How many hours after oil change for analysis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
How many hours after oil change for a proper oil analysis?

Preferably just before or at the time of the next regularly scheduled oil change.

I do mine when the engines have been running for some hours and just before draining the oil. I have small cocks in the oil galleries so I can draw oil with the engine running and the sample is the oil circulating thru the engine, not sitting in the bottom of the pan.

I would say at least 20 hours, but preferably more.

Pull a sample at each oil change.

I try to do a long run before changing the oil and filter. Sampling for analysis occurs just after shutting down and before pumping out the oil. Every oil change on the engine, transmission and generator gets oil analysis done as part of the service.

Ted

I take my samples as I prepare to do the oil change whether yearly or more often for unusually high hours that year.

I take my boat out for an hours run. No dock tie warmups as that does not heat the engine.

I have rigged mine so I can take a sample as the engine runs. I do a purge first to clear the line into an old peanut butter jar. THen I take the sample.
THis way there is no sump debris.

I will also take samples after what I call a Short Change to test for contamination levels immediately after I do any major work on the engine.
Then another after about 25 hr to see if whatever problem caused the work for me has worked.

Short change is dump the sump oil. I leave the filters alone. Replace with fresh oil, run the engine for 10 minutes to mix the old and new, take the sample.
Now I know what the new contamination level is.

THen 25 hrs, approx, later I take another . THis way I can see if the contaminant is rising again rather than waiting for 100 or so hours or untill the next oil change.

The gear gets it too.

THis is my routine since the early '90s.

When you “analyze” the lubricating oil, do you take the sample to an outfit to do the analysis, or are there kits for DIY people?

Should have explained further, I'm asking because I'm in the process of selling a boat which had a recent oil change and wondering how many hours I need to get on it so the analysis is legit.
I'll shoot for the 20 hours.

The oil tests are performed by an accredited lab. It is not , to my knowledge, a DIY.

Caterpillar SOS labs, Blackstone Labs are two good ones but there are others.
Cat kits can be attained at any Cat dealer, many heavy equipment shops and dealers and many good parts houses.

Most of these labs can perform tests other then just oil tests, coolant, fuel, etc.

Check Google for the locations or the phone book.

JG Lubrication Services is another lab I have used for boat and motorhome.
The owner is very knowledgeable on transmission fluids and worked on standards development and certification for Allison. They do engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant analysis.
The owner is readily available for Q&A if they arise.
You pre purchase sample bottles that include testing & reporting and just send in the sample in their bottle.

When you “analyze” the lubricating oil, do you take the sample to an outfit to do the analysis, or are there kits for DIY people?

Blackstone is my preference, but may others are available. I currently am paying $27 for testing including shipping when I buy 6 or more tests.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Ted

One thing I forgot about is to fill in all the info on the test kit form. Engine, model and year ,total engine hrs., hours on the oil, type of oil, viscosity and oil mfgr. and so on.

Also of course if you have a specific concern add that.

The less info available to them the less the test will be of use. Not none of course , just less.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom