Choosing my Ocean Crossing Home - advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which to Purchase?

• New Nordhavn 51

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • New/Used Kadey-Krogen 52

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These are not normal times.

The supply chain challenge have made a mess of build schedules. Try getting 4” 316 tubing. And then there’s outfitting. Last fall I waited 6 months for a Highfield dinghy and 6 months for a Garmin radar. When I picked up the dinghy in November the dealer said he’d just ordered another container and Highfield told him to expect a year.

I would add 6-8 months for supply chain issues.

I think this is completely the wrong way to look at things. Buying a used boat would easily save you 10 times the cost of maintaining the boat for a couple years. More importantly, it takes a ton of time to get a new or used boat set up for full time cruising. Life is so much better if you can use the boat locally for a couple years to shake out all the systems, and figure out the gear you want, and how it all works. ....The really nice thing about buying used boats in the class you are looking at is that many of them are owned by super smart successful people that have put 1000's of hours, and hundreds of thousands of dollars into getting completely sorted out to an insane level. Many of them will be much better boats than they were the day they left the factory.
The above would have to be the 'pearl of wisdom' of the whole thread, in my view. :) ☝️ ?

What did you decide?

OP, wHat did you finally decide? N or KK ? Or did you decide to wait and go for a brokerage boat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom