Boat Poopy Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bladow

Vessel Name
CraSeaHorse
Vessel Make
HiStar Seahorse
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Everyone,

We have poopy going up into the vent line when the tank isn't full. Poopy is suppost to run down hill; however, ours is going up into the vent line. We are confused. Does anyone have suggestions recommendations???

Thank you,
Cra Sea Horse
Susan & Kenneth Bladow

Tough one. Either the tank outlet to the vent line somehow extends below where it penetrates the tank or the tank is fuller than you think. Other than a sloshing effect in rough seas at a really big list, not much else is possible IMHO.

My guess is your vent line dips at some point. At one time your holding tank got full filling the vent line. Now you have affluent in the vent line that can’t drain out. As your tank gets fuller air is pushing the affluent stuck in the vent out.

This is a job for......

HEADMISTRESS!!!

Where are you, Peg? :)

The toilet would have be very powerful to generate enough air pressure to clear out the vent, but even if it can, sooner or later it gets rid of any waste in it. This appears to be a permanent condition.

A number of possibilities and maybe even a combination of more than one: a sag in the vent line where waste has overflowed into it...the vent fitting on the tank is on the end or a side instead on the top where it belongs, low enough for waste to flow into it before the tank gets full...rough seas is causing the boat to heel enough to cause a 3/4 full tank to spill into the vent.

We prob'ly need to assess your sanitation plumbing to determine what if any corrections need to made in it, especially the vent fitting location and routing. Send me a PM if you'd like my help with that.

--Peggie

A typical marina pumpout will suck the vent(s) clear if the “stuff” is soft. Sucks the head bowls empty too. Just check the vents for inward flow while doing a pumpout.

The tank is not full and the vent line is clear. So still scratching my head on this one...

Hi Peggie,
Not sure how to attach a picture to this thread.
We can send you a picture via text message if that's ok with you.
Thank you,
Kenneth & Susan

The tank is not full and the vent line is clear. So still scratching my head on this one...

How are you determining the tank isn't full? If using some form of gauge, it may reading incorrectly. Also, there may be an issue if the pump out hose goes into the tank from the top. Need to verify it's truly empty.

Ted

How long has the problem existed?
Never before now?
Always?
Ever since ________ was replaced?

Back
Top Bottom