Bahamas Flotilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What route of ingress and initial cursing area do you Bahama veterans recommend?
West Palm Beach (or other jump off point) to West End, Grand Bahama, then cruise Abaco
or
Miami to Bimini, then cruise Berry Islands and Eleuthera
or
Some thing else?

Seems like there are too many choices, so I'd like to hear what you enjoyed most. Are Abaco and Eleuthera very different cursing experiences?

I plan to arrive at my jump off location ~1Apr and wait for favorable weather to cross. I'll probably try to position for a return crossing by around 20May and again wait patiently for favorable weather to cross. This should give me 4-6 weeks to explore some of the Bahamas. Not looking for a busy itinerary, but rather get to know one area pretty well. Mostly anchor or mooring, with a marina dock for a night or 2 every week. Chill villages and small towns are the aim, with occasional isolated anchorages in nature. I draw 3'.

For the first time I think I would choose Abaco for easier cruising, more places to get more supplies, etc.

Leave from the Lake Worth anchorage to Memory Rock then Mangrove, or Great Sale if not too tired to anchor for the night. It took us 16 hours to go from Lake Worth to Great Sale. Left LW 3:30am. Then to GTC the next day was about 50 miles, and check in on GTC at New Plymouth.

After passing Crab Cay it’s all pretty protected water and easy cruising.

Last edited:
KF

IMO it all depends what you want to see and then leave for the best point of departure. I agree with cardude, I usually tell friends to do the Abacos first, however I like the Exumas but we like to lay at anchor. To each his own. Last year we spent a week at Great Harbor visiting native friends dating back fifty years ago, I spent many weeks in Little Harbor as a kid. All chains of the Bahamas have something to offer (I stay away from the more populated islands.)

For the first time I think I would choose Abaco for easier cruising, more places to get more supplies, etc.

Leave from the Lake Worth anchorage to Memory Rock then Mangrove, or Great Sale if not too tired to anchor for the night. It took us 16 hours to go from Lake Worth to Great Sale. Left LW 3:30am. Then to GTC the next day was about 50 miles, and check in on GTC at New Plymouth.

After passing Crab Cay it’s all pretty protected water and easy cruising.

Being new I am confused. On the above cruise plan, I thought Mangrove was south as in south of Nassau? I assume there is another "Mangrove" being referenced? What is "GTC"?

Being new I am confused. On the above cruise plan, I thought Mangrove was south as in south of Nassau? I assume there is another "Mangrove" being referenced? What is "GTC"?

Hal, Mangrove Cay is a low lying small cay between Great Sale and West End to the south west (for those wishing to leave of enter the Bahamas Bank from West End or bypassing West End from West Palm or locations south) and White Sand Ridge to the North West (transiting to or from Fort Pierce to/from the Bahama Bank).

It has some shelter from most wind directions except direct Westerlies and Easterlies.

What route of ingress and initial cursing area do you Bahama veterans recommend?
West Palm Beach (or other jump off point) to West End, Grand Bahama, then cruise Abaco
or
Miami to Bimini, then cruise Berry Islands and Eleuthera
or
Some thing else?

Seems like there are too many choices, so I'd like to hear what you enjoyed most. Are Abaco and Eleuthera very different cursing experiences?

I plan to arrive at my jump off location ~1Apr and wait for favorable weather to cross. I'll probably try to position for a return crossing by around 20May and again wait patiently for favorable weather to cross. This should give me 4-6 weeks to explore some of the Bahamas. Not looking for a busy itinerary, but rather get to know one area pretty well. Mostly anchor or mooring, with a marina dock for a night or 2 every week. Chill villages and small towns are the aim, with occasional isolated anchorages in nature. I draw 3'.

I would recommend you visit Abaco for your first visit. Buy the Dodge Guide and that will see you there, through and back. The Abacos have more facilities for cruisers and less remoteness, but you still get a flavor of the Bahamas - crossing the stream, getting through customs and immigration, discovering the islands for yourself (your way) before crossing back. Most of the time you will have boats withing hailing distance to give you and your crew some comfort.

See my guide here:

Getting Documentation Ready For The Bahamas | AtAnchor.com

On future trips you can go West Palm to Lucaya and then to the Berrys and Exuma. Some much longer cruises to get there and back, and completely different cruising grounds. Then looking further out you can start to drift further south and east to the Far Bahamas - but that is for another thread!

Hal, Mangrove Cay is a low lying small cay between Great Sale and West End to the south west (for those wishing to leave of enter the Bahamas Bank from West End or bypassing West End from West Palm or locations south) and White Sand Ridge to the North West (transiting to or from Fort Pierce to/from the Bahama Bank).

It has some shelter from most wind directions except direct Westerlies and Easterlies.

Thanks Menzies. What is the "GTC" mentioned? Green Turtle Cay?

Thanks Menzies. What is the "GTC" mentioned? Green Turtle Cay?

Yes, Green Turtle.

Between Mangrove and the Sea of Abaco (Abaco Sound) there are a number of beautiful cays and anchorages. Great Sale is a good anchorage, as it Angel/Crab. Then there is Spanish (which is private but has a very good marina and customs check in), then on to GTC. After that you need to be mindful of Whale Cay Channel - which can get really nasty in a NE blow and needs nearly the same respect given to a gulf stream crossing. Once across Whale Cay though you are in cruising grounds where you can find good shelter, and good anchorages regardless of the weather direction.

Again, I would advise anyone going over to Abaco for the first time to get the Dodge Guide.

I agree. The Dodge guide has very accurate sounding and has become very commercial over the years but it’s the Bible for the Abacos. Great routes.

Mangrove Cay Andros is much more interesting.

I don't actually think anyone would say that the Mangrove Cay we are talking about is "interesting," just a stop on the way to and from Abaco. In fact there is no where to land on the cay. Is is simply an anchorage. So not sure the comparison is valid?

Great feedback, guys. Thanks!
Menzies, for me as a pure Bahama’s newbee, the recommendation of the best guide book is big help - Cruising Guide to Abaco, Steve Dodge. Seems like the 2020 version comes out in Oct19 – I might wait for that. Your documentation list via link is a great tool, too.

Cardude, what is your cruise TTW speed when you cross?
Also, do you know if the northerly gulfstream requires much crab angle from WPB in April for your route? If so, I might have a shorter passage by starting south of WPB and heading do-East without crabbing, letting the stream push me north.

Mangrove Cay – Hah! So far I have found 3 Mangrove Cays, and of course every Cay has “Mangrove” noted on it.

We cruised at 6.5-7 knots across the stream. I aimed for a point about 15 miles below Memory Rock and let the stream carry me up. I did crab a little bit at times but would adjust the AP a degree to stop it.

Last edited:
Cardude, what is your cruise TTW speed when you cross?
Also, do you know if the northerly gulfstream requires much crab angle from WPB in April for your route? If so, I might have a shorter passage by starting south of WPB and heading do-East without crabbing, letting the stream push me north.

From which direction will you be approaching your departure point? If after crossing Lake O you will be coming south from Stuart, I would recommend leaving from West Palm. The reason being it is going to add a day to your trip to get to points south. You don't have to go all the way to Mangrove - West End is a nice stop to breath a bit and check in.

This sounds like a great trip, and would love to attend.

Anther newbe, never be to the Bahamas by boat, so would need to get up to speed and would prefer crossing in some sort of floatilla, but not in formation.

As a relatively know-nothing cruiser who has crossed over and back twice now, it was not a big deal for us. However, we had good weather both times, so that’s the key I think. Don’t get in a rush or have any schedule.

That maybe be a hard thing to do with a big group— have no schedule. But waiting around for a few days with a group of like minded cruisers would be fun as well.

Planning the trip closer to June will somewhat guarantee better weather, February is a crap shoot.

My SSO.

Planning the trip closer to June will somewhat guarantee better weather, February is a crap shoot.

My SSO.

I agree, as the wind tends to lessen and turn to the south.

However, many will have insurance requirements that mean they have to be back and outside of Florida by June 1.

Now if everyone is OK insurance wise or is willing to buy a short rider, then that can be looked at.

Living in south Florida I tend to forget about others hurricane limitations, if that is a problem May is a fairly good month but some cold fronts may push through.

Kind of loosly following this. Do we have a set Date and place for the TF Gathering or the Abacos Floatilla definitely interested in both!
Gregg

Wave heights from FL to Bahamas are forecasted at 1-2'. What a perfect time to head over there, weather-wise....uggg!

Is Bahamas customs allowing entry?

Bill. While they need tourists they may not need the China virus. Good question.

Bill. While they need tourists they may not need the China virus. Good question.

I would imagine, that most of the at-risk Bahamians, on islands with limited or no health care facilities, would rather be a little poorer, than dead.

Would love to go but worried about getting back in The USA as well as the unstable situation on the world

Was thinking about Lake O but it’s barely 12 feet at the moment

Yeah I saw the Bahamas has a few reported cases, so I’m sure they don’t want to import any more.

How are y’all doing in Miami Irv? Is it shut down or still pretty open? That wasn’t you I saw on the news the other day was it? Out there frolicking on the beach with the spring breakers? [emoji41]

Bill. My spring break days are long over, besides the girls today with tats and fish hooks in their nose, ears, bellybuttons don’t entice me.

We are doing fine in Miami but restaurants (sit down) are closed so Watfa is not happy. Shula’s doesn’t have take out delivery. Hope you and Jewell are enjoying the good life.

Back
Top Bottom