GB eastbay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I’m looking at a GB Eastbay… probably a 43/45/47, with straight shafts, so ~2010 or prior. Any thoughts or things to be careful of? Any idea if they are solid hull or cored? Is above waterline coring composite or balsa?

We have a new to us GB Eastbay 47 FB. Took possession in late April, have about 50 hours underway so far (Connecticut to Chesapeake in April, and just last week Chesapeake to Maine). Our out of water survey (two days, about 12 hours total surveyor time), engine survey, and in-water survey/sea trial found no significant or structural issues. A few minor wear and tear mechanical issues (e.g., steering tie rod ends needed replacement). So, I can't point you to any issues / areas to pay particular attention to on this boat compared to other boats.

The one thing I'll say that has been very valuable to me is all of the original boat documentation was kept, including full schematics, as well as manufacturer info on every piece of equipment on the boat. Invaluable. (Also had full service records for past 6-7 years, length of prior owner's tenure.) And we absolutely love the boat.

I had a 2009 Europa 47 which I think is essentially the same hull and just a different interior and topside layout. It was an excellent boat.

Hi, I’m looking at a GB Eastbay… probably a 43/45/47, with straight shafts, so ~2010 or prior. Any thoughts or things to be careful of? Any idea if they are solid hull or cored? Is above waterline coring composite or balsa?

They're solid below the waterline and closed-cell cored above.

Like any boat, a thorough survey is key to the buying decision. The boats themselves are well-made and use high-quality materials. But like any boat those things also require maintenance. Previous owner maintenance is important.

Back
Top Bottom