Old 08-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #1

City: Duvall, WA
Tug dreaming

Howdy all...I've popped my head into a few threads and figure I should probably make an introduction. Call me Pete...I'm a 40-something guy doing computer networking at Microsoft plus several side hustles in networking, photography, and personal development. Dreaming of a tug in the near future...here to soak up what I can and chime in on rare occasion.

pjtemplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Welcome aboard from a fellow photographer & Tug-Dude

Old 08-10-2020, 10:14 PM   #3

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
Welcome PJ. I'm just down the road from you in Snohomish.

As you're probably aware, Ranger, Nordic and American Tugs are all made right here in the PNW, so you're certainly in tug country. If you want opinions on Rangers, hit me up!
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome!

Greg.
GregBrannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:59 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Welcome to Trawler Forum.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #7
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Tug
a small, powerful boat used for towing larger boats and ships, especially in harbour
Is that what you have????

Let's call them what they really are, not what the marketing department makes up.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

Let's call them what they really are, not what the marketing department makes up.
Hey now, I use my Ranger 27 to haul gravel barges up and down the Sound all the time!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

You have a Milkraft? Are the cows milked aboard or is your vessel just designed to deliver packaged milk products? Being a raft, it must be engineless...do you need tugs to go anywhere?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Welcome to the forum. As Toki said, many "tug" brands built locally. Nordic and American Tugs were designed by the same man, use slightly different hulls, and are solidly built, and are operated by almost all owners at hull speed. Ranger are more lightly built, and more often run at planing speed. Of course there are other brands like Sundowner, Lord Nelson, etc. Good luck on your search.
Simi,
Why would it upset you to call a boat (model) by a part of it's brand (company) name? My boat is a Nordic Tug (brand) 37 (model), affectionately called a "Tug" by most owners and other local boaters. I almost always (daily) get comments from other boaters walking by (when at dock). Things like: "I really like your Tug", or "that Tug would be my "dream boat"". No it is not, and never has been a "commercial" tug. Many Kadey Krogen owners call their boats a "Krogen". I hope that is not upsetting? As Murray says, your boat does not look like a "raft", so why call it that?
Now we are trying to pick the "fly sh_t" out of the pepper corns.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: gulf coast
Buy a boat with the interior room that you need for living well. I am not a fan of tugs because they typically have narrow cabins and little bow flare and I will not be pushing barges. The recreational tug is just marketing BS.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I tend to disagree with those saying that the tug moniker is marketing BS. Do the majority of us trawl large nets behind our boats as commercial fishermen?

I would say the tug is a very recognizable design in recreational boats. Those with well rounded sterns and bows, usually with low freeboard. I would suggest that we all recognize a recreational tug design when we see one, even from a distance.

Simi, you need to wind yer neck in!!
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Hey, somebody else from Duvall. Let me know if you want to get together, distancing of course, and talk about boating.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
Guru

City: gulf coast
Trawler is all marketing bs as well. Would you buy a boat just because it was called a rocket ship or how about pirate ship or maybe gun boat?
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Trawler is all marketing bs as well. Would you buy a boat just because it was called a rocket ship or how about pirate ship or maybe gun boat?
No I would not buy a boat based solely on it's brand name (because it was somehow "catchy" as opposed to it's builder reputation), but likewise, I would not avoid a boat just because I didn't like the sound (or meaning (to a point)) of the brand name.
I agree with Menzies! Don't like the "Tug" look or marketing, then don't buy one. Lots of other choices.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Middle River MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Rocket ship or pirate ship - no.

Gun boat .....
jhall767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Then there's the Swift Trawler!
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Tugs are OK. Actually my favorite boat is a NT 32.
But IMO there’s nothing tuggy about Rangers. Planing hulls are so far removed from tug boats (actual) that the name falls totally flat for me. All these boats are cruisers. Heavy Cruisers and that’s what they were called in the 50’s. They didn’t call Monk boats trawlers, trollers or tugs.
A boat like a NT is heavier than a Carver or Bayliner. It’s a heavy cruiser. But trawler is so entrenched we may as well call heavy cruisers trawlers. But IMO “Tug” should be deleted and the silly “smokestacks” deleted as well.
We’re all trawlers except those that aren’t ... like Rangers.

Having said that you probably think I don’t like Rangers. Not true. Ranger has been in the boat business since the 60’s. The best and most beautiful FG canoe ever built was the Ranger canoe. They didn’t design it though. It was a product of a man named “Willist” and I’m almost sure I’ve got the spelling wrong. There usta be 50+ Willitz canoes in the U of Wash canoe house. All the same 17’ double planked cedar canoe. Great boat. Ranger made a FG replica from an old Willitz canoe.

If the Ranger tug style cruiser’s quality is much like the canoe they built it will be a very good boat indeed. But not a tug. There are Pleasure tugboats that are mostly small .. as in 14’ or so and many are rather stupid looking ... powered by many different kinds of engines very few being diesel. And mostly build in garages.

A boat becomes a trawler when it is heavier than typical cruisers like a Carver, Bayliner or other similar boats. And heavier limits speed as does sizable keels. Again the Ranger is’t a trawler. A pure planing hull w no significant keel. Personally I think trawlers should have some rocker but many don’t.

But the Ranger “Tug” is (as far as I know .. is a good boat). But it’s style that promotes people to call them a tug. Mostly or entirely just the imitation “stack” on the roof. I know no other feature that makes them “tug” in any way. And they should be compared to other cruisers with very similar hull design and weight.

Oh I should add that the classification issue Ranger Tug and all other cruisers that wish to post on TF are very welcome to do so.
So welcome to TF

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #19

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
The Nordic Tug was designed in the '70s following years of gas shortages and price increases. We could only buy gas on alternate days based on the last digit of our license plate. The story I was told (maybe myth??) is that the designers were looking to design and market a boat that would sell in this environment. "What looks good going slow?" drove the decision for hull style and "tug" moniker. My NT 37 does go slow and operates efficiently, just as the designers intended. We generally cruise at 7.5 knots and burn 1.8 gph.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #20

Wow, PJ's introduction sure took a detour!

A agree, the Ranger is by no means a "tug". Neither is the Nordic, American, or any of the other pleasure boats that are kinda sorta shaped like little tugs. But they all do share a distinctive style that's different than your average cruiser or trawler. High topsides, raised pilothouse, curved expansive windshields etc. So we call them tugs. It's a lot easier than saying "High-topsides-raised-pilothouse-curved-expansive-windshields-boats". If calling it a tug offends people, well, maybe they can seek therapy to deal with their emotions.

One correction on the Ranger High-topsides-raised-pilothouse-curved-expansive-windshields-boats, the "classic" (inboard diesel) models are considered semi-planing hulls. And I've got to say, it works! I can displace at 7 knots and sip less than 2 gal/hr, or I can plane at 14 knots if I'm OK with the fuel burn. Of course, anything in between those two speeds is a waste.

Now the newer outboard Rangers with full planing hulls ... even I'm having trouble calling them tugs!