Hi from the new guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Covequest

Vessel Name
Northern Pursuit
Vessel Make
Custom Trawler
Thanks for having me aboard. My name is Mike, I am not exactly new to this forum. I have used it quite a bit in the past for information on my cruising adventures.We like cruising in the northern latitudes, our last trip was to Glacier Bay and the gulf of Alaska. My wife and I are planning to head north, the goal is to transit northwest passage from west to east and I have decided to formally join as I will be needing a whole lot of information. We’ve spent the last 18 months looking for a boat suitable( and that we can afford) to take us on the next stage of our adventures. Just bought this steel trawler that has been meticulously maintained and is laid out how we like it …mostly. I’m looking forward to some great conversations on this site!

Attachments

• IMG_8727.jpg
    IMG_8727.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 37
Welcome aboard or should I say: 'welcome back' !

Welcome aboard/back. The NW passage is the ultimate in difficult daunting passages and has a high pucker factor.
West to east is easier IF the passage opens. if it doesn't, the retreat is a long push to safety requiring lots of fuel.
I wanted to do it when I was younger, had the knowledge and the body. My wife never would have gone. I am too old now.

Welcome, of course we are going to need to know all about your boat, and please don’t leave out any details ;-)

She’s a 1982 Custom steel trawler 1/4 “ plate hull with a heavy I beam keel. Twin DD 453’s, Suzie generator, nice stand up engine room with the generator in the lazarett. 4 blade props on either side of a single keel and rudder( I am thinking that’s why the bow thruster was added) hydraulic bow thruster, winch and windlass. 1000 gallon fuel tanks and 1200 gal fresh water tanks. She’s got decent electronics but I’ll be upgrading to new equipment with forward scanning sonar, sensitive radar, satellite navigation, Doppler stuff and probably a few more goodies. Probably keep some of the existing as redundant equipment. The original designer thought her out really well as a tough, comfortable cruiser, she was built in BC by Dereck Verhey who was well known for building tough commercial boats. Two head two cabin layout. Lots of wood inside. Portuguese Bridge, steel railings( needs a couple more on the top deck).Two diesel heaters and diesel hot water heater. Concrete and lead ballast helping add to the 79k lbs displacement. Paravanes, crows nest, nice hydraulic davit.
I’m pretty exciting to get her up north and do some exploring!

Last edited:
What is her estimated fuel consumption and range on that 1000 gallons?

1800 miles 4gph @7.5 knts

Last edited:
I have twin 453's with N45 injectors @112 hp/2,500rpm
Your fuel burn sounds about right. You will likely have to run at 6 knots and still plan on freezing along the way as heat uses a lot of fuel. Plan a year in advance to bank fuel at Cambridge Bay or Gjoa Haven.
Sounds like a solid boat but marginal for the NWP. Make water as you burn fuel keeps the boat in balance.

Hey PierreR
Do you have heat exchanger hoses run off those 4-53’s?
If so are they off the top of the water pump?

Welcome back, and I too have spent a lot of time lurking this forum sponging knowledge. My Uncle is taking his first SE Alaska trip in his 1972 GB 56 with the Waggoner group on a guided cruise up to Alaska and this annual trip may be a good way to get your first trip with some buddy boats around?
https://waggonerguide.com/flotillas/

Hey PierreR
Do you have heat exchanger hoses run off those 4-53’s?
If so are they off the top of the water pump?
I have four heat exchangers in addition to engine cooling, on each engine. They are engine oil, fuel oil, transmission and air compressor. I do not think they are plumbed directly off the raw water pump. I think they are plumbed off the engine heat exchanger at the front of each engine. They are plumbed in series. I can look next time I am at the boat. I am about to remove them for cleaning and new hoses. The air compressors run stabilizers

Last edited:
I am planning to take hot water from one engine to heat the hot water tank while underway, finding info on where to plumb the lines on a 453 is not easy!

Welcome back, and I too have spent a lot of time lurking this forum sponging knowledge. My Uncle is taking his first SE Alaska trip in his 1972 GB 56 with the Waggoner group on a guided cruise up to Alaska and this annual trip may be a good way to get your first trip with some buddy boats around?
https://waggonerguide.com/flotillas/
Thanks
I’ve been up to Alaska already, glacier bay and a short stint in the gulf. My home port is Haida Gwaii so not too much farther to get into Alaskan waters. We are planning to head up to the Aleutian’s next year then further north the following season. Would be nice to find a boat or two to be in contact with further north for sure!

@Covequest
My apologies as I made an assumption that you were just getting started up there where the opposite is true. Home port of Haida Gwaii sounds all sorts of amazing and a like a great starting point to get into some amazing cruising spots. Don't know if it would be helpful in your case, but Cruising Sea Venture on YouTube has some great content around what you are considering and they are a fun watch.

Welcome Aboard - I'm out of Oak Harbor and get up close to your area every 5 or so years. Never been to Haida Gwaii side though.

@Covequest
My apologies as I made an assumption that you were just getting started up there where the opposite is true. Home port of Haida Gwaii sounds all sorts of amazing and a like a great starting point to get into some amazing cruising spots. Don't know if it would be helpful in your case, but Cruising Sea Venture on YouTube has some great content around what you are considering and they are a fun watch.
lol no worries, I’ll check Cruising Sea Venture, ya lots of great spots up our way!

Back
Top Bottom