An interesting development

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a good case for both the tender and the yacht going electric, as so many are. They are doing it because its a good idea, not a bad one.

You are the master of general statements. "So many" yachts are going electric? Funny, I haven't encountered a single one on the water. Many dinghys are however, mine included. Seems to indicate that electric is good for some uses, but not all.

One thing that was interesting to me as I began to use my electric outboard is how non-linear the relationship of speed to range is. At about 35% throttle I can run for 6 hours. At 100% throttle, it's an hour at best, maybe less. The difference in speed between the two is not that great. So when a yacht builder quotes 4 hours at 5 knots, you might be surprised that you only get an hour at 7 knts.

Last edited:
I am handicapped and have the necessary sticker for my car. The warning sign stay “up to $250 fine” if you dont have the sticker. I have shammed one person out of a handicapped parking place. The charging stations do not have such a fine posted. Plus, the charging stations are not located in a convent space so a handicapped person with an EV is pretty much screwed.
The charging stations at one mall are a hefty walk to the nearest store.
I have owned 2 hybrid cars and would gladly buy another when it comes time. Alas, it seems car companies have stopped building hybrids and rather build SUVs.
I rented a car with V8 and I could watch the the gas gauge drop as I was driving.
Per a boat, I do believe there is a market for building and buying a hybrid….. I’m just not ready to go that route. Plus the wait time is almost forever.
Plus, if I were to scourer the market for a hybrid boat, pickings would be slim and the payback time is huge.

Last edited:
Many good points T Tree and is why I used the tractor trailer analogy because I see that as being similar to a boat, meaning diesel powered at a relatively steady speed for a number of hours or all day. If electric was a practical propulsion replacement for this type of use, I think there would be a fast adoption for tractor trailers. There are some start-ups trying to make a case for them, but it just doesn't work in most cases.

Actually, you have to be a bit careful in how you read this. MAN describes three benefits to their hybrid system: Performance, Comfort, and Efficiency. However, for yachts, Efficiency is not a benefit - only performance and comfort. Likely due to the reasons TT and yourself cite - you can't add friction into a system and expect more work to be performed with less energy.

That said, looks like a cool system. Be interesting to see where this goes over time.

Peter

View attachment 134864

Good for ypu , keep studying!

First, this is a really well-written post. Many thanks.

In my opinion (hope?), EV/Hybrid/Alt Energy is pretty far along for cars, not so far for trucks. Near zero for boats except for highly adapted use cases such as the Duffy or sail. But I also see there are a number of very interesting efforts on the horizon such as the Steeler. Will it be a Nikola, or something more promises? Or are the barriers you cite impenetrable and thus we are destined to always have ICE boats?

Where JWellington has gone awry is he sees EV/Hybrid boats much further along the adoption curve than anyone else (or that can be reasonably supported - even the Steeler distributor has been radio-silent).

But it begs an interesting question - how do boats like the Steeler fit onto the technology continuum, especially for reduced-carbon energy? TT - your posts indicate you believe they are Emperors Cloths, just a fancy marketing veneer. Is that an over-simplification? For long distance, I suppose you're right - for years, owners of Hybrid cars have been disappointed by their lack of amazing mileage on long trips.

So what do these boats mean to the future? Any impact on carbon-reduction? Hybrid/EV in sail is definitely gaining traction - what is the Powerboat equivilent?

Peter

I said very little about boats in my last post, so let me address that. Again looking at this from the perspective of fuel reduction and emissions reduction, there is little to no opportunity to apply any of these technologies to make the run-time of a diesel more efficient. What they can potentially do is open up the opportunity to propel boats using stored shore power (assuming it's renewable, or at least more efficient cradle to grave that direct drive diesel), and onboard solar in place of running a diesel. Onboard wind might have some opportunity, but I suspect a sail boat already does the best job of converting wind into boat propulsion.

The challenge is that it takes a lot of energy to move a boat, and that means a LOT of energy storage so you can take some shore power with you, or a LOT of solar to power the boat directly. And even with solar you will still need storage for times when solar is limited. But for small boats making short trips, with plenty of time to recharge between trips, it can work well. The classic Duffy is a great example. People have also mentioned European or other canal boats and that sounds pretty promising too. The key is to have a use model where you can have a light boat, run slow, and keep the distances short such that the energy need is a match for battery capacity. Where it breaks down is when the boat is bigger or heavier, needs to go faster, or needs to go a longer distance than a battery bank can support. There also needs to be an underway-to-dockside duty cycle that allows time to recharge with whatever dockside facilities are available. So a gigantic battery may be able to get you more range, but it also means more time to recharge.

And this all presumes that taking shore power, converting it, charging a battery, drawing it out of a battery and converting it again, then turning an electric motor is indeed less polluting etc than running a conventional drive diesel. The plant-to-plug impact of shore power can be difficult, if not impossible to really assess. It's easy to say "it's more efficient", but is it really? The power comes from a wide range of sources. Do you even know where it came from? Have you ever seen it really picked apart and looked at carefully? I haven't.

Solar can assist with a boat like above, but it's pretty clear that there isn't physical space on a boat to provide for it's full power needs. Yes, there have been a couple of experimental concept boats, but Cornell's experience reveals the reality for "normal" cruising. In another thread we looked at whether the solar that you can fit on a boat is enough to overcome the losses in a serial hybrid system, but they were not. Solar will help extend battery range in a parallel hybrid, but it's not enough to run a "normal" sail boat, and falls way short of running a power boat.

So how can things improve? Well, solar could become a lot more efficient, but I'm not holding my breath. Over the past 30 years efficiency has gone from the low teens % to about 20%. That's a lot of small incremental improvements as is typical with any technology, but it's absent any big changes. Really the big improvement in solar is that it has gone from about $5/watt 20 years ago to $1/watt today. To meet the needs of a power boat I would guess solar would need to approach 100% efficiency, and of course that won't happen. And for a sail boat a doubling to 40% efficiency might do the trick. But I'm not aware of anything that promises to do that.

For batteries, I too don't see massive change on the horizon anywhere. I say this because Lithium Ion batteries have been on the scene and in commercial use for around 30 years now. The point is that they didn't suddenly emerge out of nowhere. Things like this start off small and expensive, fill needs where the economics work, and if they are solid technologies that actually fulfill their promise, they grow and expand with incremental improvements and ongoing cost reductions, just as solar has. Lithium Ion didn't suddenly appear. It became cheap enough that it started to be practical to apply them in cars. That drove further cost-focused development, lower prices, and now it's viable in ways that it never was 20 years ago when it could only be justified in a laptop or cell phone.

Because of all this, I don't see radical change in how all this might get used in boats. I think we WILL see more and more small day boats moving to electric, just as we are seeing more and more locally driven cars moving to electric. Maybe even some trawler applications will emerge. I do think there are a lot of people who do short runs each day, moving from marina to marina. That might work. I also think that for every successful attempt at applying alternative power to boats, there will be 10-100 failed attempts, mostly because it was seat-of-the-pants rather than engineered. And accordingly, for every alternatively powered boat that is purchased and meets a customers expectations, 10-100 will fall short. But as long as there are buyers, there will be builders and sellers delivering what people "believe" must be a good idea.

For longer range trawlers, I don't see any application for propulsion. Great fro house power, but way short for propulsion. No amount of solar can make any real contribution, and you can't fit enough batteries to match a typical fuel load, not to mention the time to recharge. In yet another thread on this subject I ran some numbers and a trawler that runs a full day underway under normal speed conditions, then docks, would take days to recharge. That might work for some, but I expect it will be a minority.

The only technology that I think has the promise to fundamentally change our world energy problem, and the environmental side effects, is fusion. I've believed that since about 8th grade when I first learned about it vs fission. But obviously it's moved slowly. Maybe, hopefully, some of the recent developments will get things rolling with more focus. In the mean time we need to do everything we can to help in any and all ways. But let's do the things that help, not things that make the problem worse.

Many good points T Tree and is why I used the tractor trailer analogy because I see that as being similar to a boat, meaning diesel powered at a relatively steady speed for a number of hours or all day. If electric was a practical propulsion replacement for this type of use, I think there would be a fast adoption for tractor trailers. There are some start-ups trying to make a case for them, but it just doesn't work in most cases.

One of the big differences that people make with comparing boats to trucks....is speed. A yacht might travel at 5-15 kts, etc, how fast a truck? 60-70mph. We also know that when a,boat slows down, say from 15 kts to 5 it uses way less fuel. But nobody suggest trucks slow down like that. You cant compare, nor to aeroplanes.

Last edited:
Here is a sane system for combo diesel/electric.

Very well thought of system and this is exactly what I meant in my post. What Steeler did is just a first start. More and more companies are starting to search for solutions and am pretty sure that in 20 years time we will also say (if we are still alive by then :)): 'that makes perfect sense, why wasn't it done earlier ?'

If I would want a sailing catamaran I would sincerely look at this idea.

Twisted Tree.....You mentioned the problem of charging...like 2 days in port, ignoring that the Steeler 60 can charge in 2 hours, while its also moving.

You also missed the Zen 50 mentioned above. Doesnt even need a genset, but will put one in for paranoid people. So, sail around the world, bo fuel at all. Jimmy Cornell should try it.

"The blue water capable ZEN50 lightweight racing carbon hulls are combined with a huge solar roof for an unrivaled 1:1 solar power versus displacement ration (16 kW / 16 tonnes), making this yacht completely energy self-sufficient. A revolutionary, fully automated, wingsail - by Ayro© - can be added as a range and speed extender. The yacht’s high capacity battery bank powers a powerful silent electric propulsion, allowing the ZEN50 to achieve 14 knots and maintain high continuous speeds in unrivaled safety and comfort, indefinitely…

The ZEN50 is offered with or without wingsail and comes in 3 main different version: Racer, Cruiser and Explorer, each dedicated to a different usage and owner profile. We use these versions as a basis to define a final, bespoke specification for each of our valued clients and ZEN Community Members. Scroll down for more details, specifications and prices."

Very well thought of system and this is exactly what I meant in my post. What Steeler did is just a first start. More and more companies are starting to search for solutions and am pretty sure that in 20 years time we will also say (if we are still alive by then :)): 'that makes perfect sense, why wasn't it done earlier ?'

If I would want a sailing catamaran I would sincerely look at this idea.

The Steeler 60 is NOT a first start, there have been others for years, some of us have posted them here, including in this thread.

Actually, you have to be a bit careful in how you read this. MAN describes three benefits to their hybrid system: Performance, Comfort, and Efficiency. However, for yachts, Efficiency is not a benefit - only performance and comfort. Likely due to the reasons TT and yourself cite - you can't add friction into a system and expect more work to be performed with less energy.

That said, looks like a cool system. Be interesting to see where this goes over time.

Peter

View attachment 134864

It also reduces emissions.... at anchor on batteries

And it reduces emissions.....coming and going to/from harbor running on electric.

But it's silent on net operational emissions, or any added emissions to recharge the batteries - something that doesn't happen for free.

I think most people realize that marketing material like this is a collection of narrow truths that paint the very best picture possible about a product or offering. A scrutinizing consumer digs a bit deeper to get the less flattering parts left out by the manufacturer, knowing they will be glossed over or omitted.

One of the big differences that people make with comparing boats to trucks....is speed. A yacht might travel at 5-15 kts, etc, how fast a truck? 60-70mph. We also know that when a,boat slows down, say from 15 kts to 5 it uses way less fuel. But nobody suggest trucks slow down like that. You cant compare, nor to aeroplanes.

Again I disagree. Your logic is confounding. Just because the actual speeds of a truck vs boat are different doesn't mean they are not comparable. In fact, a truck traveling down the highway at 60-70 mph requires way less energy than a yacht traveling at 5-15 knts. And yet electric power for 8 hours of driving that truck are not currently feasible so how do you expect it to work well for a boat? And you are correct that power to move a boat rises exponentially with speed, so that 55' power cat that gets 4 hours at 5 knts (which btw is painfully slow for that boat) might get 30 mins of runtime at 15 knts.

I think most people realize that marketing material like this is a collection of narrow truths that paint the very best picture possible about a product or offering. A scrutinizing consumer digs a bit deeper to get the less flattering parts left out by the manufacturer, knowing they will be glossed over or omitted.

Not everyone as evidenced by repeated posts here by some that would rather just spout the narrow truths and advertising hyberbole and ignore all the rest. Thanks for your more comprehensive view.

It also reduces emissions.... at anchor on batteries

And it reduces emissions.....coming and going to/from harbor running on electric.

But it's silent on net operational emissions, or any added emissions to recharge the batteries - something that doesn't happen for free.

If they ever say something is free, Ill have harsh words with them. You sound lime those guys who when you buy something that says it uses 100 watts, you test it .

One thing that was interesting to me as I began to use my electric outboard is how non-linear the relationship of speed to range is. At about 35% throttle I can run for 6 hours. At 100% throttle, it's an hour at best, maybe less. The difference in speed between the two is not that great. So when a yacht builder quotes 4 hours at 5 knots, you might be surprised that you only get an hour at 7 knts.

Exactly. This becomes much more apparent when you have very limited stored power. The energy to move a boat faster is an exponent of 2.5, or at least that's what's commonly used to calculate propulsion power requirements. That means that to double your speed it takes 5.6 times as much power. This is for displacement speeds. That's why when you read about electric boats, they are always moving very slowly when talking about range.

If they ever say something is free, Ill have harsh words with them. You sound lime those guys who when you buy something that says it uses 100 watts, you test it .

If I think they are is weasel wording, then yes. Cable TV boxes were all touted as being "low power consumption". Compared to what? Most consumed more over a 24hr period than a typical refrigerator.

If I think they are is weasel wording, then yes. Cable TV boxes were all touted as being "low power consumption". Compared to what? Most consumed more over a 24hr period than a typical refrigerator.
Better check your lawnmower, it might not really be the 3hp claimed.

Twisted Tree.....You mentioned the problem of charging...like 2 days in port, ignoring that the Steeler 60 can charge in 2 hours, while its also moving.

You also missed the Zen 50 mentioned above. Doesnt even need a genset, but will put one in for paranoid people. So, sail around the world, bo fuel at all. Jimmy Cornell should try it.

"The blue water capable ZEN50 lightweight racing carbon hulls are combined with a huge solar roof for an unrivaled 1:1 solar power versus displacement ration (16 kW / 16 tonnes), making this yacht completely energy self-sufficient. A revolutionary, fully automated, wingsail - by Ayro© - can be added as a range and speed extender. The yacht’s high capacity battery bank powers a powerful silent electric propulsion, allowing the ZEN50 to achieve 14 knots and maintain high continuous speeds in unrivaled safety and comfort, indefinitely…

The ZEN50 is offered with or without wingsail and comes in 3 main different version: Racer, Cruiser and Explorer, each dedicated to a different usage and owner profile. We use these versions as a basis to define a final, bespoke specification for each of our valued clients and ZEN Community Members. Scroll down for more details, specifications and prices."

Selective analysis only serves to reinforce what you already believe. aka confirmation bias. We are seeking a deeper understanding than that, and looking beyond the glossy brochures and press releases. There remains no concrete, measured demonstration of reduced fuel consumption or emissions for a serial hybrid, something you claimed was abundant, but that you can't produce. We need less microphone, more throttle.

More "proof by name dropping". I'm unimpressed. Glad you agree with all the shortcomings that I have pointed out, since you haven't ever refuted any of them.

Glad I didnt claim proof of anything. But one guy said he was impressed with info ne didntvknow before, from the German MAN company. Thus guys who dont know much about this topic mightvlike to learn what some other big companies are doing.

Better check your lawnmower, it might not really be the 3hp claimed.

Again, you miss the point. There are broad, non-specific claims, and there are concrete specifications. In the fine print the cable boxes say what their power draw is. And my lawn mower may talk about "peak HP", whatever that is, but the specs provide an SAE HP number.

We could start with concrete specifications related to the fuel savings and emissions reductions for any of these boats that you have referenced. You said those clever engineers have measured performance numbers. We all know engineers love their numbers. So where are they?

Less microphone, more throttle.

Again, you miss the point. There are broad, non-specific claims, and there are concrete specifications. In the fine print the cable boxes say what their power draw is. And my lawn mower may talk about "peak HP", whatever that is, but the specs provide an SAE HP number.

We could start with concrete specifications related to the fuel savings and emissions reductions for any of these boats that you have referenced. You said those clever engineers have measured performance numbers. We all know engineers love their numbers. So where are they?

Less microphone, more throttle.

Have fun checking everything with your instruments. Waitva minute, how would you trust your voltmeter is accurate?.

Selective analysis only serves to reinforce what you already believe. aka confirmation bias. We are seeking a deeper understanding than that, and looking beyond the glossy brochures and press releases. There remains no concrete, measured demonstration of reduced fuel consumption or emissions for a serial hybrid, something you claimed was abundant, but that you can't produce. We need less microphone, more throttle.

No deeper understanding possible since: some here dont even accept the concept.....some dont have a clue about it, wont study up, dont believe any companies, are nostalgic about old boats, etc.

Greetings,
Mr. tt. Goodness gracious me. Those clever engineers SAID the numbers are good.

What more proof do you want. If you can't trust those Germans and Dutch, who CAN we trust????

iu

Greetings,

What more proof do you want. If you can't trust those Germans and Dutch, who CAN we trust????

I know some who trust them, all those companies and individual who have bought their bouts and say they're good. Just recently I gave examples from Iceland, Scotland, and from all overvthe friggin place. Youre one of those guys mentioned just above in my " no deeper thoughtvpossible" message.

Glad I didnt claim proof of anything. But one guy said he was impressed with info ne didntvknow before, from the German MAN company. Thus guys who dont know much about this topic mightvlike to learn what some other big companies are doing.

I have found a bunch of the info interesting too, and all of it consistent with everything that I've said. Zero emissions in harbor while maneuvering on electric. That's nice, but it gets made up, plus some more once out of the harbor. Zero emissions at anchor. That's nice too, but it gets made up, plus some more once underway again. A short burst performance boost when needed, but no claim of it being more efficient. Only a vague claim of greater efficiency, but no context about when or under what circumstances, so it could be anything. It could be that while both propelling the boat and recharging batteries, the engine operates more efficiently than if propelling only. This is reasonably achievable, and would be a true statement. But it has been left to our imagination. What we know from the science is that any such gain is overwhelmed by other losses.

All that said, we have living proof that people still think this is holistically more efficient.

Greetings,

iu

I probably would trust them, and think it speaks volumes that they haven't actually published any such numbers.

Face it folks!

No matter the power source or drive line combination... Most boats do not move easily, efficiently through the water at anything above crawl speed

We are... :horse: :horse: :horse: !!!

Now - If you can remove the friction-drag for common boat hulls - Winner, Winner! Chicken Winner!!

Back
Top Bottom