Mosquito Creek Marina serves eviction on boats and boat houses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/t...serves-eviction-notice-to-all-vessels.244733/

May 31, 2024 300 boats and boat houses looking for moorage. Many liveaboards were long term. It is rumoured they plan to create a float home community.
https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/b37cc458-94ce-11ee-85b7-0242ac110005/?jwsource=cl

The owners
Nch’ḵay̓ was established in 2018 as the economic development arm of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation). It is fully owned by the Nation.

Its mandate is to develop, manage and own the active businesses of the Nation, and was created to allow for the separation of business and politics within the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw. The name Nch’ḵay̓ was chosen as a reference to the Great Flood – the flood that forced our ancestors to tie their canoes to the highest mountain in the territory, Mount Garibaldi, in order to survive.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I read that article and it sounds like this is due to renovation of the old docks. Quite a bit different that the situation in Ladysmith. Both are terrible situations for the folks involved. The float home community is interesting.

Hi Steve,

I read that article and it sounds like this is due to renovation of the old docks. Quite a bit different that the situation in Ladysmith. Both are terrible situations for the folks involved. The float home community is interesting.

Docks can be repaired without eviction. There will be new docks for floathouse, probably high end ones.

RHow is this different than Ladysmith. There they want to create a mini Granville Island.

Both are redevelopements eliminating moorage for boaters during a severe shortage of berths.

Not a pleasant time for all of the boat owners involved. Plus the fact that there also liveaboards and so few affordable options for housing in Vancouver/ lower mainland. Add to this, the Sunshine Coast is now seeing a impending ban on many docks and boathouses in light of a just released dock management plan.

That is a terrible thing to do just before Christmas.

I hope they find something else

Is there something similar to this happening in Pender Harbour, dock and boathouse removal mandated by the local native band? There was talk about this as we passed through there in August.

being caught up in the eviction, we still aren't sure if the float homes do need to be removed - there's no other places in BC to put them. They are making verbal commitments to permanent residents that they dont need to be removed by May 2024, but that situation could change after that date based on the assessment of work required and if capacity will be significantly reduced.

Vancouver already has a surge in demand for boat moorage, and it just got much much worse.

The angry boater at Sail Anarchy apparently can’t read their own material.

The post says: “They're evicting all boats & float homes to redevelop the space.”
The copied letter says: “This announcement does not affect tenants in float homes, who may safely remain in their moorages.”

The economics of float homes vs moorage makes sense to me.

Last night there was an online meeting and those in attendance were given some better news that the May eviction may be extended.

Soin2la, I do think the existing float homes are staying put as it was mentioned those docks are in good shape and do not need to be replaced and new docks will be built to accomodate more float homes. So far only one involved party has posted.

Those floats have been driftwood for decades.

It certainly makes for good headlines and social media hysteria. These business decisions take place on land, a thousand times over, every year; decisions that affect more than a small number of hobbyists and they all manage to move on.

It is too bad for those involved, but the anarchist angst is over the top. It’s just another segment of the “I’m a victim” society we have evolved into.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom