Inexperienced new guy seeking answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chr1s

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently residing in Alberta, Canada, and I've always harbored a dream of owning a boat and embarking on long-distance cruises with my family. My ideal journey would take us from Vancouver to Mexico and then on to the Caribbean. However, the reality is that my older son is only 5 years old, and the younger one is just 1. So, it appears that we'll need to hone our boating skills in British Columbia and Washington while our kids are still young.

While I don't possess extensive knowledge of sailing, we did charter a boat once with a skipper and discovered that both my son and I don't suffer from seasickness even in rough weather. I have a deep affinity for sailboats, appreciating their tranquil and romantic ambiance. On the other hand, my wife prefers trawlers because of their spaciousness. She jokingly mentioned that she could settle for a larger sailboat! It's worth noting that both of us share a love for fishing.

I'm currently in the process of planning to purchase a boat in the coming year. However, I'm still grappling with the decision of whether to go for a trawler or a sailboat. We have a strong inclination towards the Grand Banks 42, but our budget is somewhat limited at 150,000 Canadian dollars.

We anticipate having at least three months available each year for cruising and are considering a two-year live-aboard experience for a more extended journey once our kids reach around 12 years of age, allowing us to homeschool them while exploring the Mediterranean.

Our annual budget for maintenance, fuel, and moorage is approximately 12,000 Canadian dollars. While I'm not particularly skilled in mechanics, I'm a quick learner. Nevertheless, due to the age of my sons, I don't anticipate having a lot of time to dedicate to fixing things.

Given our budget, the consideration of fuel costs, and our long-term aspirations, would a sailboat be the more cost-effective choice? I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights you might have on this matter.

Welcome aboard. Why not start with some safe boating classes?

I think I would look for a moderate sized trawler, maybe 40’ or less to hone your skills in the PNW while your kids grow up. Then with that experience in hand look for a blue water trawler. Those are usually a lot more expensive than a coastal only trawler which makes up about 95% of the market.

David

Buy the boat your wife wants.

But at your budget and your cruising destinations a sailboat may get you where you want to go.

$1k/mo CAN isn't much - barely cover slip rent. "Don L" recently posted his 7-year full liveaboard costs that you might find interesting.

You might want to consider a trailerable boat, power or sail. Years ago I knew a family of 3 on a Nor' Sea 27 that is trailerable with a F250.

Good luck. Please stay engaged - always interesting to see what twists and turns a dream can develop

Peter

Good luck. Please stay engaged - always interesting to see what twists and turns a dream can develop

Peter

I've been pondering this a bit myself, comparing my first post pre-boat goals/ambitions to where we actually are now in boat caretaking:).

IMHO Bluewater sailboat.

From a child safety perspective, I wonder if a sailboat would be a bit too much with two small ones aboard. As a single point of reference, consider the time it takes to whip a trawler around to recover a child overboard as compared to a sailboat under full sail.

I think I would look for a moderate sized trawler, maybe 40’ or less to hone your skills in the PNW while your kids grow up. Then with that experience in hand look for a blue water trawler. Those are usually a lot more expensive than a coastal only trawler which makes up about 95% of the market.

David

Thanks, David. A Grand Bank 36 seems like a very good choice for me to start with. The only concern is the single engine, but I guess as long as I stay close to the coast, it should be fine. I'll definitely upgrade to a better one when I gain more experience and make more money! LOL

But at your budget and your cruising destinations a sailboat may get you where you want to go.

Thanks, Charlie. I couldn't agree more – "Happy wife, happy life!" It seems that sailboats have a lower fuel consumption cost. I will definitely ask my wife to try out some larger sailboats to see if she likes it. Last time, the sailboat we chartered was 37 feet, and my wife did not like it at all

$1k/mo CAN isn't much - barely cover slip rent. "Don L" recently posted his 7-year full liveaboard costs that you might find interesting.

You might want to consider a trailerable boat, power or sail. Years ago I knew a family of 3 on a Nor' Sea 27 that is trailerable with a F250.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I will study the post you mentioned; it will be very helpful. I won't consider a towable boat. The main reason is that a smaller boat is too small for my family. I will keep you all updated as it is my dream to accomplish.

IMHO Bluewater sailboat.

Thanks. The sailboat would be my first choice if I were still single. I actually like Hunter/Bavaria very much, although they may not be qualified as bluewater sailboats. However, I don't have any ambitions to do any cross-ocean sailing as I am not young anymore and not inclined to pursue adventurous activities.

From a child safety perspective, I wonder if a sailboat would be a bit too much with two small ones aboard. As a single point of reference, consider the time it takes to whip a trawler around to recover a child overboard as compared to a sailboat under full sail.

Thanks, yes, safety is the highest priority. My older son actually did pretty well when he had his first sailing adventure. He was only 3, but he acted like an experienced sailor, not scared of swell and wind, following the captain's orders, calm, and happy. I don't know how my second son will behave, but a trawler will definitely meet my wife's safety concerns requirement.

Thanks, Charlie. I couldn't agree more – "Happy wife, happy life!" It seems that sailboats have a lower fuel consumption cost. I will definitely ask my wife to try out some larger sailboats to see if she likes it. Last time, the sailboat we chartered was 37 feet, and my wife did not like it at all
Chris, sailboats do use less fuel as the idea is to sail more. But the sails must be thought of as fuel. Eventually you will need new sails and then that cost will make the fuel used pale. just saying.

Thanks, yes, safety is the highest priority. My older son actually did pretty well when he had his first sailing adventure. He was only 3, but he acted like an experienced sailor, not scared of swell and wind, following the captain's orders, calm, and happy. I don't know how my second son will behave, but a trawler will definitely meet my wife's safety concerns requirement.
With small children aboard I recommend lifeline netting. Not terribly expensive or too difficult to install. Little ones can slip under the rails/life lines easily.

I will be pilloried here, but I would suggest a sailboat if you really are going to go to the Caribbean. OR, you would want a heavier trawler with stabilizers. Seas can get large enough in the Caribbean to make trawlering uncomfortable, especially between islands. Sailboats do a better job of handling the rough stuff.. Now if you get a Nordic tug or Katy Krogen, you won't have a problem. A GB 42 without stabilizers will give you excitement.

I will be pilloried here, but I would suggest a sailboat if you really are going to go to the Caribbean. OR, you would want a heavier trawler with stabilizers. Seas can get large enough in the Caribbean to make trawlering uncomfortable, especially between islands. Sailboats do a better job of handling the rough stuff.. Now if you get a Nordic tug or Katy Krogen, you won't have a problem. A GB 42 without stabilizers will give you excitement.
Agreed. Won't get pushback from me on any of this post. OP has a tight budget. More likely to find joy with sail than power.

Peter

Curious. What is it that she didn't like?

You mention cruising the Med? Is that intended for this first boat purchase? If so you will find shipping cost would rule this out.

Also as pointed out $12k might be possible but not very realistic and would not even provide for normal repairs. I would seriously consider reducing your initial budget to $100k and keep a healthy reserve. Boats have a way of surprising you with major expenses that are difficult to plan for.

If your destination is Mexico I would consider purchasing in SoCal or Mexico vs buying in BC and making the voyage. Plane tickets are much less than the cost of a Canada to Mexico transit and safety for your family is paramount.

The only concern is the single engine, but I guess as long as I stay close to the coast, it should be fine.

The single versus twin argument is a constant thread here and I hate to start it here, but I have to say that if fed clean fuel -- at least three filters between the tank and the engine -- diesels are highly reliable. Both Morning Light and Fintry are singles -- we crossed the Atlantic in Fintry.

Unless the boat has heavy, expensive, drag producing, skegs under twin screws -- I don't know of any stock boats that do -- I believe that twins are actually less reliable because the props and rudders are vulnerable to almost anything in the water. A well protected single is a better bet and with some experience is just as maneuverable.

Jim

Sweetwater -- Swan 57 sloop on which we circumnavigated 1995-98
Fintry -- x Royal Navy Fleet Tender -- owned 2003-2022 18,000 miles including trans-Atlantic The Fleet Tender Fintry
Morning Light -- Webbers Cove 42 single screw trawler 2021- 23
?? Going back to sailing after Morning Light is sold.

Albertan as well.

Power is good choice if your wife prefers. A 36-37’ Tri cabin would fit your family well. A well maintained one (requires searching) would be well within your budget. However, your monthly costs seem a bit light. Where we are (one of the lower priced marinas in BC and here moorage and insurance will likely cost you $7,000-8,000.standard maintenance with few upgrades I would expect to be $6,000 to $10,000 depending upon condition (could be higher). Single leman 120 is a good motor simple to maintain. Good luck. Just do it.
FYI, I am retired now and spend 6 months of the year floating.

For cruising the PNW a sailboat is inferior. Very little wind on average, sitting in the rain while you motor, and then not seeing much scenery through small portholes after anchoring. Traveling under power in a boat is not as aesthetic or interesting as sail but the reality is that most traveling is done under power. Sail is best only for long passages or daysailing, not for cruising.

The same is true for Mexico and the Med. People do sail from island to island in the Caribbean due to the trade-winds but that is the exception.

I recommend you buy a modest trawler for your cruising and also a small trailerable daysailer for doing some racing with your kids, when you might have some breeze.

Chris, sailboats do use less fuel as the idea is to sail more. But the sails must be thought of as fuel. Eventually you will need new sails and then that cost will make the fuel used pale. just saying.

Thanks, SteveK. Yes, that is true, and to be honest, I actually prefer something simple and reliable. Probably, a motor is better eventually for my family.

Last edited:
With small children aboard I recommend lifeline netting. Not terribly expensive or too difficult to install. Little ones can slip under the rails/life lines easily.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I will purchase and install that.

Last edited:

Thanks. When I read your reply to my wife, she immediately agreed and said the sailboat is considerable. LOL.

Last edited:
You mention cruising the Med? Is that intended for this first boat purchase? If so you will find shipping cost would rule this out.

Also as pointed out $12k might be possible but not very realistic and would not even provide for normal repairs. I would seriously consider reducing your initial budget to $100k and keep a healthy reserve. Boats have a way of surprising you with major expenses that are difficult to plan for.

If your destination is Mexico I would consider purchasing in SoCal or Mexico vs buying in BC and making the voyage. Plane tickets are much less than the cost of a Canada to Mexico transit and safety for your family is paramount.

Thanks, Ken. Our plan is to sail in the Mediterranean with the first boat if it is capable and our finances allow. Our monthly maintenance budget is not fixed, but we aim to keep it low for the first 1-2 years. I have confidence that I can generate some extra income from investments or rental income. I do not want to purchase the boat at our final destination; instead, I prefer to keep it in British Columbia so we can use it frequently while the kids are young. When the kids are young, long flights are challenging for us, but we'll it later when the kids are ready for longer flights.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom