Cuba - Gardens of the Queens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone ventured to Cuba and experienced the Gardens of the Queens or is the area off limits? I have been told that with a permit, people other than the approved dive outfits, can enter and anchor but my knowledge is sketchy to say the least. Looking for any advice I can get.

Thanks,

Dave

Are you a U.S. citizen? If so, then you are only legally allowed to visit Cuba if you get prior authorization. Such prior authorization will only be granted if your trip falls into one of 12 approved categories.

Of course, the reality is that a lot of Americans visit Cuba without the proper approvals. The consequences can be severe if you get caught, but it seems like few get caught. So, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Here is a good summary of the current regulations (even though it says 2022, the rules have not changed in the interim)... https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/how-us-travelers-can-visit-cuba

These "rules" are routinely ignored but setting that aside, in the past we have been fine indicating the humanitarian objective of our visit being to help the Cuban people.

My bigger interest is in the rules or permits needed to enter the Garden of the Queens. If I need a permit, how do I get it?

Sailing Project Atticus YouTube channel cruises Cuba 4-5 years ago. This video may help answer your question though not specific to Garden of the Queens. May have to backup a few episodes for more logistics. As I recall, it's possible to cruise there but options are limited. Plus, you need 100% cash. In short, my impression is the Cubans are okay with Americans, it's the Americans who may query you upon return to the US. Cuba is pretty backwards and paranoid about their citizens leaving thus the heavy handed restrictions.

https://youtu.be/_k88gsf9PNI?si=7YqNZF6dZek_BMmf

Peter

Last edited:
These "rules" are routinely ignored but setting that aside, in the past we have been fine indicating the humanitarian objective of our visit being to help the Cuban people.

My bigger interest is in the rules or permits needed to enter the Garden of the Queens. If I need a permit, how do I get it?

IMHO, since you are already entering under questionable conditions, I would bite the bullet and dump some money into the local economy and hire a dive/snorkle guide.

Nothing like working around red tape to enter, then while you're there, working around red-tape to avoid paying the locals for service.

Good will get you very far here. Just my .02.

Back
Top Bottom