An interesting development

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most people who like sailboats refuse to havecthem with only sails, and for many good reasons.

Your arguments are getting a bit scattered. You just went from saying "most sailboats rarely use their sails", to "why do sailboats even need a motor at all"? I'm happy to discuss either topic, but try to stay a bit more focused.

When I sailed, I got to the point where I would sail off and on to my mooring if conditions permitted, never starting the motor at all. That doesn't mean I didn't want or need a motor at times. I remember a story about a saliboat that called the CG for a tow into port when their engine failed (before towing services really existed) and the response was to "use your sails".

Not yet, but there are incentives by the EU CFP for member states to have an increased quota based upon energy consumption.

"Within the fishing opportunities allocated to them, Member States shall endeavour to provide incentives to fishing vessels deploying selective fishing gear or using fishing techniques with reduced environmental impact, such as reduced energy consumption or habitat damage."

Thanks for corroborating that theyre not forced to by governments. And also for corroborating that another reason, in addition to fuel savings, is decreased emmissions, less pollution, as Ive been pointing out for a few years already. And did you see those spiffy new e-tugs now available? Theyre amazing.!

Your arguments are getting a bit scattered. You just went from saying "most sailboats rarely use their sails", to "why do sailboats even need a motor at all"? I'm happy to discuss either topic, but try to stay a bit more focused.

When I sailed, I got to the point where I would sail off and on to my mooring if conditions permitted, never starting the motor at all. That doesn't mean I didn't want or need a motor at times. I remember a story about a saliboat that called the CG for a tow into port when their engine failed (before towing services really existed) and the response was to "use your sails".

Its not 'scattered" to give a direct answer to YOUR coment about how sail mever used to have aux power. They COULD do that now too, but almost nobody wants to.

The sailboat catamaran video of an HH is, I think, the same brand the folks on "Gone with the Wynns" are going with for their build. The Cruising World article Steve D linked up-thread mentions three examples, one of which being Vagabond sail who are also going with an electric build. To Pierre's point, there is an agenda for these early adopters, though not legislative - there is likely a marketing angle behind the scenes. I'm sure HH will sell at least a few extra boats to one of the Wynns 400k subscribers (guessing Vagabond has twice as many, if not more).

As Ralifkin noted, sail is a perfect use-case for battery-dependent vessel. The answer to "why hasn't anyone done this before" is simple. It has been done before - Duffy Boats has been making electric launches for over 50 years. Scale and range has been limited due to battery technology which is now rapidly changing. Now, challenge seems to be ability to recharge (an offshoot of range) - either onboard generation or dockside power availability. These are major barriers for a powerboat compared to a sailboat. Of interest, the HH video describes a 40kw battery - similar to an EV. But underway, I believe they said it was only good for a couple hours - and even for an incredibly efficient hull form. Fine for sail, not fine for power (except the Duffy use case).

In the end, there are a lot of external forces in the market including legislative, and technology has made some step-improvements in batteries. Many challenges remain but in my mind, one thing is clear: the future holds more alternative energy propulsion and less internal combustion. There are headwinds for alternative energy to be sure, but there are also tailwinds and momentum. For hydrocarbons there are only headwinds and legacy.

Peter

"For hydrocarbons there are only headwinds and legacy." Not necessarily so!

There is an enormous tailwind building: Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral gasoline, diesel and jet fuels. This new-source fuel development can power billions of liquid hydrocarbon engines. They will be fungible and drop-in ready to mix in any ratio with refined crude oil. Feed stock for this fuel source is ready to be tapped and should last well into the 22nd Century... depending on inventive circumstances... maybe much longer.

Yes the altruism of the commercial fishing fleet shines through once again.

Then you should be please that these hybrid boats pollute less.

That hasn't been demonstrated. These boats are all about appearances, and people/companies spend a lot of money on appearances.

All your arguments are "by association" arguments, with zero actual facts, science, engineering, or other. "Look, there is another" doesn't explain how these systems defy physics in general, and thermodynamics specifically. Nor have any of the "clever engineers" explained it.

The general public assumes that "hybrid" is more "sustainable". It's been hammered into their heads in the context of hybrid cars, where is actually is an improvement in fuel consumption and emissions. So "by association" a hybrid boat must be "sustainable". This is how people who don't know about something figure out what to think or do. Probably 1 in 1000 people can tell you why a hybrid car reduces fuel consumption and emissions. The other 999 have to look around and try to see what others are doing, and you try to pattern-match with other industries. Lot's of people talk about being the "Tesla of Trucks", or the "Tesla of boats". It's the oldest trick in the books, declaring success by association, not by actual performance or analysis or understanding of how things work.

100% of your arguments are by-association arguments. "Damen is doing it", "Dutch engineers are clever", "there is another hybrid sail boat", "technology is advancing", "steam gaveway to electric", etc. ad nauseam. You have been presented with a wide range of factual arguments explaining why most of these propulsion system not only fail to reduce fuel consumption and emissions, but actually do exactly the opposite. You don't listen to any of them, it seems, and you have been unable to refute any of them. Where is the critical thinking here? Where is the engagement in an actual discussion about the pros and cons? Anything? I see nothing.

Yes the altruism of the commercial fishing fleet shines through once again.

Indeed, most of thos europeans ARE altruistic, because most are quite 'woke', thus they try to both make money selling boats, while making those boats less polluting, and they are pretty successful, and getting better, but some people in this groups dont even know about it.

That hasn't been demonstrated. These boats are all about appearances, and people/companies spend a lot of money on appearances.

All your arguments are "by association" arguments, with zero actual facts, science, engineering, or other. "Look, there is another" doesn't explain how these systems defy physics in general, and thermodynamics specifically. Nor have any of the "clever engineers" explained it.

The general public assumes that "hybrid" is more "sustainable". It's been hammered into their heads in the context of hybrid cars, where is actually is an improvement in fuel consumption and emissions. So "by association" a hybrid boat must be "sustainable". This is how people who don't know about something figure out what to think or do. Probably 1 in 1000 people can tell you why a hybrid car reduces fuel consumption and emissions. The other 999 have to look around and try to see what others are doing, and you try to pattern-match with other industries. Lot's of people talk about being the "Tesla of Trucks", or the "Tesla of boats". It's the oldest trick in the books, declaring success by association, not by actual performance or analysis or understanding of how things work.

100% of your arguments are by-association arguments. "Damen is doing it", "Dutch engineers are clever", "there is another hybrid sail boat", "technology is advancing", "steam gaveway to electric", etc. ad nauseam. You have been presented with a wide range of factual arguments explaining why most of these propulsion system not only fail to reduce fuel consumption and emissions, but actually do exactly the opposite. You don't listen to any of them, it seems, and you have been unable to refute any of them. Where is the critical thinking here? Where is the engagement in an actual discussion about the pros and cons? Anything? I see nothing.

Rather, your argument is just anti-hybrid bias, INSPITE of all the tons of evidence in favor of it. The boats mentioned ARE sailing around, ARE polluting less, ARE getting better milage. They can, and do , measure results. I think I remember how in another thread we determined your antipathy was based on your not being able to afford any of the wide selection of e-boats out there. But if not you, it was several of the others.

Last edited:
Unfortunate but True:

Number of human lives [8 billion] on this planet and myriad of nature-abusive actions taken therein and therefrom is the most egregious condition of pollution on Earth.

If civilization could scale down to about 500 million... well there's the answer! LOL

For those of us familiar with how the BLM works on grazing allotments, the same could be done for humans. China did it and now is faced with a century or more of major de-population; Russia similarly. Mother nature will eventually succeed absent human endeavors at population control.

Rather, your argument is just anti-hybrid bias, INSPITE of all the tons of evidence in favor of it. The boats mentioned ARE sailing around, ARE polluting less, ARE getting better milage. They can, and do , measure results. I think I remember how in another thread we determined your antipathy was based on your not being able to afford any of the wide selection of e-boats out there. But if not you, it was several of the others.

It is time to get down to the facts. Mr. Wellington what is your CV and relevant experience that provides you a learned platform from which to speak. Your lack of understanding the experience and electrification chops of TT provides you no credibility in refuting his writings.

Last edited:
It is time to get down to the facts. Mr. Wellington what is your CV and relevant experience that provides you a learned platform from which to speak.

I, and others keep sending in info, but the few deniers irrationally reject it. Some havnt even followed the thread, some never heard of e -boats, some dont believe antyhing builders say, some show they were confused about various aspects like series vs Parallel systems, some asked what a boat could do if it only gets a few hours range. They didnt know about progamming a genset to start up when batteries get down to a certain percentage. Some didnt know that boats can have solar auxiliar, some just plain unfamiliar with the subjectvat all. Some apparently envious of those who can afford boats like this Steeler 60. And my creds? Showing way more knowledge here than you have.

LOL.

Perhaps enquire about Twisted Tree's boating resume.

EDIT

LOL again.

Oh, and sunchaser's too.

Good summary. If I could add one thing. If electric could easily replace diesel in an economic and viable way, why haven't elecrtic tractor trailors taken over? Bigger market and better infrastructure than boats. I know some companies are building them but the range is roughly 200 miles. That won't fit the use case of most tractor trailers and hard to make a business case for.
This thread makes interesting reading and I have left it at that until this post.

Reducing pollution being the basis for this discussion, having a system of keeping diesel trucks out of traffic congested core centers should be the target first accomplished.

Imagine a transfer station for long haulers outside densely populated areas where electric pups pick up the load to finish the delivery. And also bring out a load to the transfer station to be hauled away by long range diesel trucks.

I don't think most of us here are biased against hybrids. Rather, we're pointing out that they're not currently practical or beneficial for all use cases. There are clearly some where they are, and others where they can be if you're willing to accept certain compromises (like reduced speed). And in some cases, functional benefits outweigh a little potential efficiency loss. But there are still applications where a hybrid system adds complexity and cost but doesn't save fuel or anything else to justify it.

LOL.

Perhaps enquire about Twisted Tree's boating resume.

EDIT

LOL again.

Oh, and sunchaser's too.

Resumes? Theymean nothing if youre biased. Imagine pointing out that so many of the left wing economists have great resumes, PhDs, etc.....but they are into marxist economics, thus biased, tbus will mock all freedom oriented economic policies.
Same with some guy who is biased against e-boats, even though, he might have worked on lots of boats. The hybrid boat industry is increasing because non biased customers see successes.

Heres the engine room of YET another hybrid boat. By Kewatec in Finland. 22 meter.

Attachments

• Raveel-Ontomoet-Ensor_20JJ1110_096-HDR_fotoJarekJõepera-315x315 (1).jpg
    Raveel-Ontomoet-Ensor_20JJ1110_096-HDR_fotoJarekJõepera-315x315 (1).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Raveel-Ontomoet-Ensor_20JJ1110_115-HDR_fotoJarekJõepera-315x315.jpg
    Raveel-Ontomoet-Ensor_20JJ1110_115-HDR_fotoJarekJõepera-315x315.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Raveel-Ontomoet-Ensor_20JJ1110_094_fotoJarekJõepera-315x315.jpg
    Raveel-Ontomoet-Ensor_20JJ1110_094_fotoJarekJõepera-315x315.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
This thread makes interesting reading and I have left it at that until this post.

Reducing pollution being the basis for this discussion, having a system of keeping diesel trucks out of traffic congested core centers should be the target first accomplished.

Imagine a transfer station for long haulers outside densely populated areas where electric pups pick up the load to finish the delivery. And also bring out a load to the transfer station to be hauled away by long range diesel trucks.

In my opinion, the shift will eventually coalesce into a few codified directions. Right now, there are a lot of uncoordinated efforts - but success rates are improving, which is why I'm generally bullish on boats like the Steeler that gave birth to this thread. There are a couple of EV Semi truck companies in the market despite the spectacular failure of the first iteration of Nikola.

Before semi-retiring this past year, I worked for BPX, the US exploration arm of BP. BPX is the old Amoco assets BP purchased back in the 1980s to enter the US markets, so a bunch of West Texas oil patch. Now, BP has pledged to be carbon-neutral by 2050 which is curious but admirable. One of the last procurement contracts I negotiated was for a fleet of Ford F150 Lightning EV trucks to service field locations. For anyone who has ever visited Midland TX, you have an idea of just how far out these locations can be. BPX will be installing charging stations at distant field locations to keep these trucks going. Not only does it contribute to the carbon neutral goal, but there's a strong business case: over time, it's cheaper than trucking gasoline to these locations. BP also owns 43% of Lightsource BP, the largest solar energy provider in Europe, and the world's third largest outside of China.

As an aside, my expertise is in negotiating IT-related service contracts including software, licensing and intellectual property rights, which is essentially what these agreements are these days.

Peter

Last edited:

All hollow, all the time. Show even ONE credible example of an A-B comparison between a direct diesel drive and a serial hybrid diesel electric with measured results that shows lower fuel consumption and lower emissions. Not broad claims in brochures or press releases, but the measured results that you say are so widely available. If for every name you have dropped you could produce a corresponding set of set of credible technical info, this might be a different discussion.

And the last thing I am is anti-hybrid. You again have no idea what you are talking about. I live in an off-grid house with a hybrid electric power system. And the house power system on my boat is hybrid electric as well. What I'm "anti" is pseudo-science and baseless claims. You say the evidence is everywhere, yet you have never produced any.

Did you read the article about Jimmy Cornell's hybrid experience. He ran smack into the realities of physics. The boat proposed, designed, and built by "clever engineers" didn't perform as claimed. Not even close.

All hollow, all the time. Show even ONE credible example of an A-B comparison between a direct diesel drive and a serial hybrid diesel electric with measured results that shows lower fuel consumption and lower emissions. Not broad claims in brochures or press releases, but the measured results that you say are so widely available. If for every name you have dropped you could produce a corresponding set of set of credible technical info, this might be a different discussion.

And the last thing I am is anti-hybrid. You again have no idea what you are talking about. I live in an off-grid house with a hybrid electric power system. And the house power system on my boat is hybrid electric as well. What I'm "anti" is pseudo-science and baseless claims. You say the evidence is everywhere, yet you have never produced any.

Did you read the article about Jimmy Cornell's hybrid experience. He ran smack into the realities of physics. The boat proposed, designed, and built by "clever engineers" didn't perform as claimed. Not even close.

Jimmy Cornell? The oceanvolt system in a,catamaram sailboat?
As far as I remember ......it worked.

First, this is a really well-written post. Many thanks.

In my opinion (hope?), EV/Hybrid/Alt Energy is pretty far along for cars, not so far for trucks. Near zero for boats except for highly adapted use cases such as the Duffy or sail. But I also see there are a number of very interesting efforts on the horizon such as the Steeler. Will it be a Nikola, or something more promises? Or are the barriers you cite impenetrable and thus we are destined to always have ICE boats?

Where JWellington has gone awry is he sees EV/Hybrid boats much further along the adoption curve than anyone else (or that can be reasonably supported - even the Steeler distributor has been radio-silent).

But it begs an interesting question - how do boats like the Steeler fit onto the technology continuum, especially for reduced-carbon energy? TT - your posts indicate you believe they are Emperors Cloths, just a fancy marketing veneer. Is that an over-simplification? For long distance, I suppose you're right - for years, owners of Hybrid cars have been disappointed by their lack of amazing mileage on long trips.

So what do these boats mean to the future? Any impact on carbon-reduction? Hybrid/EV in sail is definitely gaining traction - what is the Powerboat equivilent?

Peter

Here is some info that the German MAN company produces. I fully realized that some here think all compay specs are lies. They make the bold claim that the systems work, and many customers buy them.for reallyvnice boats.
https://www.man.eu/ntg_media/media/...dukte/marine_1/Marine_Hybrid_Broschure_DE.pdf

I'm not seeing any useful specs in there. They're talking about it being efficient, but in what context? What is it more efficient than and under what conditions?

Steve, good point and I agree with you. In a similar comparison, I can see a good case for an electric launch or tender carrying people out to their moored diesel-powered long-range trawlers. But I don't think that's the case some are trying to make here.

Steve, good point and I agree with you. In a similar comparison, I can see a good case for an electric launch or tender carrying people out to their moored diesel-powered long-range trawlers. But I don't think that's the case some are trying to make here.

There is a good case for both the tender and the yacht going electric, as so many are. They are doing it because its a good idea, not a bad one.

I'm not seeing any useful specs in there. They're talking about it being efficient, but in what context? What is it more efficient than and under what conditions?

Actually, you have to be a bit careful in how you read this. MAN describes three benefits to their hybrid system: Performance, Comfort, and Efficiency. However, for yachts, Efficiency is not a benefit - only performance and comfort. Likely due to the reasons TT and yourself cite - you can't add friction into a system and expect more work to be performed with less energy.

That said, looks like a cool system. Be interesting to see where this goes over time.

Peter

MAN Hybrid.jpg

The problems I see hear are a lack of understanding of orders of magnitude, Energy density, transfer of pollution and political addenda's.
Like Twistedtree, I am a true environmentalist not one to chase rainbow feel good solutions that pour money down a rat hole and solve nothing. Right now trillions are being wasted on pseudo-science based around politically constructed problems to the point where I think a societal collapse is inevitable. There are those in power who want exactly that to happen. Very little money is being put where the solutions really exist.
Something other than political science need to start taking hold here.

First, this is a really well-written post. Many thanks.

In my opinion (hope?), EV/Hybrid/Alt Energy is pretty far along for cars, not so far for trucks. Near zero for boats except for highly adapted use cases such as the Duffy or sail. But I also see there are a number of very interesting efforts on the horizon such as the Steeler. Will it be a Nikola, or something more promises? Or are the barriers you cite impenetrable and thus we are destined to always have ICE boats?

Where JWellington has gone awry is he sees EV/Hybrid boats much further along the adoption curve than anyone else (or that can be reasonably supported - even the Steeler distributor has been radio-silent).

But it begs an interesting question - how do boats like the Steeler fit onto the technology continuum, especially for reduced-carbon energy? TT - your posts indicate you believe they are Emperors Cloths, just a fancy marketing veneer. Is that an over-simplification? For long distance, I suppose you're right - for years, owners of Hybrid cars have been disappointed by their lack of amazing mileage on long trips.

So what do these boats mean to the future? Any impact on carbon-reduction? Hybrid/EV in sail is definitely gaining traction - what is the Powerboat equivilent?

Peter

See, this can be a constructive discussion...

The disappointment of Hybrid car woners on long trips is for EXACTLY the reason they are not helpful with boats. On a long highway drive you have a constant load, and no regenerative energy recapture, so a hybrid offers no advantage over a conventional car, yet carries some extra hybrid baggage. Thankfully they are parallel hybrids so there is a reasable change of getting performance equal to a conventional drive, and hopefully no worse in any significant way.

The whole point with boats is that operating one is essentially one long highway drive. This is a good analogy to hybrid cars that I didn't think of, and to the extent that people commonly understand this, it's a good way to explain why it's not beneficial in boats. There is no advantage to the hybrid, and no regenerative power opportunity. It's all energy out, and no energy in. Parallel hybrid adds nothing, and perhaps makes things a bit worse. Serial hybrid only makes things worse, all the time.

I think if you look at actual benefit in terms of reduce fuel consumption, and subsequent reduced emissions, the benefit of these various technologies depends hugely on the use case.

Hybrid cars work because they capture and reuse the stored energy that is otherwise thrown away when you slow down a moving car. Typical driving involves a lot of speeding up and slowing down, so it's very beneficial.

Electric cars became practical because of improved battery technology. A lot of driving is local, short trips, and an electric car works well for that use. But if you don't own your own home with a garage or parking space where you can install a charger, it becomes a lot less practical. For anyone who parks their car on the street, or in some sort of public parking, the practicality of an electric can is very limited. Similarly for anyone who has much longer driving trips in their lives.

What I think can and does work well is a two car family where one car is electric and principally used for local trips, and a conventional car for weekend getaways, trips to grandma's for thanksgiving, etc.

Here are some specific examples close to me. We had a bright yellow electric SmartCar when we lived in Gloucester. It was a perfect car for going about town, fun to drive, easy to park, and put a smile on everyone's face. And when I got home I could park it in our private garage and plug into our private charger. But it could barely make it to a more distant grocery store that my wife preferred, couldn't make it to the airport in Boston, couldn't even make it to the dealer for service. Now the SmartCar is an extreme example because it had very limited range, but you get the idea of the issues. We had two cars, so this was all acceptable to us.

My son had an electric car for a couple of years. Most of his driving is around the Bay Area and it was a good car for that. He had a designated parking space for his condo, so was able to install a charger. But when he had free time, he would go to Big Sur, or Tahoe, or somewhere to get away from the city. The trips all revolved around charger locations and strategies, and he got stuck once with no working chargers, and not enough charge to get somewhere else. His use really only worked with two cars, one for around town and one for getaways. He is now back owning a conventional car.

I live off grid and our electric consumption is about 90% solar, and 10% diesel generator when the sun doesn't shine. It would be hard to consume less for a "normal" life style. But an EV is completely off the table. Charging would be moving power from one battery to another, and I would need a whole lot more solar than I can practically install, and way more than I currently have. And for times when the sun doesn't shine, car charging would be a diesel generator, running through a charger, charging batteries, then drawing power out of one battery via an inverter to power another charger to charge the car. It's even worse than the serial hybrids we have been talking about.

I think EVs will continue to grow, and continue to expand their usefulness. Plus, charging infrastructure will continue to grow. But to fully replace cars today I think you need 300+ mile range, and every car needs access to a charger at a [parking space where they normally leave their car for 6+hrs a day. That's a LOT of chargers. We will get there, but it's not going to happen overnight. This is upside down from the current model for refueling that has evolved and been built over the past 100 years. To refuel a car you take a short break and stop somewhere, then carry on. 5 minutes to refuel is not a problem. With an EV, stopping to refuel takes too long. You want to refuel when you aren't using the car, not as a pause when you are using the car. Places like street parking spaces, longer term garages and parking lots, work parking lots, and of course private homes are where people naturally leave cars for longer periods of time. Everyone has to have access to one of those, at least once a day for this to really take over.

Back
Top Bottom