Greetings from Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterP

Vessel Name
Rhapsody & Blue
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
Hi All:

We are pleased to join this community. My wife and I have been boating on the Maine Coast for about thirty years, having sailed a good part of that and being the founder of the Coastal Maine Sailing Club. We purchased a Wilbur 34 Downeaster with flybridge about nine years ago and though we really enjoyed that boat, the brightwork became an ever increasing ordeal to maintain each year. We sold her last summer and purchased a 2003 Mainship 400 "Rhapsody & Blue" (new name). This is a great boat that we look forward to safely enjoying for several more years. I'm an active member of the USCG Auxiliary, having served in several positions. Happy to talk about cruising in Maine with anyone.

Peter and Sue

Attachments

• Rhapsody & Blue.jpg
    Rhapsody & Blue.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
Welcome from a fellow Mainer. :thumb: We're hoping to bring our new to us boat north this summer. Hopefully we'll cross paths. Spent time training with Capt. Tom, whom you may know from the auxiliary.:)

Welcome! Penobscot Bay is great!

Welcome back to the coast of Maine.

Without even a close second as the best cruising in the world.

:)

:hide:Your right But I used to work in the ER, words like that could get you admitted to the psych unit for 3 days :rofl:

Peter
Welcome aboard TF. Maine is sure a beautiful state.
We've been going to New Harbor on Pemaquid Point for 25+ years and absolutely love it.

Did I hear my name mentioned?

Welcome! You'll like the Mainship. Another Auxiliary member down here in Southern Maine had one and used to do patrols, in between cruising the ME/NH/MA coast. Very comfortable and capable platform for both activities.

Thanks! We have been eyeing them for a few years. Counting the days to spring launch. Which flotilla are you a member of?

We launch in first few days of June and haul in early October, but some launch in early May and haul later in October. Occasionally, we can still have a Northeaster like rain storm that comes up the coast in May and can be risky for boats and docks.

Thanks Peter. We are not much different in southern New England. Usually late April till late October. There are a few boaters that are earlier and later, but not really worth it IMO.

Southern Maine is pretty universally May 15th to October 15th, if you go by marina seasonal rates. Farther north the season does shrink a bit. The reality is, it's a rare day to see many recreational boaters out before June 1st. Things really start to slow down by mid-September. Sailors tend to stay out a bit later, to catch the stiff fall breezes.

I'm amazed at how many people stop boating after labor day. Sept and Oct are often my favorite times to be on the water.

PeterP, We sold our GB 36 after 16 yrs for the same reason. Loved that boat but eventually the brightwork got the best of me. We bought an older Maine-built to replace it and guess what, it's got absolutely zero bright work! Yay!! Looking forward to cruising the ME coast at a little faster pace too. It's a 60% increase going from 8 to 12 kts.

Welcome aboard from NWFL where the boating season is 7/365, well, except today with a bad front moving through....:)

Back
Top Bottom