Trucking a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whgoffrn

Veteran Member
Being a natural tight wad and penny pincher I'm always on the hunt for saving a buck ....especially when it comes to rent or in boating scenario dock slip fees...... I've got my boat stored on the hard for now ....and I'm wondering if it's cheaper to have the boat trucked a short distance and blocked up on land .... wonder if anyone on here has done this or checked into it ....I sorta wonder if it's a wash on costs ....if marina fee costs 3500 to store boat and 500 to haul launch..... but yet trucking company charges 1500 each way to haul and launch boat then rv lot charged 500 per year for storage totally a wash on costs
The RV lot in mind is at cocoa right off us 1 so prob 2 miles tops from icw yet I wonder what a trucking company would charge for moving a boat such a short distance then blocking it up....anyone check into this before ?

I wouldn’t move it. All things being equal in yard security, placement, exposure to vegetation, access convenience, etc., each time you load, unload, sling it, block it, or whatever, you’ll be taking additional risks that it will be done right.

While I have no experience on larger boats, be sure everyone who handles the boat (including you) has insurance that covers all of the "haul-out, slinging, storing, blocking, etc." for what they are doing for you.

I have done it for a Cape Dory 28 where the storage yard was a mile from the marina and the storage yard also did boat transportation- Triton Yachts, Oriental, NC. For 6 months of storage it was definitely cheaper to haul it to the yard.

To do this effectively you need a boat transporter with a hydraulic trailer that can unload and load the boat at the yard with no travel lift.

David

Surely, you've run numbers after a month. Be a participating member. Let us know your decision and why.

Last edited:
If the area supports it, got to be cheaper further from the water. Up in Maine, there are lots of hydraulic trailers and yards inland, streets cleared of overhead lines, etc. Also some places in the PNW. In California, no one has every seen a hydraulic trailer - almost exclusively travel lifts, which means put it on a lowboy and then hire a crane to unload - not cheap.

What type of boat and how big is it? Does it have a flybridge? If so it may have to come off, huge expense and potential leaks in the future.

even if it is a wash, you are safer in the rv yard during hurricane season in Florida

even if it is a wash, you are safer in the rv yard during hurricane season in Florida
Maybe.... maybe.
I though at least some of the marinas have installed tie downs for blocking ashore especially for hurricanes. Never saw a RV storage w tie downs.

"I though at least some of the marinas have installed tie downs for blocking ashore especially for hurricanes."

Boat yards are usually next to the water and seldom have great height.

The breeze is seldom the problem, an extra 10 or 15 ft of water can float the boats off their blocking .

If the marina is bare soil/grass, you can buy mobile home tie downs from Home Depot. They are large augers that can be screwed into the ground by hand and the assistance of a 3- 4ft pipe.No lasting damage to soil when removed. If it's asphalt, etc, it won't work. I used them for my trailer boat (pull the drain plug to save the suspension) and my utility shed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom