How to buy a used boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
I haven't been on the forum much since we sold our Mainship 34 classic late last fall.
With the Mainship, I always had something to post with regards to improvement, since there was lots of stuff that needed doing during the time that we owned it.

Which brings me to the story of how we got lucky and found a turn key used boat when we decided we wanted a boat that was a little larger with more creature comforts than a 34 foot boat was able to provide. This forum is a good resource for lots of things and I have always used it a tool from which to garner boating information. After joining in 2016, I soon figure d out who had actual boating experience versus google boating experience.

One of those members with real experience is PSNeeld. I paid attention to PSN's posts which is how we happened upon his prior/our present boat. In the fall of 2021, I noticed some of Scott's post mentioned the possibility of him selling his Albin 40 trawler. I reasoned that a boat that he owned stood a good chance of being in better shape than other boats of a similar vintage. After he made a few references to the possibility of marketing his boat in the near future, I decided to send a message and let him know we would be interested in the boat when he decided to put it on the market.

Apparently, I was not the only one who was covertly following his posts because he informed me that there were two other parties interested in the boat ahead of us! Even though it was a 12 hour trip, I felt it was worth the effort to drive to Fort Pierce to take a look, despite the fact that there were potential buyers ahead of us. We made the trip and Scott gave us a three hour walk-through which barely covered the improvements and maintenance that he had done in his years of ownership. He showed the "new this", the "new that", the "changed this", the "upgraded that", what he did to "improve this", and what he would have "done differently" to that, etc., etc.

My poor head was in a foggy cloud when he finished with his abbreviated overview of the boat. What I gathered was that Scott is in person just as he is on the forum. An honest, straight-shooter that doesn't tolerate BS, but if he likes you, will give you the shirt off his back. Without a sea trial or even seeing if half of the systems worked, we left him a a deposit. Normally, I would now buy anything with a more formal survey, but we had a feeling that everything he told us he believed to be true. If I had to identify a fault of his, it would be that he is too honest. He spent almost as much time pointing out the things he was unhappy with as he did the things that he was happy with.
When we returned, he said he had not heard back from the person who had looked at the boat ahead of us and the boat was ours if we wanted it. We went ahead with the purchase and I will admit, I was a bit nervous about buying a boat without even seeing if it moves!

Scott was very very kind and offered to deliver the boat to St. Augustine from Ft. Pierce after the closing. That saved us several days of time we did not have. And I figure if something broke on the trip to St. Augustine, he would be the guy who knew how to fix it for us!

Well, he delivered it and the boat did fine! We kept the boat in the St. Augustine area for the next few months, doing things to make it ours and learning the systems, but never even leaving the slip! Come the departure date of April 9, we started the engine and took it as a good sign that the boat backed out of the slip with no issue! :)

Five days later, we arrived at our halfway point just south of Myrtle Beach, SC; where it stayed for six more weeks until school closed and Liz was off for the summer when we had time to bring it the rest of the way to Virginia. Fast forward to May 29 and here we are at our home in Virginia. For the maiden voyage, the boat ran flawlessly without a single system failure or issue for the entire 900 mile trip up the East Coast.

So, the point of this post is: if you are ever in the market to buy anything that Scott Neeld has to sell, I would recommend buying it! You won't be sorry!

some of the reasons we didn't hesitate to buy this boat
All of the plumbing lines have been replaced with pex (something I wanted to do on our last boat but never got around to it) plus the hot lines have been insulated AND a ball valve has been added prior to each fixture. Time consuming & not cheap.

Attachments

• 100_0411.jpg
    100_0411.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0412.jpg
    100_0412.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 29
The boat has been completely & correctly rewired, both AC & DC. Scott added DC sub panels throughout the boat and labeled most all of the circuits. That's a big help for me.

Attachments

• 100_0396.jpg
    100_0396.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0397.jpg
    100_0397.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 34
Some more examples of what you get when you buy a boat from a perfectionist:
A complete set of manuals of everything added over the years. He even sent us a folder in the mail of most all of the receipts of things purchased during his ownership. Again, this stuff is invaluable to someone like me.

Attachments

• 100_0387.jpg
    100_0387.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0425.jpg
    100_0425.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 29
Congrats on your new boat. Sounds like a beauty.

LOVE STORIES WHERE EVERYTHING TURNS OUT WELL!

Congratulations, sounds like you have a honey of a vessel!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom