Avoiding log strikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjisailor

Looking out at the channel between San Juan Island and Brown Island, WA, there are 100s of logs of various sizes today (sticks up to telephone pole size). A real obstacle course, thanks to the king tides lately, plus storms and rain!

Although I'm not going out soon, it leaves me "chair piloting" and thinking about how to handle logs. What am I missing? Here's what I do:

1. When logs are around, slow down. I keep a look for them and ask Admiral to do the same. If we see one, slow down (if needed).

2. Expect logs where currents meet, swirl, get shallower, etc. For instance, around heads, points, and reefs. Look even closer.

3. Avoid the Swinomish Channel LOL. Also avoid narrows such as Deception Pass with current.

4. Go far around them, if clusters are seen ahead.

5. But then ... if we end up in a log collection, go to neutral. Float through them slowly using momentum as much as possible without prop. Short bursts of throttle as needed to maintain movement.

Other additions? (I sometimes ponder how bad it would have to be, before I would tie the dinghy alongside and try using it as a tug...)

5. But then ... if we end up in a log collection, go to neutral. Float through them slowly using momentum as much as possible without prop. Short bursts of throttle as needed to maintain movement.

Other additions? (I sometimes ponder how bad it would have to be, before I would tie the dinghy alongside and try using it as a tug...)

If they're all floating, then bumping in and out of gear to maintain slow movement and nudge the logs out of the way is relatively safe. It's when you start encountering partially sunken logs that you're more likely to have an issue with sending one under the boat and through a prop at low speeds.

Going slow is is given for us, 6kts gives lots of time to avoid or coast through as necessary. We are in Shelter Bay and transit the Swinomish Channel regularly, it gets a bad rap but with just a bit of minor seamanship it's not an issue.

Every spring depending on snow melt and weather and flooding, we get a lot of junk on the Missouri River. And then this is less of a problem on our section of the (impounded) river, more of a problem on the lake one dam above, but there are still "deadheads" all over the place -- giant trees that are still standing underwater, in what used to be dry land before the dams in the 1950's. So many of them are just under the surface, or so waterlogged that they're almost neutrally buoyant that I've gotten into the habit of looking for variations in the water surface patterns more than for the logs themselves. Big honkin' high-floating telephone poles are easy enough to spot if you're diligent (in daylight anyway), it's the low-swimming, lurking logs that I worry about.

Logs are just part of every transit in the PNW. Crab pots are the other big hazard. On calm days they are easy to see and avoid. On windy days it can be difficult to spot logs but usually anything big enough to do damage will have a bird sitting on it.

Logs in whirlpools are probably the most dangerous and maneuvering while transiting whirlpools is not very affective. Fortunately whirlpools are very predictable based on location and time. In other words transit whirlpool areas at slack.

Thirty years of running the PNW and I have never been damaged by a log. I have bumped a few over the years but no damage.

Really? There are logs out there?

Attachments

• forward keel.jpg
    forward keel.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 46
Going slow is is given for us, 6kts gives lots of time to avoid or coast through as necessary. We are in Shelter Bay and transit the Swinomish Channel regularly, it gets a bad rap but with just a bit of minor seamanship it's not an issue.

I generally agree ...and maybe just bad luck on our part ... but the only prop/log damage we've ever had (previous boat with no prop skeg) was from a deadhead in the Swinomish. We were slowed to about 4 kts and navigated 100s of visible logs successfully one day. We were almost out, in the south cut, when something went bump and prop started whining. Never saw it! Luckily was minor damage that was fixed by Olympic propeller. TBF that is just one event!

Nice discussion here stuck on land :)

Last edited:
Avoiding logs

RULE #1: Keep a good lookout and steer around obstacles (boats, buoys, debris, logs, etc.)

1. When logs are around, slow down. I keep a look for them and ask Admiral to do the same. If we see one, slow down (if needed). Don't need to slow down, see Rule #1.

2. Expect logs where currents meet, swirl, get shallower, etc. For instance, around heads, points, and reefs. Look even closer. See Rule #1.

3. Avoid the Swinomish Channel LOL. Also avoid narrows such as Deception Pass with current. See Rule #1.

4. Go far around them, if clusters are seen ahead. If sea room and interactions with other boats allows, steer around them.

5. But then ... if we end up in a log collection, go to neutral. Float through them slowly using momentum as much as possible without prop. Short bursts of throttle as needed to maintain movement. Yes. Of the 3300 miles/year we cruise in log/debris infested waters, we probably have to slow down and slowly transit through a debris field about once every 5 years, mostly in northern BC.

Other additions? (I sometimes ponder how bad it would have to be, before I would tie the dinghy alongside and try using it as a tug... Dinghy motor may be more susceptible to damage than the big boat.

While you had an unfortunate event that can happen to anyone, I don't see that you need to overthink this. If you really wanted to see logs and debris, go back 25-45 years when there were millions of logs floating in our cruising waters. Most were contained of course, but there was a large log patrol industry recovering wayward logs. Boating since 1958.

Cheers, Jay N

Mainly cruised on Ottawa river and we get quite some logs and junk in spring after meltdown. I remember one year when we got an heavy spring rainfall with lot of flooded area, the river was carrying a whole bunch of crap including half sunken logs, garden fence, whole tree and even few dock section. But at the speed we go it was not really a problem. The most dangerous ones are the half sukken logs that float vertically and just come in and out of water, in some case you just see them few meters away but still have time to either reroute or stop the screw.

L

I miss OTTO. My current auto pilot just does not live up to my expectiations.
OTTO was on my sailboat, kept a straight course until a log was in the way, then would deek around and return on course. Many guests on seeing a log ahead were amazed as I said watch OTTO miss that log dead ahead. Never hit a log. It was possessed, I am sure of it.

We were on the Chesapeake with hundreds of crab pots. I found that slowly scanning the waters ahead with the stabilized binoculars worked well for spotting the pots. I would go side to side and then move out a ways and repeat.

Most logs I’ve ever seen are in Johnstone Strait. But all through BC they’re a hazard. Some years ago we hit a large log right as we ran through a huge tide rip at Cape Mudge, and heard it bump all the way along under the boat. Somehow it didn’t tear off a rudder. Scary.

Most logs I’ve ever seen are in Johnstone Strait. But all through BC they’re a hazard. Some years ago we hit a large log right as we ran through a huge tide rip at Cape Mudge, and heard it bump all the way along under the boat. Somehow it didn’t tear off a rudder. Scary.

I've had a couple bumps like that where something was submerged enough that we never saw it (or only saw it pop up behind us and sink back down). Once I heard one tap a prop or rudder, but I was out of gear. The other times, they've bounced along the keel and seemingly been kicked down far enough to make it under the props and rudders.

Except for remaining as vigilant as you can in those areas, and reducing speed, not much else you can do.

After hurricane Andrew we were frequently bouncing off other types of deadheads... submerged boats. That's really freaky even though we knew that they had all been empty when the storm came.

Most logs I’ve ever seen are in Johnstone Strait.

My experience also. Coming down in September, there were a bazillion logs of all sizes in Johnstone. It was a miracle we didn't bang any, even going slow and watching diligently.

Now is an exiting time to take the Seattle/Bremerton fast foot ferry (37 knt hydrofoil cat). It feels like they speed up to keep on schedule while dancing around all of the logs produced by the king tides. Makes me wish I was wearing my PFD.

We had heavy rains up in Connecticut and Rhode Island and lots of trees were downed and got washed into Long Island Sound. I was in about 100 feet of water taking it slow and noticed 2 seagulls standing on the water (not floating). My brain kicked in because it could not process what was going on and I made a wide berth calling my wife to see what she thought. Turned out the seagulls were standing on the tree trunk that looked a 4 foot diameter just under the waterline. If it weren't for those birds I am not sure I would have caught it.
I got lucky that day...

We had heavy rains up in Connecticut and Rhode Island and lots of trees were downed and got washed into Long Island Sound. I was in about 100 feet of water taking it slow and noticed 2 seagulls standing on the water (not floating). My brain kicked in because it could not process what was going on and I made a wide berth calling my wife to see what she thought. Turned out the seagulls were standing on the tree trunk that looked a 4 foot diameter just under the waterline. If it weren't for those birds I am not sure I would have caught it.
I got lucky that day...

Good point, forgot to mention birds as a potential warning signal! Have been saved in the same way by them.

Thanks @comodave for the inclusion of crab pots. Also a big problem sometimes & some places here in the PNW.

@marco flamingo, sounds like fun at 37kts on someone else's boat! I often cringe when I hear a big log bounce off of the regular WSF hulls. But at 1/2 the speed those are only 1/4 as much impact as the Kitsap is facing.

Avoid travel at night if expecting logs and such.

This makes me want to revise the old sailor's joke:

There are three kinds of PNW boaters. The first kind has hit a log. The second kind has not. And the third kind lies about being the second kind...

:lol:

Seriously, even with a dedicated watch it can be difficult to spot every log. Fortunately, in our experience the logs that can do the most damage (and I'm not talking about deadheads) are the larger ones with more mass and are fairly easy to spot. We've hit smaller logs and even pieces of lumber that were hard to see in the waves or otherwise swirling conditions, with no damage.

Regarding deadheads, when we see one (which is relatively rare - in 4,000 PNW miles we've seen maybe half a dozen) we always contact the USCG and let them know the time/location so they can make an official announcement.

vertical logs. used to come across one every year, not noticed in many years. These are the worst kind, still floating but below the surface. wave action will pop them up. can be seen for moment like a bird on the water.

From PNW up through inside passage to AK, we saw lots of logs, especially after heavy rains. Down the West Coast to MX, only saw two.
Only time I've ever hit a log was at night, in 1983, in Puget Sound. Had to replace shaft and prop.

THose that float can be spotted usually with appropriate attention.
However even some sticks are not sticks alone but rather markere for much larger low floating logs or at least large enough chunks to cause damage..

I have seen two foot diam. logs in calm water that do not come out of the water. Dead calm day.
One memorable one for me was running in dead calm water and I just happened to look over the side and saw the 2 ft diam barrel of a large log floating just a few inches below the surface. I just missed it by a foot. In Howe Sound.

Many others may pop out but maybe not often enough if you are travelling with any speed.

Spring is the worst time as they get washed off the beach in flooding or in winter to float about.

While you had an unfortunate event that can happen to anyone, I don't see that you need to overthink this. If you really wanted to see logs and debris, go back 25-45 years when there were millions of logs floating in our cruising waters. Most were contained of course, but there was a large log patrol industry recovering wayward logs. Boating since 1958.
This.

Boating in BC these days, you are more likely to hit a sleeping humpack than a log. This big girl was in Johnsyone Strait. Boating since 1944.

Attachments

• 20230821_163216.jpg
    20230821_163216.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I can see how a couple of ice horns might be a nice addition to a boat with a single, if the PNW is your permanent home. That way you'd have 360 degree protection for your prop.

A few years ago we transited the Columbia River to the Snake River to Lewiston Idaho. When we exited some of the locks on the Snake we had to push our way thru 200 feet of sticks and logs. I would add very slowly popping in and out of gear with my wife pushing larger pieces out of the way with a boat hook. I wouldn't even consider using the bow thruster. fortunately we have a single wheel seems to be less prone to log nicks. I would also say the Johnstone Strait was the worst I have ever seen it this year.

Having ran vessels for 61 years, both commercial and pleasure, in day and night, I have hit a number of logs mostly at 7 knots or less. The only damage was a couple of years ago to my port prop on my pleasure vessel.

Lack of past damage was mostly the result of commercial vessels that drafted over six feet with heavy keels. My present vessel is wide open to damage. Twin props and relatively shallow draft.

But the two scariest things I have encountered where on two separate occasions were not logs. They were each cargo nets about 20 x 30 feet in size. They are actually what are called save-alls that go between a dock and a freighter being loaded to catch anything falling out of the gear. How these got loose is likely they were blown off a ships deck in a storm?

I was lucky enough both time to see these nets so I could avoid them. They just barely float on the surface, likely not visible in any but calm seas? I stopped and pick both up for discard on land, no small task as they are heavy. They were thick with gooseneck barnacles so had been in the ocean for a while. Smelled pretty high before making it back to port as the barnacles rotted quickly once out of the water! Makes a mess for a while.

I cringe to think of running into either of them at night in a storm. They would have destroyed the running gear even with a sacrificial in the shaft coupling (don't ask). This was a number of years ago. Forever after I never relaxed running at night which I try to avoid if possible.

John

John where were you? I’ve seen weird stuff in the ocean such as a car with the white shrink wrap on its hood and roof >500m from nearest land. Must of come off a RORO. Missed it by feet in mares tails while on AP. But knock on wood no fishing nets. Do they have steel wire in them? Are they just a near shore hazard? Not too many fish mid ocean. Do they ever sink?
So far it’s been saragasso that’s been the issue in the ocean. For sure we all have our issues on both coasts even in the ICW and C&D it’s bump and bump. Strong argument for a single screw behind a keel.

Back
Top Bottom