Remote shut diesel when winterizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Njlarry

Would like to find a way to shutdown my cat 3126s while in the engine room while winterizing. Being a sedan bridge (a trawler in wolf's clothing) I can't get to the controls fast enough. Someone said to de energize the fuel selinoid. I should be able to find it with the manual but can I deenergize it by shorting the wire going to it or must the wire be removed off it?
Thank you.

On my 3208N the solenoid is easily accessible. Perhaps you could add a switch in the line right at the engine to allow for deactivation right at the engine.

Many can be just operated manually by moving the linkage by hand. Not familiar w your Cat but my Yanmar is easily accessible near the on engine secondary fuel filter.
Here's what they look like and it also appears that if it has a red button on the end its a manual shut off.
Some have it some don't... the one pictured has it on the R end.
https://www.fridayparts.com/for-cat..._2cRnIFWE0oDKHITD1ss3ZlFrTnOCpz8aAlotEALw_wcB

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...biw=602&bih=964&dpr=1.33#imgrc=NCytxLL5hOSu9M

Last edited:
DO NOT SHORT IT. You may cause other trouble Besides blowing a fuse or c.b.

I agree about find the wire that controls the fuel solenoid and install a switch. I would suggest an On / Mom OFF so the switch is in the ON position all the time excerpt when you want to shut the engine down.

Do not use a cheapie switch. I don't know how much current the solenoid draws but is likely 5 -10 A. If you have a clampon ammeter use it to find out. Many inexpensive sw. cannot handle a large current and if the contacts burn then you have caused a problem.

Cole Hersey makes suitable sw. and they are able to handle up to 20 or 25A.

Don’t short it, pull off a wire or install a switch. (Solenoid may draw 7-8/A when it first opens but the “hold open” function usually draws much less).

Back
Top Bottom