (I replaced both elbows a year ago and it looked new as it should)....looked into the turbo and attempted to turn the blades, frozen....blades frozen to the casing with carbon/soot....appears that is the issue......
Question: I can get a new OEM for 3300 plus the misc hardware they recommend (studs, etc...)..about 3700 out the door......Thinking about rebuilding....Anyone have a good experience rebuilding and can rec a company?? I am in San Diego and of course would prefer something local, like the face to face contact but I will ship with a good recommendation.....Opinions on rebuilding??

I rebuild my turbos. It's not that difficult. Most have rebuild kits that provide gaskets, seals and new bearings. If not, a good bearing supply can provide bearings and seals.
Turbos usually fail because the small oil supply plumbing can have buildups from too few oil changes and the buildups restrict oil flow. As the oil flow goes down, the bearings and seals run hotter. One reason besides lubrication for the oil supply is to cool the bearings and seals. The hottest oil is still several hundred degrees cooler than the exhaust.
There are probably Youtube videos of turbo rebuilds.

I would call these guys mainly because they're in Oceanside.
Turbocharger Rebuild Service (Standard)

The tricky part about rebuilding a turbo is the balancing upon reassembly.
Pretty important for something that lives at 100,000 RPM.

My other thought is that at such low hours the turbo may be OK after you clean it.
Unless it has some actual damage it should be good for 5,000 (or many more) hrs.

Last edited:
Ive rebuilt several turbochargers. If you mark everything before you disassemble then put it back according to the alignment marks it will stay in balance. At least it has for me.

Back
Top Bottom