Inside Passage Travel Route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
Hello, I am hoping to travel up the Inside Passage in late May. We will be leaving Sequim and heading for Petersburg AK.
I am hoping to find folks that have made the trip and are willing to share their experience.
Routes, stops, good anchorages, fuel stops and safe havens. All he things that others have learned by doing or instructions from others.
I hope I can find some good soles willing to share.
Thanks

You are aware the border is closed to non-essential travel right now and the closure looks like it will longer than shorter.

Don't get your hopes up on your trip. The border with Canada is closed until further notice except for essential travel. Suggest you read some cruising guides in the interim. The Douglass 'Exporing' books have a lot of information, published by Fine Edge.

I have made that trip in both directions quite a few times. It is a fabulous journey and while the weather can be miserable May-June is a good choice for that trip. We will need more information about the capability and range of your boat in order to respond to your questions. Your mechanical skills and that of your crew also has a bearing on your choices.

There are numerous online chart plotting aps that you can download and begin making plans. It is a process that you will enjoy immensely if you are like most of us.

If you can transit B.C. without anchoring or making landfall you’re golden. If not (sounds unlikely) then you can plan, but like famous quotes - you make plans and then then the first shot is fired/life happens. We’ve got a great 40 day float plan for B.C. starting in Anacortes but I’m now creating a new summer plan based on the San Juans and South Sound. Desolation may still remain an impossible dream.

Last edited:
I would not make any hard and fast plans about going through Canada now.

Hello, I am hoping to travel up the Inside Passage in late May. We will be leaving Sequim and heading for Petersburg AK.
I am hoping to find folks that have made the trip and are willing to share their experience.
Routes, stops, good anchorages, fuel stops and safe havens. All he things that others have learned by doing or instructions from others.
Thanks

Take a look at my blog below. Been 3 times now. Was hoping to go this year too. We will see.

Thanks

At the present, you had be able to make the trip non-stop, no anchoring, on port calls, nothing. With the border closed, only non-stop traverse is available.
Let me know if this is bad information, as that is the concept that I am believing to be in effect at the moment.:banghead:
Al-Ketchikan

At the present, you had be able to make the trip non-stop, no anchoring, on port calls, nothing. With the border closed, only non-stop traverse is available.
Let me know if this is bad information, as that is the concept that I am believing to be in effect at the moment.:banghead:
Al-Ketchikan

Al,

I've been wondering about that. It is certain that Canada is still allowing the non-stop passage Wa to Ak on their inland waters? I haven't been able to find good info on the subject. I could see Canada closing that passage, especially to recreational boats, because it is such a challenging run to do non-stop. Not the length, it is the timing of all of the tidal "gates" and having to run some of them and narrow passages as well in the darkness. Recreational boaters could have a hard time pulling that off and wind up anchoring or trying to tie to shore. A few mishaps and the non-stop passage would be shut down to recreational boaters.

I know some will bring up the idea that Canada cannot restrict water passage but I'll disagree. Doing a bit of research I find that Canada claims territorial water out to 12 miles. https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/O-2.4/page-1.html#h-382995 That puts the Canadian parts of the Inside Passage within Canada's territorial sea.

Canada has in recent times exercised their right of control over their portion of the inside passage. See "1994 Transit Fee Crisis" in this Wikipedia article.

Anyway, the idea of running non-stop through the inside passage or running up the outside is something not to be taken lightly.

With the correct vessel and some decent weather routing, Neah Bay to Ketchikan or beyond is quite easy. James Hamilton has an excellent blog describing M/V Dirona's initial journey up the West Coast of Vancouver Island and across the Gulf of AK.

Many do the Inside passage non stop, but again the right vessel and a large array of LEDs for log spotting. Then timing Cape Caution and Dixon Entrance weather correctly which is no small chore.

As others have said though, you'll need a 1,000 mile range, capable vessel and experienced crew to do the IP non stop. Few can meet these basic requirements. Good news, diesel fuel prices are plummeting in Washington.

With the correct vessel and some decent weather routing, Neah Bay to Ketchikan or beyond is quite easy. James Hamilton has an excellent blog describing M/V Dirona's initial journey up the West Coast of Vancouver Island and across the Gulf of AK.

Many do the Inside passage non stop, but again the right vessel and a large array of LEDs for log spotting. Then timing Cape Caution and Dixon Entrance weather correctly which is no small chore.

As others have said though, you'll need a 1,000 mile range, capable vessel and experienced crew to do the IP non stop. Few can meet these basic requirements. Good news, diesel fuel prices are plummeting in Washington.

Agreed, with the right vessel, crew, skills and information it is doable. But will Canada continue to allow transit on their portion of the inside passage? It's their territorial sea, they don't have to allow US boats to transit inside.

It's the same with cars...if you wanted to drive nonstop across the US or Canada (carrying extra fuel) you probably wouldn't be allowed.

If vessel and crew are capable and WX is good going the outside
is the easiest way to Ketchikan to start your summer cruise.

No tide / current windows to worry about, much less floating debris, etc.

Most of the non-stop (trains as they are called) through BC are with fishing boats and tugs. With fishing boats, I have seen 5-10 boats following each other trading off the lead position. In order to do the non-stop they would call Prince Rupert Traffic (VTS) to obtain a permit.

I am surprised it would be no anchoring, no port calls I understand. When I cleared customs in Ketchikan the officer only inspected if you made a port call, and didn't if you didn't stop and set foot on land in your passage.

Canadian ports of entry are the equivalent of land crossings and are closed to non-essential traffic. Recreational vessels will be denied entry, at first reporting, north or south. The only option is to go outside.

I am surprise this is even being discussed, at this time.

Canadian ports of entry are the equivalent of land crossings and are closed to non-essential traffic. Recreational vessels will be denied entry, at first reporting, north or south. The only option is to go outside.

I am surprise this is even being discussed, at this time.

The reason it is being discussed is the long standing Canadian policy to allow US boats to transit the Canadian waters of the Inside Passage without checking in to Canada customs as long as the boat does not anchor or dock. It has not been made clear if that policy will continue or not.

One post mentioned the fishing fleet checking in with Prince Rupert Traffic. However many of the recreational boats do not need to check in with traffic.

The reason it is being discussed is the long standing Canadian policy to allow US boats to transit the Canadian waters of the Inside Passage without checking in to Canada customs as long as the boat does not anchor or dock. It has not been made clear if that policy will continue or not.

One post mentioned the fishing fleet checking in with Prince Rupert Traffic. However many of the recreational boats do not need to check in with traffic.

That may have changed even for rec boats. May need to get a permit.

Yes it may have. And I respect the Canadians exercising their authority to protect their citizens.

As an aside. Given the choice to run the inside passage 24 x 7 with no stops vs the outside I'd take the outside. With a well found boat with suffeecient ange the main obstacle on the outside is a good weather window.
That may have changed even for rec boats. May need to get a permit.

Thanks to all who have replied and offered opinions. Rest assured I am aware of the present closing of Canada’s border. I hope that in two months it will have changed. We have the capacity to go non stop or even the outside but this is not to be a hurry up journey but a nice easy trip. Thank you all for the input and future info will be accepted gladly.
Thanks
Bones

My apologies, I posted on the basis of the original question which was about routing and stops.

The official position as of this writing is, the policy as you described, in respect to non-stop transit, is still in effect with these caveats:

a) if touching land at any point, for any reason, all bets are off and the normal reporting is required, along with mandatory 14 day self-isolation

b) this is subject to change at any time without notice so, immediately prior to entering Canadian waters, it is advised to confirm this policy with CBSA at 1-888-226-7277 or an appropriate, operating Telephone Reporting Site/Marine (TRS/M)
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/trsm-sdtm-eng.html

Thanks for the contact numbers. I’m sure they will come in handy.

BUT.. Have some pity on the folks at your destination. Just because you may be able to make it nonstop around Canada what about the folks in Alaska who may not have been exposed.

Isolation has two purposes. One purpose is to keep yourself from getting the virus. The other purpose is to keep from spreading the virus to others.

You may be able to comply with the letter of the law by not stopping in Canada but you certainly are NOT isolating yourself.

pete

BUT.. Have some pity on the folks at your destination.

Thank you for saying that; I withheld such comment because I wanted to stick to the “transit” issue and not go to a socio-political place.

Your comments also apply to any Canadians unintentionally put in harm’s way, especially in view of WA being a viral wild west.

Far too many people still don’t get it and are clustering inappropriately, because they “aren’t sick.”

If you are a fishing boat just delivering the boat, then non-stop. But a recreational boat wanting to cruise the area, in perhaps what may be a once in a lifetime trip, skipping the BC coast is short changing the experience by a considerable percentage. I guess one could plan on non-stop or outside up, and hope the situation is resolved by September for the trip south. But missing the Victoria - Prince Rupert section of coast would definitely be the abridged version of the book.

Inside non-stop means running at night. Last year in particular, you had better have huge lights and a large, balsy, sharp eyed crew as flotsam was thick and frequent. Don't know about this year yet.

BUT.. Have some pity on the folks at your destination. Just because you may be able to make it nonstop around Canada what about the folks in Alaska who may not have been exposed.

Isolation has two purposes. One purpose is to keep yourself from getting the virus. The other purpose is to keep from spreading the virus to others.

You may be able to comply with the letter of the law by not stopping in Canada but you certainly are NOT isolating yourself.

pete

You make a good point. I could limit my contact with Alaskans to once every 3 weeks for food and fuel. I've done it in previous years. I could make that contact very minimal. Ketchikan has an excellent grocery store a short walk from the docks. It's Safeway. Many Safeway stores offer curbside pick up. If the Ketchikan store does they only have to see me long enough to process the credit card. The fuel dock would need to process the credit card and hand me the fuel nozzle. We'd both be wearing gloves anyway.

Outside of stopping for fuel and provisions I anchor out the rest of the time. No dock hopping for me.

If I were to depart Wa mid June, arrive Ak late June, depart Ak mid Sept, arrive Wa late Sept my # contacts could be kept to 4 or 5. Each social interaction would be a few minutes each time. The only thing I'd be giving up is we usually laid overnight and went out for dinner on our in ports.

In two months let’s hope it’s not an issue!

Of course, the nice thing about having a boat if the borders are still closed, is you could always travel north out beyond Canadian waters, something you couldn't do in an RV.
Then it would be a coastwise US to US trip, with no customs or immigration to worry about.
Several times going north in my truck for work on the Alaska fishing boats I've asked the Canadian officials at the border when the bridge to Alaska would be finished, so we Americans wouldn't have to keep bothering them, but for some reason they were not amused. Canadians are certainly nice, but their sense of humor could use improvement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom